ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Harbaugh speaks at "right to life" event

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I don't want this thread to get political but JH did this last week and he also had Colin Kaepernick host his spring football game. These are both pretty controversial actions. On one hand, I applaud his dedication to the causes he believes in. On the other, quite divisive and I wonder about how it might affect his recruiting.

I for one applaud it. Seems like he isn't red and isn't blue.....he is what we should all be, free. Free to choose what we want to support. Free to not be led around by people that could care less about our well being.

He should be prepared for both very positive and very negative feedback when he takes a public position on an issue as controversial and divisive as abortion. But he has a right to free speech just like everyone else, and if he feels strongly about it and is prepared for the feedback he will get, he should do it. College sports is essentially entertainment, and UM brass may therefore be concerned about his public image, so it wouldn't shock me if they asked him to refrain from becoming a lightning rod on issues like abortion.

I don't want this thread to get political but JH did this last week and he also had Colin Kaepernick host his spring football game. These are both pretty controversial actions. On one hand, I applaud his dedication to the causes he believes in. On the other, quite divisive and I wonder about how it might affect his recruiting.

When did babies become controversial?

Reactions: RickinDayton

Kudos for having balls. But it will likely come back to hurt him. Lots of people are very hardline on both of those issues.....and on both sides of those issues.....it will certainly come into play in recruiting wars.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Seems to be out of touch with the extremely woke politics of academia. Ultimately, Michigan will shut him up at least. If he hadn't had a good year last year, almost certainly it would find a way to fire him.

Give him some credit for sticking up for his beliefs.

I for one applaud it. Seems like he isn't red and isn't blue.....he is what we should all be, free. Free to choose what we want to support. Free to not be led around by people that could care less about our well being.
He's free to do what he wants to do and say. My only 2 beefs would be if his personal values and actions diverge from these public displays (some may find the public ones patronizing) or if he doesn't show respect for those with opposing views. As I don't have personal experience with him, I can't judge him one way or another.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I am assuming everyone who is impressed here is talking about supporting Kaepernick? The free speech support is about his kneeling.

• Wow
Reactions: ouirpsu
yes and no. They aren't considered a separate identity until they are born. However, if one is killed while still unborn (who is not the mother), that person would be charged with manslaughter.

The Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004
Not sure what point you're trying to make. So - the unlawful killing a fetus may subject someone to manslaughter charges. Still doesn't make the fetus a "baby" (by definition) and is not relevant at all. Bottom line - you can call it whatever you want (fetus, unborn child, developing human, embryo) - they are just words used by one side or the other to push their views without using real thought.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. So - the unlawful killing a fetus may subject someone to manslaughter charges. Still doesn't make the fetus a "baby" (by definition) and is not relevant at all. Bottom line - you can call it whatever you want (fetus, unborn child, developing human, embryo) - they are just words used by one side or the other to push their views without using real thought.
yes it does in terms of "manslaughter". If you killed a puppy or a cucumber there would be no charges. The law is all over the place on this and needs to be standardized.

Reactions: Ski
Wow, thought even you would understand the hypocrisy here.🤦🏻‍♀️ Kill a pregnant woman ....at any stage of the pregnancy....either accidentally or intentionally you will be charged for the ending of two lives. Yet in the twisted minds of liberals, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to terminate the pregnancy by killing a ‘blob of cells’ even at 8.5 months

Last edited:
Wow, thought even you would understand the hypocrisy here.🤦🏻‍♀️ Kill a pregnant woman ....at any stage of the pregnancy....either accidentally or intentionally you will be charged for the ending of two lives. Yet in the twisted minds of liberals, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to terminate the pregnancy by killing an blob of cells’ even at 8.5 months
How about an extremely premature baby that we will try desperately to save if the parents want it, but could easily be killed in the womb at a similar age. There are plenty of options to get out of being pregnant early enough to avoid these brutal discussions. Unless genetic birth defects are detected later in the pregnancy, I don’t see why anyone should need to be making such a decision in the second or third trimesters.

Wow, thought even you would understand the hypocrisy here.🤦🏻‍♀️ Kill a pregnant woman ....at any stage of the pregnancy....either accidentally or intentionally you will be charged for the ending of two lives. Yet in the twisted minds of liberals, it is perfectly fine and acceptable to terminate the pregnancy by killing an blob of cells’ even at 8.5 months
Yes - the unlawful killing of a fetus by someone who is not the mother may subject that person to manslaughter charges - but that just raises the issue as to what is "unlawful" - which is just a construct, based on what we decide as a society. I have no issue with someone who believes that it is wrong to abort or kill a fetus, but that is just your opinion -- likely guided by nothing more than your religious (and likely Christian) upbringing. It has no more validity than someone who believes that prior to viability (where the fetus is unable to breathe on its own or have any consciousness), the woman (together with her doctor, the father, her religious advisor, or anyone else she chooses to consult with) should be the only ones to determine what's in her best interest.

Yes - the unlawful killing of a fetus by someone who is not the mother may subject that person to manslaughter charges - but that just raises the issue as to what is "unlawful" - which is just a construct, based on what we decide as a society. I have no issue with someone who believes that it is wrong to abort or kill a fetus, but that is just your opinion -- likely guided by nothing more than your religious (and likely Christian) upbringing. It has no more validity than someone who believes that prior to viability (where the fetus is unable to breathe on its own or have any consciousness), the woman (together with her doctor, the father, her religious advisor, or anyone else she chooses to consult with) should be the only ones to determine what's in her best interest.
It’s far more than merely a legal construct. It is the question of when life begins. If the ‘unlawful killing of a fetus’ is manslaughter or some degree of murder it is by definition the ending of a life. Otherwise the charges would merely be some along the lines of destruction of property or at worse an illegal act resulting in injury.

But by charging manslaughter or worse the law is defining the fetus as an independent living being, regardless its independent viability. And since it is defined by law as a living entity why should the birthing person have the right to end it without cause?

So it is accidentally kill a fetus.....manslaughter or worse. But change your mind and kill a blob of cells within your body at 8.5 months gestation .....just fine.

Highly inconsistent, very hypocritical.

Reactions: Ski
It’s far more than merely a legal construct. It is the question of when life begins. If the ‘unlawful killing of a fetus’ is manslaughter or some degree of murder it is by definition the ending of a life. Otherwise the charges would merely be some along the lines of destruction of property or at worse an illegal act resulting in injury.

But by charging manslaughter or worse the law is defining the fetus as an independent living being, regardless its independent viability. And since it is defined by law as a living entity why should the birthing person have the right to end it without cause?

So it is accidentally kill a fetus.....manslaughter or worse. But change your mind and kill a blob of cells within your body at 8.5 months gestation .....just fine.

Highly inconsistent, very hypocritical.
No - you are using the fact that society makes the killing of a fetus manslaughter (the conclusion) to support your premise that it is the ending of an "independent living being." I believe they call that argument "petito principii" - or begging the question. And, it is not a logical argument. I can cite many instances in the law where the fetus is not considered a living being (i.e. you can't declare it as a dependent on your taxes, it apparently doesn't get you out of an HOV ticket violation, it's not entitled to inherit until it's born, etc.) -- that does not mean it's not an "independent living" being any more than your example makes it an independent living being.

And - it's not hypocritical or inconsistent to see the nuance in different situations. Comparing the killing of a wanted fetus by someone who is not the mother due to an unlawful act (drunk driving, physical abuse, etc.), to the mother aborting an unwanted fetus for health reasons or because she was raped or because the fetus has a defect (or whatever other reason) is not the same.

Last edited:

Thus plus giving his very large bonus to his staff places Jim with the good guys in sports.

No - you are using the fact that society makes the killing of a fetus manslaughter (the conclusion) to support your premise that it is the ending of an "independent living being." I believe they call that argument "petito principii" - or begging the question. And, it is not a logical argument. I can cite many instances in the law where the fetus is not considered a living being (i.e. you can't declare it as a dependent on your taxes, it apparently doesn't get you out of an HOV ticket violation, it's not entitled to inherit until it's born, etc.) -- that does not mean it's not an "independent living" being any more than your example makes it an independent living being.
I am not arguing when life begins. That’s above my pay grade. I AM pointing out the inconsistencies and hypocrisy of the laws and society. If a fetus cannot inherit, or is an independent on taxes, or other issues, then make the laws consistent and stop charging people for ‘killing a fetus’ in accidents or murder.

Inconsistencies in law destroy faith in the system. Killing a fetus is manslaughter or murder but an abortion is just removing a blob of cells. Abortions are a woman’s right but there is no such thing as a woman. Abortion is a right.....even though it or anything close to it is not anywhere in the Constitution but the right to bear arms.....which is clearly in the Constitution......isn’t a right in liberals minds.

Reactions: Obliviax
I am not arguing when life begins. That’s above my pay grade. I AM pointing out the inconsistencies and hypocrisy of the laws and society. If a fetus cannot inherit, or is an independent on taxes, or other issues, then make the laws consistent and stop charging people for ‘killing a fetus’ in accidents or murder.

Inconsistencies in law destroy faith in the system. Killing a fetus is manslaughter or murder but an abortion is just removing a blob of cells. Abortions are a woman’s right but there is no such thing as a woman. Abortion is a right.....even though it or anything close to it is not anywhere in the Constitution but the right to bear arms.....which is clearly in the Constitution......isn’t a right in liberals minds.
There are lots of unenumerated rights in the Constitution. Show me where in the Constitution it expressly says that you have the right to travel, the right to interracial marriage, the right to privacy, the right to burn the flag, or the right to vote. No one would argue that those are not Constitutional rights - yet they are not expressly in the Constitution. Those rights have been implied into the Constitution via various amendments (similar to how the right for a woman to choose was inferred). And no one is arguing that there isn't a right to bear arms - it's how that right is interpreted and exactly what that means that is constantly being debated. Show me where in the Constitution it says you have a right to bear ANY AND ALL arms, or a right to an AR-15.

Last edited:

Speaking of hypocrisy, how do you explain Capital punishment?

So, how do you explain Capital punishment?
There is a difference between being killed and being punished for taking someone's life. I turn that around the other way, how can one be against capital punishment (a murderer) and want to allow fetus that would survive outside the womb to be killed because the biological mother simply wanted that?

There is really a very simple answer to all of this. Abortions in the first trimester but not after; Abortions after only in extreme cases.

Maybe we should all take a step back after seeing some of our more prominent members of Congress being cuffed up and hauled off to jail simply for excising their 1st amendment rights.

Maybe we should all take a step back after seeing some of our more prominent members of Congress being cuffed up and hauled off to jail simply for excising their 1st amendment rights.
who is that?

Reactions: Fac
You mean the one that was cuffed but raised her fist in the air?
she wasn't arrested for using her first amendment rights but arrested for blocking traffic and not dispersing after being told to do so. it was all a planned event....her staff emailed media members to let them know she'd probably be arrested and they'd get a good photo opportunity. Just politics.

she wasn't arrested for using her first amendment rights but arrested for blocking traffic and not dispersing after being told to do so. it was all a planned event....her staff emailed media members to let them know she'd probably be arrested and they'd get a good photo opportunity. Just politics.
She's such a hypocritical POS. Trump was an ahole but had policies that worked. This birthing person is an ahole and her policies are a total disaster.

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT