ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Smith to Redshirt this year.

Sportfan2017

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2017
With this news.....Ohio State's odds of winning the National Championship took a slight tick upward. Oh well....even more interesting.

With this news.....Ohio State's odds of winning the National Championship took a slight tick upward. Oh well....even more interesting.
Smith at best is a maybe against Jordan. IMO this means nothing to PSU nor Ohio State.

It would be completely and totally shocking, barring an injury, for Fix to go in 2017-18. Piccininni, Brock, and Heil are a dynamite trio.

I speculated a bit in another thread last week about OSU's lineup options, after someone (vhsalum, I believe) noted that Brock has a tough cut to 133. Hypothetically speaking, suppose it is, indeed, a real bear for him to keep going 133 this year -- I could see a scenario where Fix mans 133 this season while Brock shirts, waiting to move into 141 next year after Heil has graduated.

OSU might have more realistic title hopes next year as opposed to this year, especially if some guys bump up a class next year. I think I had suggested it made sense for Smith to shirt this year under a "load-up and bump-up" strategy for next year.

2018-19
125 Picc
133 Fix
141 Brock
149 Lewallen/Gfeller
157 Martinez
165 Joe Smith
174 Rogers
184 Jacobe Smith
197 Weigel
285 White

If neither Smith nor Brock shirted this season, that 2018-19 lineup would be senior-stacked in a big way. Shirting both this year would help extend their services into 2019-20, avoiding a tall task of having to replace a ton of guys at once. And neither has to starve himself this season to keep making 133 and 157.

EDIT: Just read the "something to ponder" thread and see there was discussion on the status of Brock's shirt. My recollection was that his shirt was pulled his freshman year, but since he then got injured almost immediately after, the shirt was allowed to be "put back on". So, I guess I'm in the camp that thinks he doesn't have a shirt to use (after all). My bad.

Last edited:
I speculated a bit in another thread last week about OSU's lineup options, after someone (vhsalum, I believe) noted that Brock has a tough cut to 133. Hypothetically speaking, suppose it is, indeed, a real bear for him to keep going 133 this year -- I could see a scenario where Fix mans 133 this season while Brock shirts, waiting to move into 141 next year after Heil has graduated.

OSU might have more realistic title hopes next year as opposed to this year, especially if some guys bump up a class next year. I think I had suggested it made sense for Smith to shirt this year under a "load-up and bump-up" strategy for next year.

2018-19
125 Picc
133 Fix
141 Brock
149 Lewallen/Gfeller
157 Martinez
165 Joe Smith
174 Rogers
184 Jacobe Smith
197 Weigel
285 White

If neither Smith nor Brock shirted this season, that 2018-19 lineup would be senior-stacked in a big way. Shirting both this year would help extend their services into 2019-20, avoiding a tall task of having to replace a ton of guys at once. And neither has to starve himself this season to keep making 133 and 157.
Noticed this exchange earlier today with respect to Weigel.

screen.png

The Weigel situation seems to be unfolding real-time. Even the folks on "holding" don't know.
I sure don't know what is happening. Just saw him Saturday, with team signing autographs. Flo had video of him with team Friday night, and he looked fine. Guess I will have to wonder across the street tomorrow.

Reactions: PSUaggie
Not sure why all the downward trend talk on the Pokes. That lineup looks very strong to me, even without Jojo. Pokes will have something to say in Cleveland about the outcome.

Not so sure about that. Yes, they have a strong lineup relatively speaking, but PSU and tOSU are still a bit ahead. They are also going to have a hard time placing ahead of Michigan, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT