ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nolf Grappling

You got to give it to Cael and NLWC. The NLWC and Penn State have shown you can be successful in many ways - Freestyle/Olympic Style Wrestler, a College Coach, or even a world class UFC fighter. Or some combination of those. There is no other room in the country to set you up for that many different types of success.

I am excited to see this. Jason's inventiveness has a chance in grappling, as long as he knows how to defend.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Grappling sucks, or at least I don't get it.
I just don't understand it. A son of an old hs buddy of mine runs a gym close by into everything from mma, wrestling and grappling. Gavin Teasdale trains there. He and Gavin made world grappling tourney. Think Gavin won silver. Remember watching it but just couldn't get into it.

You got to give it to Cael and NLWC. The NLWC and Penn State have shown you can be successful in many ways - Freestyle/Olympic Style Wrestler, a College Coach, or even a world class UFC fighter. Or some combination of those. There is no other room in the country to set you up for that many different types of success.
Selfishly, I hope the answer is "some combo" -- because Jason is the next man up when Dake retires, and I'd like to see him win the world/Olympic medals he's worked so long for.

But more important is whatever he wants to do.

OK. Some please explain grappling, as compared to freestyle. Thanks in advance.
The simplest way I can explain it is that it’s like wrestling but with submissions and positional differences.

You score points by passing guard/taking the back/getting to mount etc

OK. Some please explain grappling, as compared to freestyle. Thanks in advance.
Jiu-Jitsu (there are various flavors).

Here's Bo "grappling" (modified ruleset to help Bo not break a leg, primarily) with one of the GOATs of grappling (there are not drug tests--I think Ryan is on record as being a steroid guy):

RBY also did a grappling match with MMA star Aljamain Sterling on one of the covid-era NLWC cards, after they wrestled a freestyle match.

Jiu-Jitsu (there are various flavors).

Here's Bo "grappling" (modified ruleset to help Bo not break a leg, primarily) with one of the GOATs of grappling (there are not drug tests--I think Ryan is on record as being a steroid guy):

RBY also did a grappling match with MMA star Aljamain Sterling on one of the covid-era NLWC cards, after they wrestled a freestyle match.
Thanks. I remember watching that and gotta say, it's not too high on my list.

Reactions: nerfstate
As a start, exposing your back seems to be a good thing.
Belly down on the mat with your opponent on your back is about the worst possible place to be in Jiu-Jitsu—you’re begging to be choked or submitted in that position—but you can defend yourself a lot better on your back, where you can see your opponent and put your limbs in position to defend.

Last edited:
Belly down on the mat with your opponent on your back is about the worst possible place to be in Jiu-Jitsu—you’re begging to be choked or submitted in that position—but you can defend yourself a lot better on your back, where you can see your opponent and put your limbs in position to defend.

I haven't watched much grappling, but the lay on your back and goad your opponent to engage you in that position is hard to understand. Seems like the standing guy should just wait for the other dude to get up and engage.

What's a stalemate in grappling? Both guys lay on their back some distance apart hoping the other will get up and come over and engage but neither does? 🤷‍♂️🤔😜

Sounds like a made up sport. When I was in high school they called us grapplers, because we grappled. When I looked up the definition, at least a few indicated grappling was linked to any contact combat sport like wrestling, judo, and BJJ. I'm not interested in watching.......even with Nolf or RBY in the match.

I agree some can be boring but go watch the Ruotolo brothers. Those kids are so fun to watch. They are competing everywhere it seems but are also in One right now and have some really exciting matches in that organization.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I haven't watched much grappling, but the lay on your back and goad your opponent to engage you in that position is hard to understand. Seems like the standing guy should just wait for the other dude to get up and engage.

What's a stalemate in grappling? Both guys lay on their back some distance apart hoping the other will get up and come over and engage but neither does? 🤷‍♂️🤔😜

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT