ADVERTISEMENT

Jay comments

bdgan

May 29, 2008
from a book signing that I hadn't heard before:
  • He said that 2011 was going to be Joe's last year even if the JS scandal wouldn't have happened. Joe didn't want to announce it because he wanted the focus to be on the team, not himself.
  • Jay said that a succession plan was being worked on and that Joe's only request was to keep some of the assistant coaches in place for continuity.
  • Somebody asked if Urban Meyer was on the list and he wouldn't answer. Jay said that he was never considered.
  • Jay said that during the post JS search for a new coach, the top early candidate said that he would only take the job if Joe would be allowed to introduce him as the new HC. The BOT said absolutely not so he withdrew his name from consideration.
  • Jay said that he's a huge OSU fan for two reasons. He said that he was afraid of the abuse he would take when the teams traveled to Columbus on November 19th. But on his way into the stadium many fans came up to him and said what the BOT did to Joe was wrong. He also said that Joe and Urban Meyer were good friends and that to this day Meyer has 3 photos of himself with Joe in his office.
  • I asked if the C&S plea deals and Spanier guilty verdict would have any bearing on the Paterno lawsuit. He said absolutely not and was quite confident that the charge against Spanier would be reversed on appeal. Other than that he said that he was not at liberty to discuss the case.
  • Jay asked for everybody's vote for the BOT. One thing he mentioned was that the OGBOT increased the size of the board to 36 so that the insiders wouldn't be out voted by the alumni elected members.
  • A number of former players don't kike the renovations to the Lasch Building. Too flashy, not in the Penn State tradition.
  • Jay talked about Joe's players being clean shaven with short hair. He said it was Joe's way of asking kids to sacrifice in order to be part of something bigger than themselves. He told a story where Joe discussed these rules with the team but that he gave Tamba Hali a special exemption since he wasn't told about them while being recruited. The next day Hali came to practice with a clean shaven head because he didn't think he should be treated differently.

Last edited:
  • He said that 2011 was going to be Joe's last year even if the JS scandal wouldn't have happened. Joe didn't want to announce it because he wanted the focus to be on the team, not himself.
  • Jay said that a succession plan was being worked on and that Joe's only request was to keep some of the assistant coaches in place for continuity.
  • Somebody asked if Urban Meyer was on the list and he wouldn't answer. Jay said that he was never considered.
  • Jay said that during the post JS search for a new coach, the top early candidate said that he would only take the job if Joe would be allowed to introduce him as the new HC. The BOT said absolutely not so he withdrew his name from consideration.
  • Jay said that he's a huge OSU fan for two reasons. He said that he was afraid of the abuse he would take when the teams traveled to Columbus on November 19th. But on his way into the stadium many fans came up to him and said what the BOT did to Joe was wrong. He also said that Joe and Urban Meyer were good friends and that to this day Meyer has 3 photos of himself with Joe in his office.
  • I asked if the C&S plea deals and Spanier guilty verdict would have any bearing on the Paterno lawsuit. He said absolutely not and was quite confident that the charge against Spanier would be reversed on appeal. Other than that he said that he was not at liberty to discuss the case.
  • Jay asked for everybody's vote for the BOT. One thing he mentioned was that the OGBOT increased the size of the board to 36 so that the insiders wouldn't be out voted by the alumni elected members.

Thanks bdgan! Was this from Burgundy Basin this past Fri? I regretfully couldn't make that.

• A number of former players don't kike the renovations to the Lasch Building. Too flashy, not in the Penn State tradition.
  • Jay talked about Joe's players being clean shaven with short hair. He said it was Joe's way of asking kids to sacrifice in order to be part of something bigger than themselves. He told a story where Joe discussed these rules with the team but that he gave Tamba Hali a special exemption since he wasn't told about them while being recruited. The next day Hali came to practice with a clean shaven head because he didn't think he should be treated differently.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Maybe someday someone will say something that makes you look good, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

He has nice hair...

2b956031cfcbe524c409e3d7b20effe3.jpg

Joe Paterno is great, and was great for PSU. JAY, it's obvious of his coaching abilities. ZERO . Move on Jay. U can't suck tit no more from home. Noone to bring u on or protect u. Heck Jay, how did u get to walk on, u never even started for your high school team. PATHETIC

Joe Paterno is great, and was great for PSU. JAY, it's obvious of his coaching abilities. ZERO . Move on Jay. U can't suck tit no more from home. Noone to bring u on or protect u. Heck Jay, how did u get to walk on, u never even started for your high school team. PATHETIC

Leo, nice to see you again! How've you been, you ****ing piece of shit?

Obviously, 2011 was going to be Joe's last year as he had terminal lung cancer and was in poor health throughout the season and spent most games in the booth. And yes, it was my understanding that Urban Meyer was going to be the new HC before the scandal hit.

Ho was the guy who was going to be the coach ?

That I don't know. I've heard they were close with Richt and with Gruden. I know that Munchak wasn't interested.

I know about the flirtation with Meyer, but that information was from the OSU side.

Reactions: BBrown
This is gold and should be pinned. We Are... Because He Was!

That's probably what the folks in Old Main and Lasch liked to believe, but those on the banks of the Olentangy knew better....and they had it in writing well before it was announced.
That's nice. It was Urbs. Whether he was playing PSU or not doesn't change things. Would he have backed out for OSU if the scandal didn't hit... we will never know, but it was him.

That's nice. It was Urbs. Whether he was playing PSU or not doesn't change things. Would he have backed out for OSU if the scandal didn't hit... we will never know, but it was him.
They are talking about somebody who was close after the scandal hit and the hang up was whether Joe would announce him. Probably that was not Urban who seemed to back off as soon as the scandal happened

They are talking about somebody who was close after the scandal hit and the hang up was whether Joe would announce him. Probably that was not Urban who seemed to back off as soon as the scandal happened
The rumor there was Mark Richt. But I think his wife had reservations from what has been said.

Oh, he was playing PSU all along. The folks at OSU knew of every discussion he had with PSU, encouraged him to do so because it served their purposes. The people "negotiating" with him were totally clueless about what was going on.

Meyer never backed out of anything with regard to PSU because there was never anything between him and PSU aside from one huge joke.

Urban was to be the coach. Had the scandal not happened it was a done deal. Richt was very interested up until the end.

Urban was to be the coach. Had the scandal not happened it was a done deal. Richt was very interested up until the end.

Done deal? There was nothing on paper between Meyer and PSU, but it was a done deal. Only in Old Main does that qualify as a "done deal."

Reactions: rojo36
Oh, he was playing PSU all along. The folks at OSU knew of every discussion he had with PSU, encouraged him to do so because it served their purposes. The people "negotiating" with him were totally clueless about what was going on.

Meyer never backed out of anything with regard to PSU because there was never anything between him and PSU aside from one huge joke.

Art, last time we had this discussion you admitted you didn't know the full story.

You still don't.

Faker.

ADVERTISEMENT