ADVERTISEMENT

Jay's post about college admissions scandal

I forced my kid to watch it before he went off to college. His response? Eh. I'll tell ya...these kids today, they got no respect. No respect for the classics.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I forced my kid to watch it before he went off to college. His response? Eh. I'll tell ya...these kids today, they got no respect. No respect for the classics.
I used to have my son watch a classic 80’s movie with me almost every weekend in his last couple of years of high school. I told him he needed to appreciate classic movies. He liked most of them and his favorite movie of all time still is Caddyshack. My daughter’s favorite movie of all time is Sixteen Candles. So these kids today can learn.

Jay most likely not on scholarship. Children of PSU employees (at least at that time) received a 75% discount on tuition. So my guess is that he wasn’t on scholarship just like the other sons of coaches that have been on the team.
I think he had to be on scholarship because of the discount. Imagine the parents that would get hired into SEC schools if it was a way to get around the scholarship limits.

That's bullshit. He actually competed in the sport of diving, and landed the triple lindy for the win.

Some people cried foul and said he wasn't eligible, but he was clearly on the substitute roster that Coach Turnbull provided after the big meet.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Jay most likely not on scholarship. Children of PSU employees (at least at that time) received a 75% discount on tuition. So my guess is that he wasn’t on scholarship just like the other sons of coaches that have been on the team.
I think he had to be on scholarship because of the discount. Imagine the parents that would get hired into SEC schools if it was a way to get around the scholarship limits.

Actually if they were never recruited by PSU and their parents had been long time employees of the school then they wouldn’t have to be on scholarship.
Dick Anderson’s son was a recruit and his father worked at Rutgers when Jeff was recruited.
Both of Sandusky’s sons were walk-ons, but EJ was put on Scholarship his last year as he was a starter and in Grad School his last season, (dependents in grad school do not get the tuition discount), Jon was never a starter and never on Scholarship. No offense to Jay but I don’t think that he ever was above 3rd string and I’m pretty sure he was never on scholarship.

I can’t speak to the Ganter boys but I’m pretty sure it was similar.

Actually if they were never recruited by PSU and their parents had been long time employees of the school then they wouldn’t have to be on scholarship.
Dick Anderson’s son was a recruit and his father worked at Rutgers when Jeff was recruited.
Both of Sandusky’s sons were walk-ons, but EJ was put on Scholarship his last year as he was a starter and in Grad School his last season, Jon was never a starter and never on Scholarship. No offense to Jay but I don’t think that he ever was above 3rd string and I’m pretty sure he was never on scholarship.

Jay was never on scholarship. He was a walk on, and to the best of my recollection, he never saw any game time.

At least one of the Ganter kids was on scholarship for at least one year, I believe.

Both of Sandusky’s sons were walk-ons, but EJ was put on Scholarship his last year as he was a starter and in Grad School his last season, Jon was never a starter and never on Scholarship. No offense to Jay but I don’t think that he ever was above 3rd string and I’m pretty sure he was never on scholarship.

Jay was never on scholarship. He was a walk on, and to the best of my recollection, he never saw any game time.

At least one of the Ganter kids was on scholarship for at least one year, I believe.

I believe you are correct with regard to the Ganter’s. I edited my post regarding that employees’ dependent Don’t get the tuition discount if they are in Grad school.

Jay got into the last series in a game against Temple at The Vet, and handed the ball off a couple times. When he arrived in the huddle, he said something like, "Hi guys, it's really me!"

I used to have my son watch a classic 80’s movie with me almost every weekend in his last couple of years of high school. I told him he needed to appreciate classic movies. He liked most of them and his favorite movie of all time still is Caddyshack. My daughter’s favorite movie of all time is Sixteen Candles. So these kids today can learn.
He didn't really like Weird Science or Ferris Bueller, either! I'm starting to think maybe he's not mine :(

Do you think PSU hired Jay on merit?

Jay at PSU would be like Lori Loughlin being head of admissions @ USC and then giving her daughter a 6 figure job in the admissions dept after graduation.

Last edited:
Is this Jay's attempt at comedy/satire? He should stick to what he's actually good at.

.....ummmmmm....

...errrrrr.....

hmmm......

Reactions: Ski
Do you think PSU hired Jay on merit?

Jay at PSU would be like Lori Loughlin being head of admissions @ USC and then giving her daughter a 6 figure job in the admissions dept after graduation.

That's hard to answer, the easy and short answer that a lot of people on here will say is NO.
But in the coaching world it is a lot about who you know (yes I know its that way in a lot of industries, and professions) and who can go to bat for you to the HC to help you get a foot in the door.

Some of the best "teaching coaches" that you can find at any level of football is at the HS level. If you have ever been to an NFL practice and been close enough to listen to some of the coaches you may be surprised.

College coaching is a different animal altogether because of the recruiting aspect. You can't have a staff of great recruiters but below average x's and o's coaches and vice versa. You have to strike a balance, you need some great recruiters and some great X & O people. You will find that all great programs have found the right mix for their staff.

Now obviously no staff member can just suck at one area or the other. But there are the guys on staff that do excel in one area or the other. The Coordinators obviously have to be quality X & O people as well as the OL coach. You can't have an OL coach that doesn't know the Xs & Os nor is a good teacher of the skills and schemes.

So was Jay hired a little early in his career maybe. But the sons of Art Briles and ugh the VT head coach(can't remember his last name) his son they were hired for D-1 at an early age too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
That's hard to answer, the easy and short answer that a lot of people on here will say is NO.
But in the coaching world it is a lot about who you know (yes I know its that way in a lot of industries, and professions) and who can go to bat for you to the HC to help you get a foot in the door.

Some of the best "teaching coaches" that you can find at any level of football is at the HS level. If you have ever been to an NFL practice and been close enough to listen to some of the coaches you may be surprised.

College coaching is a different animal altogether because of the recruiting aspect. You can't have a staff of great recruiters but below average x's and o's coaches and vice versa. You have to strike a balance, you need some great recruiters and some great X & O people. You will find that all great programs have found the right mix for their staff.

Now obviously no staff member can just suck at one area or the other. But there are the guys on staff that do excel in one area or the other. The Coordinators obviously have to be quality X & O people as well as the OL coach. You can't have an OL coach that doesn't know the Xs & Os nor is a good teacher of the skills and schemes.

So was Jay hired a little early in his career maybe. But the sons of Art Briles and ugh the VT head coach(can't remember his last name) his son they were hired for D-1 at an early age too.

Which one was Jay?

Which one was Jay?

Well I wasn't on the staff (obviously) I have my personal opinions that he was more the recruiter with the hope of him developing more X & O expertise. My Opinion also is that both Bradley and Kenney were the same way as well. Which is why I felt the OL took a step back when Bill Coached the OL, plus I've always felt (against others opinion) that Bradley struggled as a DC until Vanderlinden was hired.

th

Disagree? Your Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT