ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Moorhead info.

Penn State fans need to be honest here…Moorhead was the best Offensive Coordinator we have had in the past 10 years. He led us to a Big Ten Championship and our offense has not looked good since he departed several years ago. He would be a good hire for Iowa.

Moorhead was without a doubt the best offensive coordinator in Penn State history. He was at Penn State for only 2 years but during his tenure the offense was explosive as hell, won the B1G championship, and beat Ohio State. Penn State’s offense has not been anywhere near explosive since.

At Oregon, Moorhead was the OC who took a mediocre QB and traveled to Columbus Ohio and made the buckeyes defense look silly. His 2nd win against Ohio State.
LOL! Not even close! the 1994 Penn State offense with Kerry Collins, Kijana Carter, Bobby Engram, Kyle Brady, Mike Archie, Brian Milne, Jon Whitman, Bucky Greely, Andre Johnson, Keith Conlan, Marco Rivera & Jeff Hastings is considered one the best in CFB History. I would put that offense up against anyone!

The RPO sucks! It is gimmick offense that can't pick up key yards when you need them the most. There is a reason no Pro-Team uses it. Stick to pro-style like we did under Joe!

Reactions: Ski and hoflane
LOL! Not even close! the 1994 Penn State offense with Kerry Collins, Kijana Carter, Bobby Engram, Kyle Brady, Mike Archie, Brian Milne, Jon Whitman, Bucky Greely, Andre Johnson, Keith Conlan, Marco Rivera & Jeff Hastings is considered one the best in CFB History. I would put that offense up against anyone!

The RPO sucks! It is gimmick offense that can't pick up key yards when you need them the most. There is a reason no Pro-Team uses it. Stick to pro-style like we did under Joe!
What offense did joe run in the 6-4 Iowa loss?

In 2003 psu had the same offense, same coordinator yet the team scored 25 less pts a game than in 1994. What was the excuse?

Last edited:
Reactions: JimNazium

The topic and question raised by the original poster was about offensive coordinator not offenses. You have confused the two and are really talking about a different topic.

If you do not think Joe Moorhead was the greatest offensive coordinator in Penn State’s program history, please provide your nominee.

The topic and question raised by the original poster was about offensive coordinator not offenses. You have confused the two and are really talking about a different topic.

If you do not think Joe Moorhead was the greatest offensive coordinator in Penn State’s program history, please provide your nominee.
Fran Ganter is the best OC in PSU history. I judge by wins and NCs. He wins hands down!

Fran Ganter is the best OC in PSU history. I judge by wins and NCs. He wins hands down!

He was great when he had 3 top ten picks, 5 NFL RBs. 2 NFL WRs, and 5 drafted OL on one team. What happened to his offense in 2001-2003? 25 less points a game in 2003. Only two games over 24 pts(Kent st and Indiana).

There's a rumor on our board (Iowa) that Joe Moorhead might be the "mystery" OC candidate Ferentz is talking to. I know he used to be your OC and the HC at Mississippi State, but not much more than that.

How would you describe his tenure in Happy Valley? What were the circumstances surrounding his departure (e.g., fired, left for another gig, etc.)? How would you describe his offensive philosophy?

Thanks in advance.
Moorhead and Ferentz are oil and water, they would never blend successfully.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Mcsorley, Barkley, Hamilton, Godwin, gesicki, ,miles sanders, DeAndre thompkins, Saeed blacknall, juwan Johnson, nick bowers, irv Charles +.

He will never have that talent at Iowa.
Exactly. His schemes. Minus that level talent in the Big Ten especially with the new teams will not cut it.

Too small of a sample size to say the best in history. Two years doesn’t tell anyone enough to be able to make that distinction.

he was very good, Penn State won the Big Ten in his first year after he turned around the offense.

However, as others have mentioned, he seems to refuse to put the QB under center. He would run these really slow handoff plays even on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. There were key points during his tenure when PSU could not get an easy first down or TD because of it. I would go as far as saying it cost PSU a chance to go to the playoff in 2017.
If this goes through you will find yourself watching for the line to gain on any 2nd down play. Typically fans love 3rd and 1 because in theory this should be a conversion or chance for a big play. We punted many, many times which was maddening....especially with the talent we had.

He was great when he had 3 top ten picks, 5 NFL RBs. 2 NFL WRs, and 5 drafted OL on one team. What happened to his offense in 2001-2003? 25 less points a game in 2003. Only two games over 24 pts(Kent st and Indiana).
You say that as if Moorhead's teams weren't also loaded with talent.

Exactly. His schemes. Minus that level talent in the Big Ten especially with the new teams will not cut it.

MOorhead is just a name they were throwing on the wall. They were also listing Bill Obrien and NFL guys. The main name I read over there was Paul Chryst. Wisconsin, ground and pound. That makes sense for Iowa.

Thanks! I don't remember the last time Ferentz went up-tempo, so he would have to seriously step out of his 1'x1' box. I wouldn't bet on that happening. Stubborn SOB...
You must have forgotten the game where PSU faked injuries to slow down Iowa's potent, fast break offense! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT