ADVERTISEMENT

Football James Franklin ranked top 10 coach in college football

Yep great coach, losing season the year before last. 0.500 over the past two. OL that seems to be getting worse every season no matter who they bring in to coach it. Running game worse than the sanction years even with 4* RB littering the roster. For being a "top 10" coach and recruiting being his supposed strong point, we fail to consistently bring in a top 10 recruiting class. BTW, I believe a few year back CJF was in the top 5. A couple more years of this shit he will be "top 20"

Based on what criteria? If based on recruiting, he might be top 10....but as a coach where winning is the goal, he is far from top 10. Top 50 at best.....consistently gets outcoached in games and the team underperforms given their recruiting classes year in and year out.

Very grateful we signed CJF to an extension.

So are Ohio State and Michigan fans :)

These lists mean nothing, but I do suspect that another 5+ loss season will ensure he's not on any top-10 lists for a while. He still has a strong overall resume and certainly has top-10 potential. But the past two seasons should be a serious red flag for anybody putting him in the ranks of the elite.

The comments in this thread are hilarious. Some people are very easily triggered in addition to being misguided.

Very grateful we signed CJF to an extension.

WE ARE!!!
Great guy but terrible game day coach. If you ran a business for profit, you would not have kept James as your CEO. That’s a fact or you would be out of business. PennState brand is the only reason James still has this job.

So are Ohio State and Michigan fans :)

These lists mean nothing, but I do suspect that another 5+ loss season will ensure he's not on any top-10 lists for a while. He still has a strong overall resume and certainly has top-10 potential. But the past two seasons should be a serious red flag for anybody putting him in the ranks of the elite.
Sandy can't red flags when she is negotiating.

Franklin is likely a victim of his early success which created very high expectations. The arguments against him usually include his difficulties when sanctions were in place as well as the 2020 covid year. 2016-2019 are the reason he's a top ten coach. Only a handful of coaches had more success during that time period. This past year was certainly tough but with no run game we were somehow in games vs OSU, Iowa, Michigan and Michigan St.. so with such a deficiency, you could argue it was great coaching to even give us a chance to win those games. For me the measuring stick is OSU. Franklin has definitely closed the gap with them. We had so many games where we had zero chance to win and didn't belong on the same field with them prior to the Franklin era. We haven't caught them but we're the most serious threat to them, regardless of Michigan's fluke season. There's a handful of situations each season that I won't agree with the handling, but saying he's a poor game day coach is just hyperbole. We did come back to beat Wisconsin on the road. We did close the deal vs Auburn. We've had great second halves over the years to come back. That has to count for good "game day coaching". We'll be in the mix in the Big Ten this year and most years. We'll likely be in a New Year's Six bowl again this year. We're a top ten to 15 program. Franklin's the leader of that. Taking the next step is all that's missing from Franklin's resume. It's likely only a matter of time. We're set up to be very good for a long time.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Franklin is likely a victim of his early success which created very high expectations. The arguments against him usually include his difficulties when sanctions were in place as well as the 2020 covid year. 2016-2019 are the reason he's a top ten coach. Only a handful of coaches had more success during that time period. This past year was certainly tough but with no run game we were somehow in games vs OSU, Iowa, Michigan and Michigan St.. so with such a deficiency, you could argue it was great coaching to even give us a chance to win those games. For me the measuring stick is OSU. Franklin has definitely closed the gap with them. We had so many games where we had zero chance to win and didn't belong on the same field with them prior to the Franklin era. We haven't caught them but we're the most serious threat to them, regardless of Michigan's fluke season. There's a handful of situations each season that I won't agree with the handling, but saying he's a poor game day coach is just hyperbole. We did come back to beat Wisconsin on the road. We did close the deal vs Auburn. We've had great second halves over the years to come back. That has to count for good "game day coaching". We'll be in the mix in the Big Ten this year and most years. We'll likely be in a New Year's Six bowl again this year. We're a top ten to 15 program. Franklin's the leader of that. Taking the next step is all that's missing from Franklin's resume. It's likely only a matter of time. We're set up to be very good for a long time.
11-11 says different. He's on the hot seat anywhere other than here.

Reactions: MacNit07
Every team played on the same field with the same ball during covid.
But not all teams had the same amount or type of practice for the season. From reports the in person full team practice was very heavily restricted up until the start of the season at PSU - while at OSU for example they were given the green light to do pretty much normal pre-season prep by their leaders. PSU was also one of two teams in the B1G to be able to play all games that season so the severe covid restrictions obviously kept the team healthy, but sacrificed the performance on the field.

So while yes each team played on the same field etc., not all were equal in terms of preparation for those games.

Reactions: psugisher
the 2016-19 period was as good as we've been since the early 1990s.

I don't really understand what happened in 2020 and 2021.

It's kind of bizarre to drop that quickly, although we have seen it before (1999 -> 2000)
Weak sc
But not all teams had the same amount or type of practice for the season. From reports the in person full team practice was very heavily restricted up until the start of the season at PSU - while at OSU for example they were given the green light to do pretty much normal pre-season prep by their leaders. PSU was also one of two teams in the B1G to be able to play all games that season so the severe covid restrictions obviously kept the team healthy, but sacrificed the performance on the field.

So while yes each team played on the same field etc., not all were equal in terms of preparation for those games.
The Illinois disaster is unforgivable. Everything from preparation, effort, play calling, to execution was unacceptable. James will forever be overrated.

Weak sc

The Illinois disaster is unforgivable. Everything from preparation, effort, play calling, to execution was unacceptable. James will forever be overrated.
Don’t disagree with that the Illinois sentiment. But the comment I was responding to was putting forth that all teams were on equal footing in 2020 - which was not the reality.

You’re referring to a game in 2021.

hell we were picking Iowa apart before Clifford got hurt

We are not a top 10 15 program.We are an unranked. 11-11 program. Franklin needs to go.
To make matters worse 2-3 of the losses were against teams with more talent. How many of those wins were against teams with more talent. By my count (0). During the 11 win seasons one team had more talent (OSU). Franklin feeds on weaker teams and almost never beats a team with more talent. That’s all coaching and preparation.

To make matters worse 2-3 of the losses were against teams with more talent. How many of those wins were against teams with more talent. By my count (0). During the 11 win seasons one team had more talent (OSU). Franklin feeds on weaker teams and almost never beats a team with more talent. That’s all coaching and preparation.
About the same number of wins Ryan Day has had against teams with more talent….and Nick Saban for that matter.

About the same number of wins Ryan Day has had against teams with more talent….and Nick Saban for that matter.
got love when people defend anyone by mentioning other people. Just goes to show, you have no defense. Franklin is definitely below both the above mentioned names.

Reactions: Psugo823
ADVERTISEMENT