ADVERTISEMENT

January start

dicemen99

Nov 15, 2005
With the NJCAA just announcing their plan for a January start of their season to be concluded in April, I have to think that the NCAA will not be far behind. Football, and waiting to see how the coming two months play out, could have a big effect, but I've talked to a couple of D1 coaches and the opinion is that 90% of the people involved are pushing January start right now.

@smalls103 with an article pumped up about JR trials being in Sep/Oct but I think that is wildly optimistic given that UWW is saying championships tentatively before the end of the year. To me that's about saying January like the everyone else and I doubt the couple month head start selecting/training applies this year. Everything will be condensed.

Waterway Duals just canceled their 2020 event. May not be significant to some, but for me it signals we will not be having fall preseason events this year. Super32? How is that going to happen logistically unless we have reached a time were Covid is not considered a threat or, alternatively, safe practices are disregarded altogether. I know this may be happening with protests and rallies currently but putting together an event that hosts student athletes brings a whole different set of scrutiny and their hosts may be more adverse to risk.

What happens to the college "preseason" of tournaments. My guess is it mostly goes away. If high school wrestling doesn't start until January, what does that season look like? What happens to Ironman? Beast?

From my own perspective, ETR with a bit of an advantage being held in late January, but on Saturday we have 500 wrestlers and 2000 people jammed in the stands and balcony. Is our school district going to let that happen??? And if they don't, are they going to forgo the five figure facility bill they hand out to compensate for the lost gate? Tournaments can't lose money for the programs they are supporting - if they do, they just won't happen. Are our attending schools that travel from all over - like Ironman, Beast, etc. - going to allow that to happen this year? Travel that involves their student athletes staying overnight in hotels, some even fly, long bus trips with support personnel, etc.

My best guess is that for those of you that yearn for the return of the old days, this is your year. We are likely looking at condensed seasons with dramatically reduced competition numbers at all levels. Tournaments will be drastically affected, with many skipping the year altogether, and others operating much differently. Travel will be way down and maybe the Kiwanis Winter Classic in your local area will be the highlight of the regular season this year. At the NCAA level we may see a bunch of undefeated wrestlers headed into postseason with none having much more than 15 or so wins.

Last edited:
Red shirt Howard, RBY, Lee, Bartlett, Brooks (Kirk Oly RS?).

This year is going to be a cluster, and going in the chance of a national tourney taking place is at best 50%, regardless of what month.

Wait until kids here and there start testing positive, resulting in training partners or whole teams quarantined for 14 days, missed duals due to forfeits,...

No "effective" vaccine for at least another year if ever....

It would be interesting if PSU punts if Iowa follows suit, or pushes the chips all in. Too many teams closing in for 2022 OSU, tOSU, Cornell and Michigan. If Iowa doesn't get it this coming year I think they are on the outside looking in. PSU at full strength will probably beat them this year.

Last edited:
Red shirt Howard, RBY, Lee, Bartlett, Lee, Brooks (Kirk Oly RS?).

This year is going to be a cluster, and going in the chance of a national tourney taking place is at best 50%, regardless of what month.

Wait until kids here and there start testing positive, resulting in training partners or whole teams quarantined for 14 days, missed duals due to forfeits,...

No "effective" vaccine for at least another year if ever....

It would be interesting if PSU punts if Iowa follows suit, or pushes the chips all in. Too many teams closing in for 2022 OSU, tOSU, Cornell and Michigan. If Iowa doesn't get it this coming year I think they are on the outside looking in. PSU at full strength will probably beat them this year.
Would you still punt if Eierman is not starting for Iowa?

Because they just released their roster, and he's not on it. (No idea if this is smoke or fire.)

Bigger point being that there is still a lot of time before the season starts, and a lot can and will change.

Reactions: Dogwelder
With the NJCAA just announcing their plan for a January start of their season to be concluded in April, I have to think that the NCAA will not be far behind. Football, and waiting to see how the coming two months play out, could have a big effect, but I've talked to a couple of D1 coaches and the opinion is that 90% of the people involved are pushing January start right now.

@smalls103 with an article pumped up about JR trials being in Sep/Oct but I think that is wildly optimistic given that UWW is saying championships tentatively before the end of the year. To me that's about saying January like the everyone else and I doubt the couple month head start selecting/training applies this year. Everything will be condensed.

If UWW does have JR Worlds before the end of the year (like they said they are) i can't see the trials being staged much later than Oct. if it were later, and assuming the DI season is still Nov-March, you'd have a lot of college kids training FS for quite a while.

I ran an article this morning discussing a the questions that would arise with a 1 semester season bc of the NJCAA announcement. but as of this time i'm pretty confident the DI season is gonna be the same as usual.

Reactions: Split shot
Would you still punt if Eierman is not starting for Iowa?

Because they just released their roster, and he's not on it. (No idea if this is smoke or fire.)

Bigger point being that there is still a lot of time before the season starts, and a lot can and will change.

If I were PSU I would punt regardless. Less about our team being ready, zero based upon my thoughts re: Iowa. Mostly due to these unprecedented times. There is a significant threat to a full season and with it yet one more year of eligibility burnt for naught. If it happened two years in a row one would think the NCAA would be a little more gratuitous with counting it as a bonus red shirt year but you never know. Our team with those red shirts in March 2022, look out!

Last edited:
If I were PSU I would punt regardless. Less about our team being ready, zero based upon my thoughts re: Iowa. Mostly due to these unprecedented times. There is a significant threat to a full season and with it yet one more year of eligibility burnt for naught. If it happened two years in a row one would think the NCAA would be a little more gratuitous with counting it as a bonus red shirt year but you never know. Our team with those red shirts in 2012, look out!

2012 ?? Please send me some of whatever you are drinking ....:)

Reactions: Dogwelder
If UWW does have JR Worlds before the end of the year (like they said they are) i can't see the trials being staged much later than Oct. if it were later, and assuming the DI season is still Nov-March, you'd have a lot of college kids training FS for quite a while.

I ran an article this morning discussing a the questions that would arise with a 1 semester season bc of the NJCAA announcement. but as of this time i'm pretty confident the DI season is gonna be the same as usual.
Point taken, but I am not assuming that D1 is Nov-March. In fact at this point I would be assuming it is January to ?. Our coach - not PSU - has told us more than once that there is a large contingent (90%) in favor of this and pushing. I also heard this from a coach on the rules committee - although this was much earlier. Again, all this probably means nothing until the football season starts to play out and we see what transpires.

My other point is that the "normal" ramp training to competition will not apply this year IMO. I think they will wait as long as possible to do anything formal.

And as you point out, UWW is saying they "tentatively" plan on having Worlds before the end of the year. Tentative is the operative word in today's climate.

Love the optimism. And maybe - hopefully - you will be right.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT