ADVERTISEMENT

Joe's statue

How important is it to you that the statue of Joe be brought back?

• I will not be happy until it is.

Votes: 113 35.5%
  • It would be nice, but I don't dwell on it

Votes: 115 36.2%
  • It doesn't matter that much to me

Votes: 90 28.3%

• Total voters
The statue is down, of course. Putting it back UP would basically be "un-doing" that and it would bring various PR to the University. And most of that PR would be no good. There would not be a "positive ROI" involved with putting the statue back up.

Like it or not, JoePa's reputation remains pretty low amongst most folk. This hasn't really changed over the last 6 years (despite many posters here telling me this would change).

Besides, JoePa is honored elsewhere around the University.

Move on from the statue. It's in the best long-term interests of Penn State, my alma mater, to do so.

That is only your opinion about best long-term interests.

I’d like to move on from the statue if the idiots in charge at the time didn’t make such stupid short-term decisions.

Reactions: Zenophile
The statue is down, of course. Putting it back UP would basically be "un-doing" that and it would bring various PR to the University. And most of that PR would be no good. There would not be a "positive ROI" involved with putting the statue back up.

Like it or not, JoePa's reputation remains pretty low amongst most folk. This hasn't really changed over the last 6 years (despite many posters here telling me this would change).

Move on from the statue. It's in the best long-term interests of Penn State, my alma mater, to do so.
I'm sorry-Joe's reputation remains low amongst most folk?

Qualify that statement.

I'm sorry-Joe's reputation remains low amongst most folk?

Qualify that statement.

Any time michie crosses paths with someone who may not link lowly of Joe, he takes it upon himself to make sure that person then does. So, in michie's world, literally everyone thinks lowly of Joe.

I'm all for honoring the man, on campus, in as public a manner as possible -- but man, I really disliked that statue. I thought it was a terrible likeness, and the raised "We're #1" finger wasn't representative of who he was or how he conducted himself. Granted he was fiercely competitive, but I think he would've preferred to be remembered for the impact he had on his players' lives rather than something as temporal as "We're #1."

That's just me. I never met the man, but I just didn't think that statue represented him accurately physically or characteristically.
I met Joe a bunch of times but I too disliked the statue. The pose was not something Joe did and it was kind of corny. The statue should have been Joe standing with his arms crossed taking in the action, obviously analyzing what was happening on the field. I saw that pose a thousand times at Beaver Stadium.

Fine. Joe Paterno followed the "letter of the law." I'll grant that.

He was also fired --- deservedly fired --- for his insubordination toward the Board of Trustees in November 2011. That was well before the Freeh Report's release in July 2012.

So Joe is someone who (1) deservedly got fired and (2) didn't really do anything as regards Sandusky beyond the minimum "letter of the law."

That merits the statue going back up? I thought statues, and the "form of immortality" that statues grant, were for people who were truly extraordinary?

For most of the 2000s, Joe was about as ordinary as can be. His teams were generally average, he didn't do beyond the bare minimum at any aspect of his job (e.g., he didn't recruit much, he didn't try to find better assistant coaches, he didn't try to innovate his offense), and he thought he could call his own shots and didn't have bosses to answer to.

Joe was one of college football's best in the 1970s-1990s. But there's really not much about him in the 2000+ era that was extraordinary.

Joe was not fired for insubordination. You've already been taken to task on that. Did you just make that up to fit your agenda?

Your bias is showing. There is no minimum or maximum in regards to the "letter of the law", you either follow it or you don't. Joe followed it, and thus did the legal MAXIMUM.

Joe was truly extraordinary, you even say he was one of the best for most of his career. That's 3 decades of being one of the best... who else can say that? Being average (your words, he had a few great seasons in the 2000s) for the last couple of years doesn't erase the rest of his career. It's ridiculous to judge him only on a few cherry picked years. You also only consider the only the field results. He had more impact than just on the gridiron.

Any time michie crosses paths with someone who may not link lowly of Joe, he takes it upon himself to make sure that person then does. So, in michie's world, literally everyone thinks lowly of Joe.

LOL. It's a chilly day in Westminster, Colorado. But suddenly, a gust of hot air has appeared!!! This hot air - its origins appear to be to my northwest.

I guess I'll chalk that up to downsloping winds. :)

Credit to you for not calling me a Michigan fan.

Last edited:

He was also fired --- deservedly fired --- for his insubordination toward the Board of Trustees in November 2011. That was well before the Freeh Report's release in July 2012.

So Joe is someone who (1) deservedly got fired and (2) didn't really do anything as regards Sandusky beyond the minimum "letter of the law."

That merits the statue going back up? I thought statues, and the "form of immortality" that statues grant, were for people who were truly extraordinary?

For most of the 2000s, Joe was about as ordinary as can be. His teams were generally average, he didn't do beyond the bare minimum at any aspect of his job (e.g., he didn't recruit much, he didn't try to find better assistant coaches, he didn't try to innovate his offense), and he thought he could call his own shots and didn't have bosses to answer to.

Joe was one of college football's best in the 1970s-1990s. But there's really not much about him in the 2000+ era that was extraordinary.
You're smarter than that. Only taking into account the football is a joke. He was used as the point man relative to fund raising for decades for this school and there's no doubt he helped raise billions. He put Penn State on the map. It's just that simple.
And he followed proper reporting protocols and followed up with Mike and that's per Mike. The bot also knew Joe was retiring at the end of the year.
He was scapegoated because a bad guy happened to be an ex coach and surma and his family were out to destroy Joe for years.
He definitely fell off and stayed too long but don't ever discount what that man did for this school. It's extrordinary you would be dismissive of his incredible service to this school.

I met Joe a bunch of times but I too disliked the statue. The pose was not something Joe did and it was kind of corny. The statue should have been Joe standing with his arms crossed taking in the action, obviously analyzing what was happening on the field. I saw that pose a thousand times at Beaver Stadium.
I didn't like the #1 finger held up.

You're smarter than that. Only taking into account the football is a joke. He was used as the point man relative to fund raising for decades for this school and there's no doubt he helped raise billions. He put Penn State on the map. It's just that simple.
And he followed proper reporting protocols and followed up with Mike and that's per Mike. The bot also knew Joe was retiring at the end of the year.
He was scapegoated because a bad guy happened to be an ex coach and surma and his family were out to destroy Joe for years.
He definitely fell off and stayed too long but don't ever discount what that man did for this school. It's extrordinary you would be dismissive of his incredible service to this school.

It’s also interesting that he makes it only about football and the performance of the football team. The irony is that he always wants to throw bricks at the Paterno family, but he is helping reinforce the Emmert and Freeh “all about football” mentality of which Penn State was accused.

Last edited:
LOL. It's a chilly day in Westminster, Colorado. But suddenly, a gust of hot air has appeared!!! This hot air - its origins appear to be to my northwest.

I guess I'll chalk that up to downsloping winds. :)

Credit to you for not calling me a Michigan fan.
Funny thing is he thinks more highly of UM fans.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
In all seriousness, where do you think the statue is being stored? on campus? off campus?

You would think someone who knows would have let slip and word got out over the years.

Would be a good documentary on finding the hidden 7 foot, 900 pound statue that just went missing one night in July 2012.
Geraldo will uncover the mystery!

Talk about circular reasoning. One of the biggest reasons that Joe’s reputation is low nationwide is that Penn State threw him under the bus and refused to defend him despite the evidence clearly exonerating Joe. Now you are saying PSU shouldn’t honor Joe because of this poor reputation?

I would love to see the statue back. I also think that the stadium should be named after Joe Paterno. Now, what would make me really happy is if all this happened after winning a National Championship.

Reactions: RussianEagle
I would love to see the statue back. I also think that the stadium should be named after Joe Paterno. Now, what would make me really happy is if all this happened after winning a National Championship.
I agree with those who didn't like the statue since it didn't look like Joe nor was it a pose he ever struck. The real issue isn't the statue per se but rather the reasoning used to remove it. I believe Joe should be publicly honored at Beaver Stadium but to statue itself isn't a big deal to me. Also, naming the stadium after Joe wouldn't be something he's be a fan of. He likely gained more satisfaction by seeing his name on the library. However I do love the national championship idea.

I wouldn't mind naming the field after him, but I wouldn't want the name of the stadium changed. They really need to put his name back on the B10 championship trophy!

Reactions: RU31trap
In all seriousness, where do you think the statue is being stored? on campus? off campus?

You would think someone who knows would have let slip and word got out over the years.

Would be a good documentary on finding the hidden 7 foot, 900 pound statue that just went missing one night in July 2012.
My thought was that it went back to the creator. All the work that went in to it, just to be hauled away and stored somewhere doesn't seem right to the person that labored over it.

I agree with those who didn't like the statue since it didn't look like Joe nor was it a pose he ever struck. The real issue isn't the statue per se but rather the reasoning used to remove it. I believe Joe should be publicly honored at Beaver Stadium but to statue itself isn't a big deal to me. Also, naming the stadium after Joe wouldn't be something he's be a fan of. He likely gained more satisfaction by seeing his name on the library. However I do love the national championship idea.

What matters is no so much the statue itself but the reasoning for why the statue was taken down in the first place. Someone believed Joe Paterno was a pedophile protector. I'm sure Joe would not care about a piece of metal or whether or not the stadium gets named after him, but I'm damn sure he'd care about the fact that he has been smeared morally.

Now that being said bring back the players that were behind the statue there was never any reason to remove them, they had nothing to do with anything that happened.:mad:
:mad:
If youre talking about the plaques on the wall, they were destroyed in the removal

But still the stated reason was.....
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State trustees, faced with continued alumni and student criticism for firing football coach Joe Paterno, on Monday released a statement intended to underscore their rationale for his ouster: "failure of leadership" for his actions following a reported sex assault involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky.

The board found that while Paterno fulfilled a legal obligation to tell his superiors that an employee claimed Sandusky abused a young boy in a shower, it said Paterno should have done more.

"We determined that his decision to do his minimum legal duty and not to do more to follow up constituted a failure of leadership by Coach Paterno," the trustees wrote.

I really didn't know the law was a max/min problem

Nah, move it to Indy and put it outside of Emmert's office to remind that smug POS how badly he f--ked up.
Giving it some more thought though I like yours a lot, my second choice would be at my tailgate and my first choice would be at Sue Paterno’s Center on Park Ave. so everyone going that way to and from the game, or weekdays to the Creamery would be able to remember Joe and the feckless BOT that put him away.

How about the failure of the PSU BOT. You know, the guys that did not secure the buildings at night. I think that was one of Freeh's 119 governance failures. It was apparently Joe's responsibility to..........lock up when he went home for the day. Hey, besides Garban stepping down, did anyone on the BOT ACCEPT real responsibility for that boo boo and their related..........mischief.

Joe's reputation remains low? In about 4 areas of America, Oakland PA, Michigan, Columbus and East Brunswick. I live in MD and it's not nearly as many people think poorly of him as you think. My uncle who is an OSU alum but lives in Austin texas, he loves Joe and says most down there think he got jobbed.

IMO

If JVP's family wants it back up - - - - put it back.

If not, forget about it.

Either way, SHOULD be a simple situation (of course, it has been made into anything but simple - for God knows what reasons).
Not to state the obvious, but the problem is that even if it wanted to, and I don’t think it does, the University can’t put the statue back unless and until the Freeh narrative is debunked or at least put in proper context. The prevailing public opinion, cemented in place by his firing, the Freeh report and the recent movie, is that Joe either actively concealed or turned a blind eye toward Sandusky’s crimes. If the statue is returned to its rightful place it will become a lightening rod, a distraction and be defaced or worse. I wish it weren’t so, but that is reality.

Reactions: PSUPride1

Oh please. 1. He did the minimum only if you believe the prevailing narrative. 2. He was insubordinate in YOUR opinion. Since when is announcing one’s impending retirement insubordination warranting dismissal, particularly if you are an exemplary, 61 year employee who has done so much for the university? 3. The statistics belie your argument that the teams over the last 7 years of Joe’s career were average. 4. Joe was busier in his 80’s then you are now.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Joe's reputation remains low? In about 4 areas of America, Oakland PA, Michigan, Columbus and East Brunswick. I live in MD and it's not nearly as many people think poorly of him as you think. My uncle who is an OSU alum but lives in Austin texas, he loves Joe and says most down there think he got jobbed.
I live in Austin and I do not agree with your uncle's assessment of the general thoughts on Joe here. Just two weeks ago I was called a supporter of child abuse because I told someone I went to PSU and told them "it's complicated" when they asked what I thought about Joe.

Are you aware that there is a plague at the “A” entrance which reads “In honor Joe Paterno’s coaching Career.”

Oh please. 1. He did the minimum only if you believe the prevailing narrative. 2. He was insubordinate in YOUR opinion. Since when is announcing one’s impending retirement insubordination warranting dismissal, particularly if you are an exemplary, 61 year employee who has done so much for the university? 3. The statistics belie your argument that the teams over the last 7 years of Joe’s career were average. 4. Joe was busier in his 80’s then you are now.

1. Where exactly did Joe do more?

2. Telling your bosses that they "shouldn't spend a single minute discussing my status" is absolutely insubordinate. That letter was Joe's attempt to pull a power play on the Board. Didn't work, blew up in his face.

3. Last 7 years: the 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011 teams were all nothing special. That's the majority of the 7 years from 2005-2011. Not to mention the 2000-2004 era which came before those 7 years: most of those teams were below-average. As I said, Joe's teams, IN THE AGGREGATE, were simply average over the 2000s (2000 - 2011).

4. The valid comparison isn't "JoePa vs. michnittlion" but rather "JoePa vs. the earlier versions of himself." And JoePa had clearly lost his fastball in the 2000s, as compared to the 1970s-1990s. It's not "knocking" Joe to point all that out. It was self-evident even at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT