ADVERTISEMENT

Jeffrey Field

PennStateNate

Feb 2, 2014
what is the story behind such a huge Soccer field. WSOC is on BTN now and there are like 20 people there.

was there a story behind having a stadium type seating setup?

You're only seeing one side of the field. The cameras are on the same side as where most of the fans sit, so you don't see them.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
i know there are 2 sides, but why is that needed?
Soccer attendance varies wildly. People show up for big games against ranked teams. They also tend to show up more earlier in the year when the weather is warmer. The stadium holds 5000, the attendance record for a women's team match is 5117.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I try to get to a couple of Soccer matches every year. The stadium averages somewhere around 2000 fans for every game. It is a great facility, there is a band of students often there drumming and chanting, it is a lot of fun.

We send players to the US national team....as well as the national teams of other countries.

That is big time stuff, and the aspiration is to continue along those lines.

Not hard to understand why we would pursue that, considering the popularity of youth soccer.

Somebody better informed than I will likely add an update on the plans for additional improvements to the facility. The AD made a passing reference to those plans recently....(I think it may be locker rooms and restrooms, but I may be behind the curve on that.)

We send players to the US national team....as well as the national teams of other countries.

Not hard to understand why we would pursue that, considering the popularity of youth soccer.

Somebody better informed than I will likely add an update on the plans for additional improvements to the facility. The AD made a passing reference to those plans recently....(I think it may be locker rooms and restrooms, but I may be behind the curve on that.)
Pretty accurate on all counts. It is the facility for both men's and women's teams--and badly in need of an update. Still better than when I was in school (still wooden bleachers). It's nice in that it is a pure soccer (well, some lacrosse) faciliity--no track as at tOSU's Jesse Owens Stadium, which gets you closer.

One should noted that the men's team can and does claim more MNC's in soccer than Pitt does in football. However, there have been none since the intro of the NCAA's official championships ca. 1960 or so. It was an amazingly successful program under Coach Jeffrey--who also was the US coach in their famous victory over England in 1950 (the US still has never lost to England in a World Cup).

They need a soccer building at the south end of Jeffrey with locker rooms, team meeting rooms, coaches offices, public bathrooms and concession stands. The MSOC and WSOC coaches offices and locker rooms have been at Rec Hall at the opposite end of campus. The surface at Jeffrey and the practice fields are among the very best in collegiate soccer.

In an article about six months ago MSOC coach Bob Warming described Jeffrey as the "ugliest corner on campus."

They need a soccer building at the south end of Jeffrey with locker rooms, team meeting rooms, coaches offices, public bathrooms and concession stands. The MSOC and WSOC coaches offices and locker rooms have been at Rec Hall at the opposite end of campus. The surface at Jeffrey and the practice fields are among the very best in collegiate soccer.

In an article about six months ago MSOC coach Bob Warming described Jeffrey as the "ugliest corner on campus."
I hereby nominate Cruising Route 66 to put his money where his mouth is and get his name on a new, large soccer building adjacent to Jeffrey Field.

Reactions: LHavenlion
I try to get to a couple of Soccer matches every year. The stadium averages somewhere around 2000 fans for every game. It is a great facility, there is a band of students often there drumming and chanting, it is a lot of fun.
Agreed tgar. Made it up to three women's matches this season. I like to sit above the student cheering section, Park Avenue Army.

The Park Avenue Army does add an interesting element to the games. I usually try to sit to their left (facing the field) over a section or two, so that their noise doesn't overwhelm the experience. I only made it to senior day, against Iowa, this year, to see the ladies play.

Jeffrey Field is a great place to watch soccer. You're so close to the play, and really can appreciate just how talented the ladies, or the men, are. it does need upgrades in terms of bathrooms and concessions, and supposedly for locker rooms also.

It's nice in that it is a pure soccer (well, some lacrosse) faciliity

I thought Jeffrey Field was 100% soccer, as all the lacrosse was played at the (relatively) new LAX field/stadium (it opened in 2012).

Just happen to catch Men's Soccer earlier today on BTN. Good game and had nice PR on Penn State soccer. Was thinking about the field as well, and some of the ideas for renovation. Soccer must finally on the rise, hell, I was even watching, and I'm not a soccer fan.

FWIW, Jeffrey Field has always had considerable seating on both sides. Historically most people sit on the Park Ave side because your back is to the wind and so, warmer. Plus, all of the concessions are on the Park Ave side.

On a side note, as the parent of a sports oriented daughter, we always combined football weekends with women's soccer and field hockey any time we could. My daughter has been going to women's collegiate lax games since she was 4. We always made a point to take her to women's sporting events (PSU, MD & US Women's Nat'l Soccer) so that she could have the opportunity to have her own sports role models.

You should see the Maryland women's games (soccer, field hockey and lacrosse), their packed, every game.

Collegiate women's sports is so great for little kids. We attend them all the time. If you live near a college go support them.

It's good for us Big kids as well. We go to WVB and women's soccer when we get the chance. At the " college level" women's soccer is a better game than the men's game. That changes further up the food chain but at college, I prefer the women's game.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2

A locker room is definitely needed. An architect friend of mine volunteered his company's time to design such facility. His son, class of '07or '08, played on the team. My friend claimed the coach at the time seemed disinterested in pursuing the offer with superiors.

Last edited:
The Park Avenue Army does add an interesting element to the games. I usually try to sit to their left (facing the field) over a section or two, so that their noise doesn't overwhelm the experience. I only made it to senior day, against Iowa, this year, to see the ladies play.

Jeffrey Field is a great place to watch soccer. You're so close to the play, and really can appreciate just how talented the ladies, or the men, are. it does need upgrades in terms of bathrooms and concessions, and supposedly for locker rooms also.

I thought Jeffrey Field was 100% soccer, as all the lacrosse was played at the (relatively) new LAX field/stadium (it opened in 2012).

Thought they might have moved--just wasn't sure when. I've not seen some of the newer facilities at PSU, as I generally catch the minor sports here in Columbus, and we are almost never at PSU during the lacrosse season.

Love Jeffrey Field, though. I discovered it while looking out on a Friday night from my dorm room (Snyder) in 1976, early in my PSU main campus days, seeing the lights and deciding to walk over to see what was going on. I was hooked.

Jeffrey has hosted at least one pro preseason game--Washington vs Las Vegas in 1978. I knew a couple of the players from the old Atoms: Tom Galati from Washington and Derek Trevis from Las Vegas.

what is the story behind such a huge Soccer field. WSOC is on BTN now and there are like 20 people there.

Not a big deal since you can use that type of facility for multiple sports. Soccer, football, lacross, field hockey, rugby all use about the same size field.

FWIW, Jeffrey Field has always had considerable seating on both sides. Historically most people sit on the Park Ave side because your back is to the wind and so, warmer. Plus, all of the concessions are on the Park Ave side.

Ummmm..... both stands lie perpendicular to Park Ave. I think you have Park Ave confused with University Drive.

Reactions: 71camaro

I believe those bleachers there were the same ones that were originally in the open end of Beaver Stadium before the enlargement in 1978. It used to be the youth section. Went to a few games with friends and rarely paid attention to game being played on field back then...

I'm pretty sure it's new(er) seating.

I do know at one point it *was* the old South Stands (when they replaced the wooden seating at Jeffrey Field and the Beave was expanded ca 1978 or so, those were used). You could see the old seat numbers. But it may well have been replaced again since then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT