ADVERTISEMENT

John O'Neill Can Kiss My @ss

The Song Remains the Same

Sep 20, 2016
https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-...ll-referee-penn-state-ohio-state-ohio-stadium

In November 2012, Penn State was down 27-23 on the road against 16th-ranked Nebraska, but the Nittany Lions were threatening to take the lead. Redshirt senior quarterback Matt McGloin snapped the ball with 7:46 to play from the 3-yard-line on 2nd-and-goal. He turned immediately to his right and fired a swing pass to tight end Matt Lehman, who darted for the goal line and launched himself towards it, despite two Cornhuskers in his path. Just after he reached the ball across the line, linebacker David Santos knocked the ball free and into the end zone, where it was recovered by Nebraska safety Daimion Stafford.

Replays on ABC showed that Lehman had, in fact, reached the ball across the goal line before Santos knocked it out of his hands. As the play went to review, ABC broadcasters Sean McDonough (the current play-by-play for Monday Night Football) and Chris Spielman both agreed that Lehman had scored.

"No doubt," McDonough said.

"Six points, Nittany Lions," Spielman agreed.

Referee John O'Neill upheld the call on the field. Nebraska would hold on for a 32-23 win.

In 2014, Ohio State came to Happy Valley trying to builds its resume back up after a tough early season loss to Virginia Tech. The 13th-ranked Buckeyes were clear favorites, but the White Out atmosphere was always an X-factor for visiting teams.

On the first Penn State drive of the game, Christian Hackenberg threw a weak pass to his right intended for wide receiver Matt Zanellato. Defensive back Vonn Bell jumped the route and knocked the ball to the ground with 13:07 to play in the first quarter. As he went to the ground, Bell attempted to get his arms underneath the ball but failed to do so. He did manage to fool the referees on the field, but within two seconds of seeing the replay, ESPN broadcasters Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge agreed that the call would be overturned.

Referee John O'Neill upheld the call on the field. Ohio State drove down 39 yards and scored a touchdown to take a 7-0 lead.

Later in the first half of that same game, Ohio State lined up for a 49-yard field goal on 4th-and-25. With 11:13 left on the second quarter clock, the Buckeyes snapped the ball and Sean Nuernberger kicked it through the uprights to put Ohio State up 10-0.

The play clock had hit zero with 11:16 on the clock, more than two seconds before the ball was snapped. Referee John O'Neill's crew did not stop the play to call Delay of Game on Ohio State. Ohio State went on to win the game 31-24 in double overtime.

I don't think they send Oneil next week to PSU, he might not get out alive with shenanigans like that.....

Reactions: ralphster
I doubt PSU sees Mr. O two weeks in a row.
But it wouldn’t surprise me if he showed up in Columbus for the PSU-OSU game.
Prepare not to be surprised. But they will have other crooks in the wings...it’s not just O’Neil...it’s the Comfetrnce.

Reactions: blmr31
Did Franklin say anything in the Presser? Why do we even have an AD if she is going to allow this to continue game after game, year after year, decade after decade?

Who knows, sounds like the big ten network cut his mic. If the athletic dept won’t send one maybe we can take advantage of a certain fan in Johnstown who is passionate about writing them.

Reactions: Madsol and Ughhh
72469788_10219199105195955_1684291336594784256_n.jpg

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-...ll-referee-penn-state-ohio-state-ohio-stadium

In November 2012, Penn State was down 27-23 on the road against 16th-ranked Nebraska, but the Nittany Lions were threatening to take the lead. Redshirt senior quarterback Matt McGloin snapped the ball with 7:46 to play from the 3-yard-line on 2nd-and-goal. He turned immediately to his right and fired a swing pass to tight end Matt Lehman, who darted for the goal line and launched himself towards it, despite two Cornhuskers in his path. Just after he reached the ball across the line, linebacker David Santos knocked the ball free and into the end zone, where it was recovered by Nebraska safety Daimion Stafford.

Replays on ABC showed that Lehman had, in fact, reached the ball across the goal line before Santos knocked it out of his hands. As the play went to review, ABC broadcasters Sean McDonough (the current play-by-play for Monday Night Football) and Chris Spielman both agreed that Lehman had scored.

"No doubt," McDonough said.

"Six points, Nittany Lions," Spielman agreed.

Referee John O'Neill upheld the call on the field. Nebraska would hold on for a 32-23 win.

In 2014, Ohio State came to Happy Valley trying to builds its resume back up after a tough early season loss to Virginia Tech. The 13th-ranked Buckeyes were clear favorites, but the White Out atmosphere was always an X-factor for visiting teams.

On the first Penn State drive of the game, Christian Hackenberg threw a weak pass to his right intended for wide receiver Matt Zanellato. Defensive back Vonn Bell jumped the route and knocked the ball to the ground with 13:07 to play in the first quarter. As he went to the ground, Bell attempted to get his arms underneath the ball but failed to do so. He did manage to fool the referees on the field, but within two seconds of seeing the replay, ESPN broadcasters Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge agreed that the call would be overturned.

Referee John O'Neill upheld the call on the field. Ohio State drove down 39 yards and scored a touchdown to take a 7-0 lead.

Later in the first half of that same game, Ohio State lined up for a 49-yard field goal on 4th-and-25. With 11:13 left on the second quarter clock, the Buckeyes snapped the ball and Sean Nuernberger kicked it through the uprights to put Ohio State up 10-0.

The play clock had hit zero with 11:16 on the clock, more than two seconds before the ball was snapped. Referee John O'Neill's crew did not stop the play to call Delay of Game on Ohio State. Ohio State went on to win the game 31-24 in double overtime.

Yeah I was sitting in the north end zone and turned to my buddy and said delay of game, then looked back and saw the OSU kicker kick a FG. People complain about the blown interception call with good reason, but at least there was some semblance of an excuse (replay equipment problem) but there is absolutely no excuse or discretion in allowing a FG to count when its kicked 3 seconds after the clock expired since there is an official whose only responsibility is to watch the play clock In typical Big Ten BS fashion, the league quietly admitted later the next summer that both calls were wrong.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
Yeah I was sitting in the north end zone and turned to my buddy and said delay of game, then looked back and saw the OSU kicker kick a FG. People complain about the blown interception call with good reason, but at least there was some semblance of an excuse (replay equipment problem) but there is absolutely no excuse or discretion in allowing a FG to count when its kicked 3 seconds after the clock expired since there is an official whose only responsibility is to watch the play clock In typical Big Ten BS fashion, the league quietly admitted later the next summer that both calls were wrong.
But no consequences. The league is corrupt and we need to get out.

They arent going to change conferences , that isn't even on the table.
It would be if we had leaders. We are getting raped and it has been going on for decades. Enough is enough. It’s sad to see us walked over. If we can’t stand up for ourselves, maybe we deserve what we get. Ohio Statev and Michigan had less bad call against them in a decade of football than we had just tonite. This is beyond the pale.

It would be if we had leaders. We are getting raped and it has been going on for decades. Enough is enough. It’s sad to see us walked over. If we can’t stand up for ourselves, maybe we deserve what we get. Ohio Statev and Michigan had less bad call against them in a decade of football than we had just tonite. This is beyond the pale.
I wouldnt use the rape term , also there are bad calls but its not as bad as everyone on here seems to think. I figured 87's TD was going to be called back before they even reviewed. He was a couple of inches short. What happened after with holding that may or may not be called all the time? Fans on here spend way too much time how we are always getting screwed by refs . The OSU game was far worse with bad equipment and the clock . PSU won the game!

I wouldnt use the rape term , also there are bad calls but its not as bad as everyone on here seems to think. I figured 87's TD was going to be called back before they even reviewed. He was a couple of inches short. What happened after with holding that may or may not be called all the time? Fans on here spend way too much time how we are always getting screwed by refs . The OSU game was far worse with bad equipment and the clock . PSU won the game!
And that “ oh it was not that bad” attitude will get PSU more of the same. Rape a bad word for what you witnessed tonite? In the context of life - yes. But in the context of college football?? What would you call it? bTW, did you see the goal line replay of PF’s TD. He was clearly in and FITB it to be overturned he needed to be clearly short. That is cheating pure and simple! O’Neil called it a judgement call! Uh no - that is not the rule dude. And he is paid to do this. Just inexcusable!

And that “ oh it was not that bad” attitude will get PSU more of the same. Rape a bad word for what you witnessed tonite? In the context of life - yes. But in the context of college football?? What would you call it? bTW, did you see the goal line replay of PF’s TD. He was clearly in and FITB it to be overturned he needed to be clearly short. That is cheating pure and simple! O’Neil called it a judgement call! Uh no - that is not the rule dude. And he is paid to do this. Just inexcusable!
Have a beer man. You could tell on first replay before it was even brought up he was just short. It may not have been enough to overturn but he was short. I agree that that tiny monitor on the field is a problem . The constant PSU gets screwed every game stuff gets old. best way to combat is overcome it when it is there and win. I can understand the OSU game when equipment was malfunctioning but the whole complete conspiracy theory on every call is ridiculous. PSU should have taken care of it by running Cain next play and not holding

Have a beer man. You could tell on first replay before it was even brought up he was just short. It may not have been enough to overturn but he was short. I agree that that tiny monitor on the field is a problem . The constant PSU gets screwed every game stuff gets old. best way to combat is overcome it when it is there and win. I can understand the OSU game when equipment was malfunctioning but the whole complete conspiracy theory on every call is ridiculous. PSU should have taken care of it by running Cain next play and not holding
Wrong skippy. The referee did not apply the rule accurately and he ignored the best angle which clearly showed PF in the end zone. That is clear cheating and not the first time (by a long shot( that this has happened to PSU. Do you work in the Big10 office or are you really this naive?

Just watched this game . Didn't read thread yet , Want to add John O'Neil should lose his job F him x 30. What a frikken joke. Good on this team. What an embarrassment the bias against Pen State

Can someone explain the defensive holding call on the Oweh sack late in the 2nd? I missed it last night and they didn’t show any replay during the BTN replay this morning. Set up that huge drive for them.

The bad part about the play is the "Booth" overturned the call of TD, that means 1 or more officials watched the replay, and still got it wrong.

The multi billion industry that the NCAA is , should have a pool of officials nationally like the NFL, pay them and randomly place them at least for power 5 teams. If officiating was and is fair why do non conference games have split officials, or why do conferences have their own officials in general

Reactions: PSUSignore
LOL - watching the replay:

‘False Start - Penn State - Every player but the center.’

WTF?

Are you new to watching PSU games? Do we need to list all the screw jobs we’ve been involved in? This is going on for over 2 decades. Enough is enough
Going by your logic and law of averages, it should even out over time. Do you think it realistically has?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT