ADVERTISEMENT

James Webb Space Telescope updated Jan 13, 2024….😱 Video of discoveries far and near!🧨

An exo planet, two nebula, (or is that nebuli ?), Stephan’s Quartet.....a group of four galaxies, and gravitational lensing. Doesn’t say how much of the actual science will be released or any analysis of. Gonna be fun, fer sure!

Last edited:
First image! Released today by the White House.

NASA says this pic shows thousands of galaxies never seen before. The area of the image is the area of the sky if you took a grain of sand and held it at arms length. That’s a tiny dot of sky!

A little help here from the experts.....please. The image has several galaxies that are blurred and even look,Ed stretched. Could these be examples gravitational leasing? If it were motion of the JWST all the galaxies would be blurred.

From the link in above article. Says the massive galaxy acted as a gravitational lens to magnifying the more distant galaxies behind it. Great stuff!

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has produced the deepest and sharpest infrared image of the distant universe to date. Known as Webb’s First Deep Field, this image of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 is overflowing with detail.

Thousands of galaxies – including the faintest objects ever observed in the infrared – have appeared in Webb’s view for the first time. This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground.

This deep field, taken by Webb’s Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam), is a composite made from images at different wavelengths, totaling 12.5 hours – achieving depths at infrared wavelengths beyond the Hubble Space Telescope’s deepest fields, which took weeks.

The image shows the galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 as it appeared 4.6 billion years ago. The combined mass of this galaxy cluster acts as a gravitational lens, magnifying much more distant galaxies behind it. Webb’s NIRCam has brought those distant galaxies into sharp focus – they have tiny, faint structures that have never been seen before, including star clusters and diffuse features. Researchers
will soon begin to learn more about the galaxies’ masses, ages, histories, and compositions, as Webb seeks the earliest galaxies in the universe.

It was announced that more photos and research will be released this week. Incuding pictures of Jupiter on Thursday, which could be interesting. They are also starting the process of planning next year’s subjects and are asking for submissions. So if any of you have some good questions.......

Editorial comment: Hard to believe I started this thread over a year ago and we finally are seeing the results. Doesn’t compare to the wait and anticipation of the thousands of people that spent over twenty years working on this project. To them a hardy Hi Ho and much gratitude. Will tip an adult beverage to all of them.

Amazingly, I started the thread on July 11, 2021 and exactly a year later the White House released the first photo. I will cease posting for a while, perhaps permanently, as I don’t want to push this on the board if there is limited interest. Thanks to all for following and commenting. Been fun and educational.

Last edited:
It was announced that more photos and research will be released this week. Incuding pictures of Jupiter on Thursday, which could be interesting. They are also starting the process of planning next year’s subjects and are asking for submissions. So if any of you have some good questions.......

Editorial comment: Hard to believe I started this thread over a year ago and we finally are seeing the results. Doesn’t compare to the wait and anticipation of the thousands of people that spent over twenty years working on this project. To them a hardy Hi Ho and much gratitude. Will tip an adult beverage to all of them.

Amazingly, I started the thread on July 11, 2021 and exactly a year later the White House released the first photo. I will cease posting for a while, perhaps permanently, as I don’t want to push this one the board if there is limited interest. Thanks to all for following and commenting. Been fun and educational.

No, don't stop posting. I may not contribute a lot to this thread, but this thread is how I, and I suspect many others, follow the project. I always open your links and than open many others on the same subject that are always pinned to the primary link.

TIA for keeping this one going.

what is crazy to me is if you look at how much this telescope cost (I think $20 billion) and then how much waste was spent on Covid and graft, etc...and look at how this $20 Billion is going to advance science and the understanding of the universe. It makes me sad as we could do so much more. If somehow we took all the money going to military expenditures and wasteful government graft programs, etc...and spent that on development of new technology in the energy sector, and science sector, and engineering sector, and material of construction sector, etc...we probably solve most of the worlds problems that all the money that is being spent on wasteful stuff is being used for.

First image! Released today by the White House.

NASA says this pic shows thousands of galaxies never seen before. The area of the image is the area of the sky if you took a grain of sand and held it at arms length. That’s a tiny dot of sky!

A little help here from the experts.....please. The image has several galaxies that are blurred and even look,Ed stretched. Could these be examples gravitational leasing? If it were motion of the JWST all the galaxies would be blurred.

Have you seen the PBS documentary on Webb? You’ll love it!!!

Have you seen the PBS documentary on Webb? You’ll love it!!!

Watched the PBS documentary on YouTube yesterday. Just seeing 1 picture that showed other galaxies and billions of stars had me marveling and thinking " How big my God is and how small I am"!
Saw that PBS program. Very good.

And that pic with thousands of galaxies......saw one report that is was a twelve hour exposure.....another interview stated it was less than one hour. The old Hubble pic was a two week exposure. One can only imagine the results if the JWST took a two week exposure. ...

Edit. @creamery freak They released two photos of Jupiter that some thought were very good. I didn’t see a lot of detail. But the important aspects were that they were taken during the test period to demonstrate the JWST could track fast moving, nearby objects in the solar system which it did very well....indicating some good science to come. Also, the shots were taken at two different wavelengths demonstrating more potential science.

Last edited:
NASA released some updated analysis of the micrometeoroid that struck the main mirror at the end of May. They always knew that some micrometeoroids would hit it over time and eventually degrade the telescope. But this one was larger than they had predicted and hit sooner than expected. So now they are studying the damage and concocting plans to reduce the chance of future hits.

Segment C3 was significantly damaged but they were able to make adjustments so that very little capacity was lost. Article below goes into details about damage and contingencies. What is of particular concern is that the scope will pass through the remnants of a comet tail in 2023.

What is scary is that just one of proper size and location could render the JWST useless.

Stunning new photos from Webb of a ‘wheel’ galaxy. Said to be the result of two galaxies colliding. In addition, Webb has photographed a galaxy with an rxtimated red shift of 20 a dramatic development. The galaxy is believed to be from just 200 million years after the Big Bang....easily the earliest object ever Awaiting confirmation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agoodnap
I work in facilities at Johns Hopkins University which is where the Missions Operations Control Center is located for the James Webb Telescope and the launch date is currently scheduled for December 18th.
Hey, how’s about an update. What are the reactions? What can we expect next? Any news you can share?

1659697288207-chorizo-james-webb-space-telescope.jpeg

Proxima Centauri ... or not

• Haha
Reactions: scbob
1659697288207-chorizo-james-webb-space-telescope.jpeg

Proxima Centauri ... or not
Saw that story. Guy is gonna take some serious heat for that stunt.

Here is a good article about the how and why they colorize the pictures. Interesting stuff with a very good graph showing wavelengths and how they compare to real life objects.

Reactions: Woodpecker
The Web was launched on Christmas Day of 2022. So it’s been just over a year since launch. It has produced some amazing photos and many serious scientific results. Here is a look back at its first year in space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenophile
This is what I was waiting for. Results that shocked the experts and are forcing them to rewrite their theories. Love it when we are humbled.

The JWST has found numerous huge galaxies formed shortly after the Big Bang…..where no one thought they would be. So it’s back to the chalk board…..

Reactions: Ski
This is what I was waiting for. Results that shocked the experts and are forcing them to rewrite their theories. Love it when we are humbled.

The JWST has found numerous huge galaxies formed shortly after the Big Bang…..where no one thought they would be. So it’s back to the chalk board…..

and notice where the scientists are employed....

We expected only to find tiny, young, baby galaxies at this point in time, but we’ve discovered galaxies as mature as our own in what was previously understood to be the dawn of the universe,” explains Joel Leja, an assistant professor of astronomy and astrophysics at Penn State, in a university release.

and notice where the scientists are employed....

We expected only to find tiny, young, baby galaxies at this point in time, but we’ve discovered galaxies as mature as our own in what was previously understood to be the dawn of the universe,” explains Joel Leja, an assistant professor of astronomy and astrophysics at Penn State, in a university release.
Yeah, in my excitement I forgot to add that it was Penn State researchers that wrote the paper.

Thanks

Reactions: royboy
a realitively nearby star is about to go super nova. Pic caught in a rare state…

A new look at at star formation with interstellar dust showing intriguing structure….

Massive cloud of extremely cold ice……but made of far more than frozen water….

Reactions: Steve G
Been a while….lots of new science….

This one picture has over 45,000 galaxies in it. Galaxies, not stars!

A very early quasar with mass of 1.4 billion times the sun.

And for people hoping find life…..a key carbon molecule confirmed.

Last edited:
Here is a star a mere 15,000 light years away about to go super nova…

• Love
Reactions: tlbakernc
Last one for today….

• Love
Reactions: tlbakernc
Reactions: Woodpecker

It has always struck me as too orderly of an explanation. If everything is moving away from itself, then where's the center, i.e., it's origin point? I have never seen an explanation that points to anything, let alone a direction. I have a few other thoughts on the topic but it could take a long time to go through them.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It has always struck me as too orderly of an explanation. If everything is moving away from itself, then where's the center, i.e., it's origin point? I have never seen an explanation that points to anything, let alone a direction. I have a few other thoughts on the topic but it could take a long time to go through them.
A fixed point of reference is hard to come by.

Here is a good article by Vox explaining how what the JWST has discovered doesn’t fit our current understanding of the universe and will cause major changes, if these findings are verified.

And written so that even novices like me understand it….. or most of it!

The Webb scope will be 100 times stronger than the Hubble. Think how amazing the Hubble is and then try to imagine what the Webb will discover.

The launch date is flexible and can be launched on any day unlike many launches with narrow windows. Then after launch it will take a month to be positioned 1.2 million miles from earth to the second Lagrange point where it will be in a stationary position. Then it it will be several more months before it is fully activated. So next spring we will be re-writing all of our science books!

I love the cosmos. The Webb allow all of mankind to witness the vastness of the universe and just how very small we all are. A trillion or more galaxies with hundreds of billions of all type of stars in each. Certainly makes me a believer in intelligent design a & Supreme Being.

ADVERTISEMENT