ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ji’Ayir Brown returning to Penn State

Great news. J. Brown is a very good tackler/hitter and has a nose for the ball.

Secondary should be very good in 2022 with Brown, Ellis, and Reed at Safety, plus the 2022 class Safety's trying to get on the field. And Porter (likely, and with hopefully 75% less PI calls), Hardy, King, Dixon, Lytton, Wilson and a couple of developing players, Wheatley and Davis, at CB. Maybe either Lytton or Wheatley end up at Safety as well.

Secondary should be very good in 2022 with Brown, Ellis, and Reed at Safety, plus the 2022 class Safety's trying to get on the field. And Porter (likely, and with hopefully 75% less PI calls), Hardy, King, Dixon, Lytton, Wilson and a couple of developing players, Wheatley and Davis, at CB. Maybe either Lytton or Wheatley end up at Safety as well.
Lytton is my sleeper for next year.

He said he wanted to come back to beat OH No St Kkkrab People at home and make them melt and do the Ohhhhh Noooo kkkrabs people voice. The menace had been on a roll since 2016.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I'm not sure what's more surprising, J-Brown staying or B-Smith leaving? I hope that doesn't make me appear to be a neophyte in terms of my football acumen....

Fantastic news! Our secondary is stacked for next season. Obviously will need some folks to step up at LB and DL or get a big transfer or two.

Reactions: LMTLION
I'm not sure what's more surprising, J-Brown staying or B-Smith leaving? I hope that doesn't make me appear to be a neophyte in terms of my football acumen....
no it doesn't...i may be in the minority in that Brown should go...Brown is the better football player (tackling, nose for the ball, awareness etc..) but Smith is by far the better athlete and i think he (Smith) could have proved a lot in actually becoming a real football player if he returned...when u turn his film on i just don't see a 1-2 rd player at all, maybe a 3rd because of his upside but with a strong final year he could be a top 15 pick whereas Brown actually had a strong year but is limited physically and could get exposed without Brisker...basically i think Brown has maxed out his potential/production whereas Smith did not...but PSU should be happy Brown is coming back but don't expect him to be Brisker

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Agree…thought we was almost as good as Brisker last year…

Fantastic news! Our secondary is stacked for next season. Obviously will need some folks to step up at LB and DL or get a big transfer or two.
If Mustipher returns I don't believe DL is that great of a concern. the other DT's (especially Ellis and Izzard) got a good bit of additional experience and in game development that they would not have gotten if Mustipher had not gotten hurt. And the DT roster is pretty deep (Vanover, Brevard, Van Den Burg, Beamon, Darkwa), at least before any Portal exits.

And at DE, if Luketa returns, along with Isaac, there is plenty of depth, but not a lot of proven pass rushing. Tarburton, Vilbert, Fisher, and reports that Townley is developing along with McGraw and Mostella. Luketa would likely improve his pass rush with another year at DE, really his first full year focusing on DE. And I believe it's a safe bet that DDI makes an impact as a true freshman. Lots of players competing to play, which may lead to a player or two going out through the portal.

LB on the other hand, has limited options and we'll need Diaz to work some magic with Elsdon, King, Katshir (if he returns) and Buddin to compliment Jacobs. LB is where I see Franklin and Diaz going hard after a transfer, even if it's not a splash player but just a good LB that can compete and rotate in.

Last edited:
If Mustipher returns I don't believe DL is that great of a concern. the other DT's (especially Ellis and Izzard) got a good bit of additional experience and in game development that they would not have gotten if Mustipher had not gotten hurt. And the DT roster is pretty deep (Vanover, Brevard, Van Den Burg, Beamon, Darkwa), at least before any Portal exits.

And at DE, if Luketa returns there is plenty of depth, but not a lot of proven pass rushing. Tarburton, Vilbert, Fisher, and reports that Townley is developing along with McGraw and Mostella. Luketa would likely improve his pass rush with another year at DE, really his first full year focusing on DE. And I believe it's a safe bet that DDI make an impact as a true freshman.

LB on the other hand, has limited options and we'll need Diaz to work some magic with Elsdon, King, Katshir (if he returns) and Buddin to compliment Jacobs. LB is where I see Franklin and Diaz going hard after a transfer, even if it's not a splash player but just a good LB that can compete and rotate in.
hopefully Isaac can come back strong from injury, that would help the pass rush

no it doesn't...i may be in the minority in that Brown should go...Brown is the better football player (tackling, nose for the ball, awareness etc..) but Smith is by far the better athlete and i think he (Smith) could have proved a lot in actually becoming a real football player if he returned...when u turn his film on i just don't see a 1-2 rd player at all, maybe a 3rd because of his upside but with a strong final year he could be a top 15 pick whereas Brown actually had a strong year but is limited physically and could get exposed without Brisker...basically i think Brown has maxed out his potential/production whereas Smith did not...but PSU should be happy Brown is coming back but don't expect him to be Brisker
You make some good points. Smith could improve a lot.BUT the one thing about the pros is they rely on combines are believe that once you get there, they can fix everything.
If they were whispering in his ear they were encouraging him to come out Early.
From the time he was a kid people have been telling him he would be a NFL player.
I am sure he is itching to get there. He’s also is looking at Micah’s success.
I think we all great that Micah was a great athlete but had upside to improve his game.
He’s a poster child for a great athlete going in a rough diamond and letting the nfl Shine him up.

He came out super strong on Special Teams but get flagged twice for catch interference...at least one of which was bogus. Didn't see much of him after that (or maybe teams blocked/ doubled him?)
not sure how much he played after that. Here is hoping he can get back to the player he was supposed to be. We haven't lucked in to a player since probably McGloin.

Lucked in to player= Don't expect much and they turn out good.

not sure how much he played after that. Here is hoping he can get back to the player he was supposed to be. We haven't lucked in to a player since probably McGloin.

Ebiketie? Nobody knew what kind of a beast he'd turn out to be when he transferred to us

the intangibles of speed and instincts were evident. Add some discipline and that would be a great combo. TCF gave up some huge plays like the td vs Iowa to a freshman. Also had many ill timed penalties over the years. While every commentator called him an "outstanding cover guy" (esp Herbie) the lapses really hurt. Lytton may have it...but since he couldn't see the field much this year it makes you wonder. Fresh start w Manny may help...

Potential LB targets from the Portal.........

Navonteque Strong - LSU
Brandon Jennings - MD
Terrence Lewis - MD

Both of the MD transfers are from Florida and had PSU offers out of H.S. And both have multiple years of eligibility. Diaz likely is aware of both as well.

And an article from a week ago with Portal targets that would seem to fit into PSU's needs........

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT