ADVERTISEMENT

Joe's statue

How important is it to you that the statue of Joe be brought back?

• I will not be happy until it is.

Votes: 113 35.5%
  • It would be nice, but I don't dwell on it

Votes: 115 36.2%
  • It doesn't matter that much to me

Votes: 90 28.3%

• Total voters

nittany dave

Dec 1, 2001
Since we are coming up on 6 years since the statue of Joe was taken down, just curious as to what the responses would be. Please don't read anything into the questions. Thanks very much for your votes and comments.

Since we are coming up on 6 years since the statue of Joe was taken down, just curious as to what the responses would be. Please don't read anything into the questions. Thanks very much for your votes and comments.

I never liked the statue anyway so I don't really care about it but I would like to see some recognition by the University.
Now that being said bring back the players that were behind the statue there was never any reason to remove them, they had nothing to do with anything that happened.:mad:
Same for all the posters inside the stadium that were supposedly taken down for "cleaning" (yea the asshats can't even lie convincingly) 6+ years ago.:mad:
Put some new ones up.:mad:

The University (which I assume has the statue in storage somewhere) should gift it free of charge to anyone who desires to put it on their own property.

It doesn't belong, IMO, on Penn State University land any longer.

Why does it not belong on PSU property any longer?

The University (which I assume has the statue in storage somewhere) should gift it free of charge to anyone who desires to put it on their own property.

Oh boy.

giphy.gif

michnittlion

I knew that. But, I want him to tell us all why it does not belong on Penn State property. I think we are talking about a man who gave millions of dollars to the University, was the lynchpin in many fund raising efforts, and, after all, has the library named for him. That describes a guy who is the embodiment of someone the University should celebrate. Don't ya' think?

michnittlion
Bottom line, I really don't care. If Joe is honored, I don't care either way if the statue is part of it.

After reading this however, I think we should somehow

1. Acquire it
2. Have someone divide it into 100,000 small fragments
3. Sell them for $100 each
4, Donate $10M to wherever Sue wants.

I will buy 10 and disperse them around campus, so it will always be there

The Food Services Building has Rodney Erickson's name on it. I mean if Rod can get that kind of accolade when--as he was accurately portrayed--he is the walking definition of "feckless," then I don't see how Joe's likeness or tribute should never be on Penn State owned land.

I personally never liked that particular statue but there should be one of Joe.

Pinwheels don't cut it.

rrmShKp.jpg

Reactions: Zenophile
Bottom line, I really don't care. If Joe is honored, I don't care either way if the statue is part of it.

After reading this however, I think we should somehow

1. Acquire it

2. Have someone divide it into 100,000 small fragments
3. Sell them for $100 each
4, Donate $10M to wherever Sue wants.

I will buy 10 and disperse them around campus, so it will always be there

and put it on michnittlion's lawn.
giphy.gif

I'm all for honoring the man, on campus, in as public a manner as possible -- but man, I really disliked that statue. I thought it was a terrible likeness, and the raised "We're #1" finger wasn't representative of who he was or how he conducted himself. Granted he was fiercely competitive, but I think he would've preferred to be remembered for the impact he had on his players' lives rather than something as temporal as "We're #1."

That's just me. I never met the man, but I just didn't think that statue represented him accurately physically or characteristically.

In all seriousness, where do you think the statue is being stored? on campus? off campus?

You would think someone who knows would have let slip and word got out over the years.

Would be a good documentary on finding the hidden 7 foot, 900 pound statue that just went missing one night in July 2012.

I'm all for honoring the man, on campus, in as public a manner as possible -- but man, I really disliked that statue. I thought it was a terrible likeness, and the raised "We're #1" finger wasn't representative of who he was or how he conducted himself. Granted he was fiercely competitive, but I think he would've preferred to be remembered for the impact he had on his players' lives rather than something as temporal as "We're #1."

That's just me. I never met the man, but I just didn't think that statue represented him accurately physically or characteristically.

Yep, it was a HORRIBLE piece... compounded by the awkward, poorly-rendered relief in the background (of the four players, apparently following JVP onto the field)... the whole assembly reeked of amateur sculpture

In all seriousness, where do you think the statue is being stored? on campus? off campus?

You would think someone who knows would have let slip and word got out over the years.

Would be a good documentary on finding the hidden 7 foot, 900 pound statue that just went missing one night in July 2012.

I would think the Paterno family knows or they should. I mean they paid for it.

Reactions: MilesBarkley
Why does it not belong on PSU property any longer?

The statue is down, of course. Putting it back UP would basically be "un-doing" that and it would bring various PR to the University. And most of that PR would be no good. There would not be a "positive ROI" involved with putting the statue back up.

Like it or not, JoePa's reputation remains pretty low amongst most folk. This hasn't really changed over the last 6 years (despite many posters here telling me this would change).

Besides, JoePa is honored elsewhere around the University.

Move on from the statue. It's in the best long-term interests of Penn State, my alma mater, to do so.

Last edited:
I knew that. But, I want him to tell us all why it does not belong on Penn State property. I think we are talking about a man who gave millions of dollars to the University, was the lynchpin in many fund raising efforts, and, after all, has the library named for him. That describes a guy who is the embodiment of someone the University should celebrate. Don't ya' think?

There you go.

JoePa is currently "celebrated" --- or at the very least "acknowledged" --- by Penn State.

I don't support taking his name (or his wife's name) off the library.

Perhaps they should gift the library to somebody who wants to put it on their property.

Like many others, I believe the statue itself was a lousy representation and likeness of Joe. However it's removal announced that he was responsible for Sandusky's crimes, which was total BS.

So instead of erecting another statue, how about we just have a public hanging of some of the principals behind this miscarriage of justice? Y'know, the Surma's, Corbett, Paul Suhey, etc... and leave all the bodies hanging outside the Beav until the flesh rots away from the bones? BTW while we're at it we can remove Rodney Erickson's name from the Food Science Building. ;)

The statue is down, of course. Putting it back UP would basically be "un-doing" that and it would bring various PR to the University. And most of that PR would be no good. There would not be a "positive ROI" involved with putting the statue back up.

Like it or not, JoePa's reputation remains pretty low amongst most folk. This hasn't really changed over the last 6 years (despite many posters here telling me this would change).

Besides, JoePa is honored elsewhere around the University.

Move on from the statue. It's in the best long-term interests of Penn State, my alma mater, to do so.

The "un-doing" is the exact reason they should put it (or a new version) back. The university screwed up by removing it, and needs to admit that. Joe followed state law, university policy, and current NCAA guidelines. His minor involvement in the Second Mile/Sandusky scandal should have bolstered his stellar legacy. The university should highlight his appropriate actions, and use it as a platform to prevent future abuse... instead of their current stance of shaming the reporter. Unless of course you don't care about the victims of CSA?

Move on from moving on. Putting it back is in the best long-term interests of Penn State, my Alma Mater.

The "un-doing" is the exact reason they should put it (or a new version) back. The university screwed up by removing it, and needs to admit that. Joe followed state law, university policy, and current NCAA guidelines. His minor involvement in the Second Mile/Sandusky scandal should have bolstered his stellar legacy. The university should highlight his appropriate actions, and use it as a platform to prevent future abuse... instead of their current stance of shaming the reporter. Unless of course you don't care about the victims of CSA?

Move on from moving on. Putting it back is in the best long-term interests of Penn State, my Alma Mater.

Fine. Joe Paterno followed the "letter of the law." I'll grant that.

He was also fired --- deservedly fired --- for his insubordination toward the Board of Trustees in November 2011. That was well before the Freeh Report's release in July 2012.

So Joe is someone who (1) deservedly got fired and (2) didn't really do anything as regards Sandusky beyond the minimum "letter of the law."

That merits the statue going back up? I thought statues, and the "form of immortality" that statues grant, were for people who were truly extraordinary?

For most of the 2000s, Joe was about as ordinary as can be. His teams were generally average, he didn't do beyond the bare minimum at any aspect of his job (e.g., he didn't recruit much, he didn't try to find better assistant coaches, he didn't try to innovate his offense), and he thought he could call his own shots and didn't have bosses to answer to.

Joe was one of college football's best in the 1970s-1990s. But there's really not much about him in the 2000+ era that was extraordinary.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCANole

He was also fired --- deservedly fired --- for his insubordination toward the Board of Trustees in November 2011. That was well before the Freeh Report's release in July 2012.

So Joe is someone who (1) deservedly got fired and (2) didn't really do anything as regards beyond the bare minimum "letter of the law."

That merits the statue going back up? I thought statues were for people who were truly extraordinary?

For most of the 2000s, Joe was about as ordinary as can be. His teams were generally average, he didn't do beyond the bare minimum at ANY aspect of his job (e.g., he didn't recruit, he didn't try to find better assistant coaches, he didn't try to innovate his offense), and he thought he could call his own shots and didn't have bosses to answer to.

Joe was one of college football's best in the 1970s-1990s. But there's zero about him in the 2000+ era that was extraordinary.

Fvck you.

Put it in the sports museum.

I recall how proud we felt when Bryant gave money and got his name on a football stadium but Joe gave money and got his name on a library. I remember when Switzer said Joe wasn't like the rest of us. So I'm OK if Joe's statue never goes back up at the stadium. I just don't like when the university tries to pretend he never existed.

P.S. The guy who signed off on allowing JS to bring kids into the Lasch Building got his name on the Creamery. That's disgusting!

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

I think it's long gone, never to be seen again. Nothing to base this on other than the vile human beings who are running the school into the ground would take pleasure in getting rid of it for good.

So Joe is someone who (1) deservedly got fired and (2) didn't really do anything as regards Sandusky beyond the minimum "letter of the law."

That merits the statue going back up? I thought statues, and the "form of immortality" that statues grant, were for people who were truly extraordinary?

For most of the 2000s, Joe was about as ordinary as can be. His teams were generally average, he didn't do beyond the bare minimum at any aspect of his job (e.g., he didn't recruit much, he didn't try to find better assistant coaches, he didn't try to innovate his offense), and he thought he could call his own shots and didn't have bosses to answer to.

Joe was one of college football's best in the 1970s-1990s. But there's really not much about him in the 2000+ era that was extraordinary.
Get your stories straight. JVP was not fired for insubordination. The BOT fired him for failure to lead....

Masser testified under oath Joe wasn't fired for anything he did or didn't do. In essence that means he was fired for no reason at all.
But still the stated reason was.....
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State trustees, faced with continued alumni and student criticism for firing football coach Joe Paterno, on Monday released a statement intended to underscore their rationale for his ouster: "failure of leadership" for his actions following a reported sex assault involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky.

The board found that while Paterno fulfilled a legal obligation to tell his superiors that an employee claimed Sandusky abused a young boy in a shower, it said Paterno should have done more.

"We determined that his decision to do his minimum legal duty and not to do more to follow up constituted a failure of leadership by Coach Paterno," the trustees wrote.

I really didn't know the law was a max/min problem

But still the stated reason was.....
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State trustees, faced with continued alumni and student criticism for firing football coach Joe Paterno, on Monday released a statement intended to underscore their rationale for his ouster: "failure of leadership" for his actions following a reported sex assault involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky.

The board found that while Paterno fulfilled a legal obligation to tell his superiors that an employee claimed Sandusky abused a young boy in a shower, it said Paterno should have done more.

"We determined that his decision to do his minimum legal duty and not to do more to follow up constituted a failure of leadership by Coach Paterno," the trustees wrote.

I really didn't know the law was a max/min problem
I love that statement. "Failure of leadership" was dreamed up after the kitchen got too hot. More importantly, there is no such thing as a "minimum legal duty". It's not something measure in degrees. Either a duty is fulfilled or it isn't.

The statement simply underscored the fact of the BoT shitting its collective pants.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Reactions: WHCANole
It should be brought back, along with a public flogging of the BOT members who decided to take it down.

Regardless of how you feel about Sandusky’s overall innocence or guilt, it’s very clear that the “rape in the shower” witnessed by McQueary never happened.

You passing judgement on the greatest educator coach in the history of college football is hilarious. How big are you in your own mind? Terms like misanthrope and narcissist seem so inadequate.

The funny thing is I really didn't care about the statue very much until the BOT made such a production about taking it down, when the facts were largely unknown and didn't really implicate Joe in any way. That's the only reason I really give a crap about it now. The BOT basically incited the battle about the statue through one of their many PR blunders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT