ADVERTISEMENT

Jay has a message: "Parents: Let the Coaches Coach"

A good read.

I have to disagree with him. His assumption is that coaches are competent. Many are not. When Jay coached, the kid had almost zero options. Quit or stay, that was it. If you were at a school that had or hired an incompetent coach while you were there, you were screwed. This is why i LIKE the portal concept. If it were me, I'd try to make the portal get opened twice a year: after the bowls in January and after spring ball in May. That would, hopefully, eliminate 365 day a year recruiting and rash decisions made by teenagers while emotional. This adds accountability to the coaching staff.

Sadly, like it or not, college football is a business. A kid gets a 'ship worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and it is his potential ticket into million-dollar paydays. The kid and his parents must protect his options and opportunities. If they have an incompetent coach, that hurts their opportunity. So the first line of parents, if they feel a coach is incompetent would be "fire the coach of my son walks". That leads to a rational discussion of the path that is best for both the kid and the coaching staff depending upon how the HC feels about the kid and coach. Both have something to gain or lose.

I have to disagree with him. His assumption is that coaches are competent. Many are not. When Jay coached, the kid had almost zero options. Quit or stay, that was it. If you were at a school that had or hired an incompetent coach while you were there, you were screwed. This is why i LIKE the portal concept. If it were me, I'd try to make the portal get opened twice a year: after the bowls in January and after spring ball in May. That would, hopefully, eliminate 365 day a year recruiting and rash decisions made by teenagers while emotional. This adds accountability to the coaching staff.

Sadly, like it or not, college football is a business. A kid gets a 'ship worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and it is his potential ticket into million-dollar paydays. The kid and his parents must protect his options and opportunities. If they have an incompetent coach, that hurts their opportunity. So the first line of parents, if they feel a coach is incompetent would be "fire the coach of my son walks". That leads to a rational discussion of the path that is best for both the kid and the coaching staff depending upon how the HC feels about the kid and coach. Both have something to gain or lose.
99.99% of d1 coaches are competent. Parents and fans just have unrealistic expectations. They think coaches are magicians that can magically make a kid better. You don’t get to this level by not knowing what you are doing.

99.99% of d1 coaches are competent. Parents and fans just have unrealistic expectations. They think coaches are magicians that can magically make a kid better. You don’t get to this level by not knowing what you are doing.
I don't disagree but it is common for a kid to leave program A and go to B and be successful. It isn't always about a specific coach but how the slot a kid. For example, team moves from a 4 DL to a 3 or 5 DL. From a normal safety to a hybrid S/CB/LB. There can be other reasons. My brother, albeit in HS, was a very good LB and OG. Despite the idea that I was one of the fastest kids on the team, I played OG instead of where I was probably better served. The coaches just had a view of me that they couldn't shake. Same can be true if you hit campus as a 185 WR but end up being a 220 WR that might be better served as a S or Slot receiver. I can see a WR position coach and OC not wanting to lose the depth and move the guy to Defense and S.

When you have 95 athletes and 12 coaches you've got a lot of politics. And sometimes an OC won't give up a kid to D because he did that twice last year and didn't get recruiting slots for O. So he is going to make an example of not giving up this kid just to make a point.

My first notion is to agree it is rare but with the number of kids going into the portal, I don't think it is 99.9%. I think it is probably more like 90%. And when you say "competent" you mean they are good at coaching their team. But that doesn't mean that they are good at coaching this particular kid.

99.99? That is not even remotely true in any profession.

Didn't Jeff Hostetler transfer in 1980? Admittedly, kids had to sit out a year back then, but your claim that kids were screwed back then and had no options is simply not correct. Only an extremely small percentage of college football and basketball players ever play professionally. If a kid is unhappy and wants to leave that's his right, but I also don't agree with your premise that in most cases the portal "adds accountability to the coaching staff".

Didn't Jeff Hostetler transfer in 1980? Admittedly, kids had to sit out a year back then, but your claim that kids were screwed back then and had no options is simply not correct. Only an extremely small percentage of college football and basketball players ever play professionally. If a kid is unhappy and wants to leave that's his right, but I also don't agree with your premise that in most cases the portal "adds accountability to the coaching staff".
you don't think having to sit out a year is being screwed? You cite one example...and that of a kid transfer to WVa of all places?

The staff has to prove themselves every year. If the coach(s) sucks, if the school sucks, if there was a change of staff/strategy, if they are buried on the depth chart are all great reasons a kid should portal out or in. The coaches, then, have to prove themselves every day. The kids are no longer bound if the school no longer is in their best interest.

you don't think having to sit out a year is being screwed? You cite one example...and that of a kid transfer to WVa of all places?

The staff has to prove themselves every year. If the coach(s) sucks, if the school sucks, if there was a change of staff/strategy, if they are buried on the depth chart are all great reasons a kid should portal out or in. The coaches, then, have to prove themselves every day. The kids are no longer bound if the school no longer is in their best interest.
I can cite others. Are you saying that kids who portal out of Alabama are doing so because Saban sucks and hasn't proven himself to the kid leaving? Maybe if the kid who portals out did a little more "proving himself" everyday he wouldn't be buried on the depth chart. Like I said, the portal permits the kids to leave and not sit out so that's the rules and they have every right to do so. On the other hand, your posts seem to suggest that the majority of coaches suck or "haven't proven themselves" to the kids who plan to leave. I am sure there are some instances of that, but I think that is wrong as a general rule. I played sports in high school and I can assure you every kid who wasn't playing thought he was getting screwed by the coaches.

I can cite others. Are you saying that kids who portal out of Alabama are doing so because Saban sucks and hasn't proven himself to the kid leaving? Maybe if the kid who portals out did a little more "proving himself" everyday he wouldn't be buried on the depth chart. Like I said, the portal permits the kids to leave and not sit out so that's the rules and they have every right to do so. On the other hand, your posts seem to suggest that the majority of coaches suck or "haven't proven themselves" to the kids who plan to leave. I am sure there are some instances of that, but I think that is wrong as a general rule. I played sports in high school and I can assure you every kid who wasn't playing thought he was getting screwed by the coaches.
I never said that. Alabama, and Saban, have a style. They have a program and depth charts. What is good for one kid at AL may not be good for the next. Especially when you look at the complexity of the years 18~23. At the same time, AL has gone through 478 Offensive and defensive coordinators over the last ten years. You might LOVE saban but hate Kiffin. In the end, choice is a great thing to have.

I never said that. Alabama, and Saban, have a style. They have a program and depth charts. What is good for one kid at AL may not be good for the next. Especially when you look at the complexity of the years 18~23. At the same time, AL has gone through 478 Offensive and defensive coordinators over the last ten years. You might LOVE saban but hate Kiffin. In the end, choice is a great thing to have.
Yes it is and sometimes it’s an easy way out or a way to blame others for your failures. Kind of reminds me of the NBA player (can’t remember who he was) who said “If I ain’t starting’, I’m departin’ Everbody thinks they are first round draft choices.

Reactions: marshall23
A good coach must make decisions that are in the best interest of the program(team). Those decisions may not be in the best interest of an individual player. For example, a high school coach is obligated to putting the top 11 players on the field. An athlete may think he's a fullback, but the team needs him as a tight end. The portal, as it currently exists, diminishes or is a detriment to team sports. But it fits the current society we live in which is all about me. Prospects are not well served by recruiting services that publicize them like rock stars. 3 stars pick their top ten and they all think they are NFL bound. Where do the majority of these kids end up? I don't know....but I do know its not the NFL....and bouncing from school to school means they are also unlikely to earn a degree.

Yes it is and sometimes it’s an easy way out or a way to blame others for your failures. Kind of reminds me of the NBA player (can’t remember who he was) who said “If I ain’t starting’, I’m departin’ Everbody thinks they are first round draft choices.
well, then you "own it". It also isn't fair to be a nose guard when the team gets a DC who runs a four-man front. Regardless, let the kids have choices. Choice is always a good thing. As I've said, I'd like to see portal transfers be able to be made in certain windows; say January and May. Other than that, I am good with the fact that a program no longer can dictate to a kid (without penalty) what they can do.

ADVERTISEMENT