ADVERTISEMENT

Football James Franklin provides insight into left Tackle Olu Fashanu's possible return

Penn State head coach James Franklin provided some possible insight into left tackle Olu Fashanu and his potential return from injury this season on Wednesday night.

It is getting a bit ridiculous that our best players get like 1 year at best performing. It feels like it's been going on it seems since LJ Sr sold Deion Barnes out. 1 full year of Micah. Now Olu with a half a season of starts.

It sure feels like someone is getting to these kids and selling an unrealistic draft outlook. And yes, I've seen some Olu mock draft 1st round projections. Does that really hold up if he plays all of like 6 or 7 games for his entire sample size? But I will tell you this, it seems like we have an awful lot of kids leave early that go undrafted to very late rounds. And it doesn't seem to happen at Ohio St or Michigan where guys with 1st round grades sometimes come back. Who is selling these kids?

Reactions: scrivener
Once these kids get the word they are high on NFL draft boards they no longer concern themselves with Penn State. Stay out. Don't do anything to jeopardize your draft status like getting hurt or having your weaknesses exposed. Honestly I'm beginning to think it is Franklin's secret sauce for top 10-15 recruiting classes every year but you can't have it both ways so when the best players bolt after an 8-12 game run at PSU the on field product suffers. I know you need to be careful what you wish for but sometimes I wonder if we would be better off with a team of hard-working fully team dedicated 3 stars who want to wear the blue & white and punch above their weight class. As much as I didn't really care for him Mark D'Antonio at Michigan State enjoyed more success than we have against Michigan and Ohio State with that type of roster. We've seen the last of Fashanu in a PSU uniform.

Once these kids get the word they are high on NFL draft boards they no longer concern themselves with Penn State. Stay out. Don't do anything to jeopardize your draft status like getting hurt or having your weaknesses exposed. Honestly I'm beginning to think it is Franklin's secret sauce for top 10-15 recruiting classes every year but you can't have it both ways so when the best players bolt after an 8-12 game run at PSU the on field product suffers. I know you need to be careful what you wish for but sometimes I wonder if we would be better off with a team of hard-working fully team dedicated 3 stars who want to wear the blue & white and punch above their weight class. As much as I didn't really care for him Mark D'Antonio at Michigan State enjoyed more success than we have against Michigan and Ohio State with that type of roster. We've seen the last of Fashanu in a PSU uniform.
I think its a hard sell to keep players here long term out of "loyalty" to dear Old State, when the "loyal" fanbase abuses Sean Clifford. These kids aren't deaf, dumb and blind. Stick around for what?

I think its a hard sell to keep players here long term out of "loyalty" to dear Old State, when the "loyal" fanbase abuses Sean Clifford. These kids aren't deaf, dumb and blind. Stick around for what?
That isn't the concern. The concern is that many have been talked out of staying when it would benefit them to do so having been sold something that wasn't true. Deion Barnes was poorly advised by LJ Sr, an opposing coach. Micah was sold on there being no covid year. There are countless others in the category of sold on a draft grade that was far too rosy.

I'm on record with Olu saying he should jump on a top 15 grade if it truly holds up. I'm also on record doubting that playing only half a dozen college games being a large enough sample size for most NFL draft boards to justify that early of a pick. I think he needs to either get back on the field pronto or really question if that top half of 1st round grade is going to hold up. If it doesn't hold up then he's best served returning and getting that grade solidified.

My bigger concern is with guys like Jacobs who could be late round or undrafted but talked into leaving. Or even Washington who would likely be a 1200+ yard #1 WR next year but likely a lower draft pick this year if he goes.

I get the feeling that Franklin is a 'players' coach' to the extent, at least in public, he doesn't push back on a player or family with anything negative or even constructive. At the same time, to another poster's point, I believe other schools set the expectations of what will be expected from the player higher and the school lower-this is easier when you've achieved a more than healthy yearly influx of high-end talent as is the case with OSU's wide receiver corp. As football is one of finding the opponents weakness and adjusting to take advantage of them, when players are drafted more on potential, it becomes even more of a coin toss. Add to that that the jump to the NFL is a major one, even for those that performed at the highest level in college. Personally, I don't think either choice is a clear bad one for Olu...if he jumps too soon, he may have a shorter NFL career-seems he has the brains to fall back on something else. if he returns, he may risk injury (or exposure as injury prone), but it seems he is on the NFL's radar...and even a second or third rounder makes pretty good money.

Forget the BS about -- if he gets hurt. Supposedly Olu and many like him came to PSU to get an education and to graduate, even if it is "Communication" degree. Any degree + plus PSU FB experience will open a lot of doors for Olu or any other player. Get your degree, then let the chips fall where they may.

It is ridiculous from a fan perspective to have the best players play 1 season and gone.

But from the perspective of a young person, if during your sophomore year of college you were so good at something that you got offered a $10 million contract to leave school and do it, would you stay in school?

This is just college football these days. The player volatility in college programs like Penn State's is going to be even greater -- much greater -- than the average NFL roster.

You can have more continuity on a team like Iowa or Wisconsin that recruits at a lower level than Penn State. But does anybody here want that? Penn State is going to be more like Ohio State and Michigan, with more talent and also more volatility.

The thing people should take from this is that coach Trautwein appears to be building up a really good offensive line program at Penn State. He's spotting talent, he's attracting talent, he's getting players trained up and ready to play. It takes several years to get it going but this year is a real step forward and as long as Trautwein stays around Penn State is going to have better-than-average OL. Which is a lot better than they've had for nearly all of Franklin's time.

It is getting a bit ridiculous that our best players get like 1 year at best performing. It feels like it's been going on it seems since LJ Sr sold Deion Barnes out. 1 full year of Micah. Now Olu with a half a season of starts.

It sure feels like someone is getting to these kids and selling an unrealistic draft outlook. And yes, I've seen some Olu mock draft 1st round projections. Does that really hold up if he plays all of like 6 or 7 games for his entire sample size? But I will tell you this, it seems like we have an awful lot of kids leave early that go undrafted to very late rounds. And it doesn't seem to happen at Ohio St or Michigan where guys with 1st round grades sometimes come back. Who is selling these kids?

I get the feeling that Franklin is a 'players' coach' to the extent, at least in public, he doesn't push back on a player or family with anything negative or even constructive. At the same time, to another poster's point, I believe other schools set the expectations of what will be expected from the player higher and the school lower-this is easier when you've achieved a more than healthy yearly influx of high-end talent as is the case with OSU's wide receiver corp. As football is one of finding the opponents weakness and adjusting to take advantage of them, when players are drafted more on potential, it becomes even more of a coin toss. Add to that that the jump to the NFL is a major one, even for those that performed at the highest level in college. Personally, I don't think either choice is a clear bad one for Olu...if he jumps too soon, he may have a shorter NFL career-seems he has the brains to fall back on something else. if he returns, he may risk injury (or exposure as injury prone), but it seems he is on the NFL's radar...and even a second or third rounder makes pretty good money.
Agree and I don't think he has a choice in the matter. The role of the university is to prepare kids for their post college life. If this kid is going to get a $5m guaranteed contract, it is hard to suggest he stay in school. If you stand in the kid's way, that gets out and will hurt recruiting. You just have to give the kids your best opinion and go on from there.

Also, note, we ask coaches to tell kids that they aren't going to be players. We've seen kids leave, recently at RB, who got buried on the depth chart. You have to be honest and do the best you can either way.

Reactions: marshall23
That isn't the concern. The concern is that many have been talked out of staying when it would benefit them to do so having been sold something that wasn't true. Deion Barnes was poorly advised by LJ Sr, an opposing coach. Micah was sold on there being no covid year. There are countless others in the category of sold on a draft grade that was far too rosy.

I'm on record with Olu saying he should jump on a top 15 grade if it truly holds up. I'm also on record doubting that playing only half a dozen college games being a large enough sample size for most NFL draft boards to justify that early of a pick. I think he needs to either get back on the field pronto or really question if that top half of 1st round grade is going to hold up. If it doesn't hold up then he's best served returning and getting that grade solidified.

My bigger concern is with guys like Jacobs who could be late round or undrafted but talked into leaving. Or even Washington who would likely be a 1200+ yard #1 WR next year but likely a lower draft pick this year if he goes.
Jacobs made a few splash plays, like the int return against Michigan, but his impact on defense has been inconsistent. Some of that might have been due to being the new leader with the LBs-trying too hard, and maybe some teams were avoiding his area. I'd like to see his performance next year with Carter as a starting sophomore, and hopefully continued improvement with the middle linebacker play.

I think his and Washington's draft grade would very possibly be higher after next season. Washington could have someone more accurate in the middle and deep balls, and hopefully the running game continues to improve and one of the speedier underclassmen gets on the field to spread the defense out even more and give him more passes his way.

Reactions: Online Persona

What ever the opinion....3rd round or higher projections will likely leave.

What ever the opinion....3rd round or higher projections will likely leave.
Often but if you are 19 with only half a dozen games played, you either earn 1st round money or you stay a year and earn high 1st round money. I'm sure he knows he's only scratched his potential and the difference between top 10 money and 3rd round money.

NIL can mitigate some 3rd round money and a hefty insurance policy.

Jacobs made a few splash plays, like the int return against Michigan, but his impact on defense has been inconsistent. Some of that might have been due to being the new leader with the LBs-trying too hard, and maybe some teams were avoiding his area. I'd like to see his performance next year with Carter as a starting sophomore, and hopefully continued improvement with the middle linebacker play.

I think his and Washington's draft grade would very possibly be higher after next season. Washington could have someone more accurate in the middle and deep balls, and hopefully the running game continues to improve and one of the speedier underclassmen gets on the field to spread the defense out even more and give him more passes his way.
I'd love every contributing player to stay. That won't make it so. Football isn't checkers. If a player has NFL ability and aspirations they will always tend to take the "bird in hand." Baseball is a different story, where players may enter college and gamble on a better draft position down the line.
You get more flies with honey than vinegar. If you are a kid and you have one person telling you that your future and $$$ are now.....and another tells you to stay and work another year....which door would you take at 20 years old.
Players don't think like middle aged fans.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
Often but if you are 19 with only half a dozen games played, you either earn 1st round money or you stay a year and earn high 1st round money. I'm sure he knows he's only scratched his potential and the difference between top 10 money and 3rd round money.

NIL is a resource. All resources are limited.

Agree and I don't think he has a choice in the matter. The role of the university is to prepare kids for their post college life. If this kid is going to get a $5m guaranteed contract, it is hard to suggest he stay in school. If you stand in the kid's way, that gets out and will hurt recruiting. You just have to give the kids your best opinion and go on from there.

Also, note, we ask coaches to tell kids that they aren't going to be players. We've seen kids leave, recently at RB, who got buried on the depth chart. You have to be honest and do the best you can either way.
The honesty cuts both ways, good-favorably for the player, even counter to the interests of the university, and bad-unfavorable or uncertain, Not that I have any inside information, but Joe seemed (at least in his public comments) to push things towards after the season, and leverage his NFL contacts. Now that agents have open access and players are analyzed, ranked, and projected beginning in middle school, it's much harder or nearly impossible to delay or even influence a player and his family's thoughts and hopes.

Per the Trautwein comment, Olu's play, and especially that of the true freshman guard and tackle is encouraging. I'm hoping something similar will happen with DT-we seem to be shallow in that area, and to a related but contrary point have prospects leave that haven't shown early or elevated capability.

Reactions: Obliviax

Third round money for how many players? You act like NIL money is falling from the sky. Money to recruit 4 and 5 stars....money to keep 4 and 5 stars and more money to buy insurance.....how much do you estimate they have? Don't forget, other sports have their hands out as well.
It's folly to think a first round draft choice stays....the 15 pick last year got 17 million dollars. Please stop.
The 30th pick got nearly 13 million. How about you take the 17 million and set your family up for life?https://en.as.com/nfl/nfl-draft-2022-how-much-each-first-round-pick-will-be-paid-contract-values-n/

Keep in mine that most of these players have also finished their degrees in 3 years.

Forget the BS about -- if he gets hurt. Supposedly Olu and many like him came to PSU to get an education and to graduate, even if it is "Communication" degree. Any degree + plus PSU FB experience will open a lot of doors for Olu or any other player. Get your degree, then let the chips fall where they may.
That is 1970s thinking. This is semi-pro ball in 2022.

Maybe he's seriously injured but would it be the same situation for big Olu for the rest of the season if we were in line to be in the CFP? OR would he not want to risk his pro future regardless. Haven't seen any of the top players from the teams in the top 8-10 of the CFP rankings playing half a year and sitting out rest of the season.

Reactions: royboy
College football is now the minor leagues. Most are not there for a degree any more

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT