ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Worilds is Retiring...(OT)

PSUriseANDfire

Jun 3, 2012
Central PA
WTF. He was about to get his huge payday. I get saving yourself for the future it is smart and Willis did but Worilds was finally BECOMING great. That was a shocker. Willis also.

Maybe, as the emperor would say, he feels it's time to go off and do his life's work. Maybe there is a nagging injury that we're not aware of. Maybe he's tired and just can't do it anymore. Or maybe he (like many of us) is fed up with the clown show that the NFL has become under Roger Goodell. My mom was shopping at a store where he was doing a signing last year and stopped by to meet him...she was impressed by how humble a man he was that day. Who knows why he's choosing to not cash in...whatever the reason, I'd have to guess that for him it's the right decision.

Amazed that more guys don't retire early. Get in, make a few million, get your five years in to lock in a pension, and get out healthy. Playing football from pee wee all the way through five yrs as a pro has to take a heavy toll.

Originally posted by PSU Mike:
I hope he's healthy. I'd love to see more guys do it.
Absolutely. But he is so young.

This might become a trend. Good in general, bad for selfish reasons because I love great football.

He might be retiring because he made almost $10 million dollars last year and wants to enjoy that money without further damage to his brain and body. The physical and mental problems that NFL player have after retirement have been well-documented, and he may have considered that when choosing to retire.

He was an average OLB. No where near 'great'... and that payday?

wasn't going to happen... guess how many calls he received the day he became a free-agent....

ZERO

If true.....good for him.

If - after earning $15-20 million over a stretch of just a few years - you don't have sufficient financial resources to provide for your lifetime needs......you won't have sufficient financial resources after earning $30-40 million over ten years.

If a fellow has any grounding in reality, any sense of priority - what he has earned to date will provide plenty. Why subject the one and only mind and body you have to the debilitating effects of playing in the NFL any longer. You look at a guy like Polamalu - who seems to be a really great guy - but who played too long....and you shudder to think what life may be like for him in his 50's and 60's.

Good for Worilds I hope he has a full and satisfying life.....while he is still young and healthy enough to achieve something that he finds meaningful.

Re: He was an average OLB. No where near 'great'... and that payday?

Originally posted by lionroar88:
wasn't going to happen... guess how many calls he received the day he became a free-agent....

ZERO
I don't know if he received zero calls but I agree with you that he was no where near great and frankly he wasn't even an average OLB in the Steelers history.

...more than a few years ago an All-Pro player left the NFL early in his career...

...to pursue his dream in the world of music...

...anybody remember Mike Reid?...
wink.r191677.gif

...that turned out pretty well for him...

Maybe he figured "well I can still walk without a cane, and my brain is not tapioca, last year's Franchise Tag set me up pretty well, time to go"

Well, he's part of a cult. That explains much of it. He wasn't ever great, that's for sure, and his move will save his body-so good for him. However he is leaving to prepare for the apocalypse and 'save' as many people as he can in the process.

Originally posted by NewYC:
Well, he's part of a cult. That explains much of it. He wasn't ever great, that's for sure, and his move will save his body-so good for him. However he is leaving to prepare for the apocalypse and 'save' as many people as he can in the process.

Well I said BECOMING great. He had great talent. I think his initial bust label is painting him wrong for the last few years. He has been pretty damn good.

I didn't know about the apocalypse thing, maybe he didn't get out soon enough. Yikes.

Reid had bad knee issues that probably contributed to his leaving more than anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT