ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin = John Cooper (OSU)

OmniscientFan

Feb 24, 2005
Interesting conversation with a buddy of mine who is a huge OSU fan about Franklin. Went on to say that although Franklin is still young he reminds him of their former coach John Cooper.

Basically, Cooper was an incredible recruiter also and, if you looked at the numbers, you'd think was getting the job done when it came to wins and losses. But when it came down to the big games (was 2–10–1 record against archrival Michigan and 3–8 in bowl games) OSU found themselves more so on the losing end than the winning. Consequently, because of this Cooper was fired as the head coach of OSU.

Now by all means, this isn't a "Fire Franklin" post. But with that being said James Franklin is NO Joe Paterno and, based on this teams performance over the last two year, against teams we should have beat, James Franklin should NOT feel safe when it comes to his future as Penn State's football coach.

EDITED: Larry Johnson comment removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssn774
Interesting conversation with a buddy of mine who is a huge OSU fan about Franklin. Went on to say that although Franklin is still young he reminds him of their former coach John Cooper.

Basically, Cooper was an incredible recruiter also and, if you looked at the numbers, you'd think was getting the job done when it came to wins and losses. But when it came down to the big games (was 2–10–1 record against archrival Michigan and 3–8 in bowl games) OSU found themselves more so on the losing end than the winning. Consequently, because of this Cooper was fired as the head coach of OSU.

Now by all means, this isn't a "Fire Franklin" post. But with that being said James Franklin is NO Joe Paterno and, based on this teams performance over the last two year, against teams we should have beat, James Franklin should NOT feel safe when it comes to his future as Penn State's football coach.

He better get his crap together because I would have no problem... NO PROBLEM... if PSU (when they are legally allowed) to start calling Larry Johnson about being the next head coach at Penn State!

This post is so stupid in so many ways

He better get his crap together because I would have no problem... NO PROBLEM... if PSU (when they are legally allowed) to start calling Larry Johnson about being the next head coach at Penn State!
So, your plan is to fire CJF & hire Larry Johnson as our next HC? I have “no problem” in stating you’re out of your mind. The negative overreaction and critique of CJF & failing to see the positives he’s brought to this program, are both mind-boggling and hugely disappointing.

If 10-2 is the usual, I'm probably willing to accept it. Nebraska would kill for 10-2 right now. USC would. Most anybody in the SEC West would.

Now if we drop to 7 wins...iffy.

Reactions: step.eng69

There must be some bad drugs going around that you guys are inhaling before you post.

The first three years Franklin had to deal with crippling sanctions. He's really just two years into his mission. In the meantime, tOSU has been on an incredible streak. I knew this year we were rebuilding. We are just way too weak at DT and Linebacker. The area I expected to be better is WR and OL. Team played horribly, breaks didn't go our way, and we were still a toenail from winning against a team that many picked to win the B1G.

Patience.

Biggest news in this post is that you have a friend.

I told a friend of mine who is a WVU fan that posters on this board were talking about getting rid of Franklin and he said, “are they complete morons?”. So there’s that.

Good grief...maybe you should consider a cold shower...

Reactions: Hotshoe

And there it is- a call for Larry Johnson. A 70 year old D Line coach with no head coaching experience. Please..... move out of the past.

The fact is, even though the QB is a Senior, this team is pretty young. They just don't have the horses yet, especially up front, where they can come out and sleepwalk through a game and win. The defense can't win a game. I thought the WRs would be more dominant. I had them pegged at 8-4 and I stand by that. This was a team that could barely beat App State..... at home..... and was struggling with Illinois. They played Great against Ohio State, but they still lost. That was about as good as they could play.

The Michigan team I saw play last weekend might blow the doors off this team. There may be a couple more losses in their too. Will the sky be falling by then?

Reactions: Roswell-Blue
Franklin since the beginning of 2016 is 26-7 (.788), and if he finishes say 9-3 would make him 31-8 (.795).

Cooper in his 3rd through 5th seasons was 23-11-2 (.639).

This board is ridiculous.

Yes, good grief indeed! Another post of someone wracking their brains to find something else to criticize this cat about. We definitely have to get better, no doubt. But at some point all this hand wringing and fear says more about us than it does him. There is not a fan in the PSU universe carrying the weight of the team's performance more than him. Why would we think our pain is greater than his? As a young HC Franklin is not fully formed yet. All this pressure and heart ache will make him better or not. Then we'll know. You've got to go down before you go up and get to wear the crown. A journey.

Reactions: jrk11
LMFAO... oh the irony. Getting ripped by individuals who say I have no clue. Yet these are same people who say LJ is in his 70s. He's 66! Same age a Nick Saban.

From one douchebag to another: Get your facts straight.

And again... not calling for Franklin to get fired! Did you hear that: I'M NOT CALLING FOR FRANKLIN TO GET FIRED!!! Just stating he doesn't get a free pass based on anything he has done so far! He needs to get his crap together and start winning these F@#KING GAMES!!!!

HA!

Guns and/or Fonzie both have a better chance than Larry Johnson of ever being Head Football Coach of Penn State!

LMFAO... oh the irony. Getting ripped by individuals who say I have no clue. Yet these are same people who say LJ is in his 70s. He's 66! Same age a Nick Saban.

And again... not calling for Franklin to get fired! Did you hear that: I'M NOT CALLING FOR FRANKLIN TO GET FIRED!!! Just stating he doesn't get a free pass based on anything he has done so far! He needs to get his crap together and start winning these F@#KING GAMES!!!!

Yup ... no free pass for going 26-7 since 2016 bringing us back to relevance when we were the national laughing stock winning a Big Ten title winning a Fiesta bowl and having us recently with a top 5 recruiting class, (possibly) another top 10 this year, and (possibly) a top 3 finish in 2020. He ... deserves ... nothing. :rolleyes:

Sorry but you are clueless if you think we should hire Larry Johnson at this point in his career no matter what his age

By all means, for the last 15 years of his career Joe Paterno was no Joe Paterno.

66..... 70.... who cares. That would be the stupidest hire in the history of hires, and the program would not be better off.

To be fair here, John Cooper was an ass! Not a likable guy at all and the only reason he did as well as he did was the people around him! He was a good recruiter but a real douche as a person! Hell, they cut down a tree in his front yard one year after he lost to Michigan! Lmao

I sense that a number of posters take exception to your views.

Reactions: OmniscientFan
Each paragraph worse than the last. Well done!

So true ..its starts with a reasonable thought. One that I have made before though James may sell cars Cooper was a DH.

On Larry being head coach, hold on let me stick my face in this box fan. (Whap)

Ok I'm back. Umm no freaking way. Maybe the dumbest thought regarding head coach other than hiring Sandusky on work release.

Can we all just agree that those who believe Sean Spencer is as good or better DL coach as LJ bought the Koolaid because those two aren't in the same category.

Reactions: step.eng69

Since you are omniscient, you should know what my post is going to say before I type it, but since others are not omniscient, I will go ahead and spell it out for them.

1. Congrats on having friends.
2. Cooper was a choad. Franklin - not so much.
3. It is a "Fire Franklin" post, so stop with that. Joe had losing seasons in 1988, 1999 - 2001, 2003, 2004. Joe lost to some teams that they should have beaten simply by showing up - Cincinnatti in 1984, Toledo in 2000, Minny Ha Ha in 1999 and 2000, a bad F$U team in the Blockbuster Bowl, Miami in 1991 (?) and again in 1992, a mediocre Florida team in 1996. Those are off the top of my head. James Franklin is probably safer in his job than most people on this board are with theirs. If we have an AD that wants to fire a coach because of internet fan pressure, then that coach should run the eff away first. And if we have an AD that wants to fire a coach because of a couple of games that are one or three point losses, then that coach should run the eff away first. The losses are maddening, but they are maddening because Franklin has developed the program to a very high level very quickly - not elite unfortunately, but better than most.
4. You are an idiot if you think a 70 year old Larry Johnson is going to come to PSU to be the head coach. If he was that good, he would have been a head coach somewhere else by now.

Sweet jeebus, I get people are upset with the loss, as am I, but some of these comments show a complete tack of cognitive abilities and basic motor functions of a human brain.

This post is so stupid in so many ways
Seriously. Thanks Yoda.

I wrote that as a reply to you, not the OP. Duh.

But since he's omnicient and your response was basically perfect, I figure it's ok to keep it here. He'll know. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus. I quit reading but had to go back and look after seeing the 70 year old D Line coach comments. Larry Johnson? Seriously?

Reactions: Hotshoe
Jesus. I quit reading but had to go back and look after seeing the 70 year old D Line coach comments. Larry Johnson? Seriously?

I guess that was a stretch.:confused:

170585-I-Dont-Always-Say-Something-Stupid-But-When-I-Do-I-Keep-Talking-To-Make-It-Worse.jpg

The first three years Franklin had to deal with crippling sanctions. He's really just two years into his mission. In the meantime, tOSU has been on an incredible streak. I knew this year we were rebuilding. We are just way too weak at DT and Linebacker. The area I expected to be better is WR and OL. Team played horribly, breaks didn't go our way, and we were still a toenail from winning against a team that many picked to win the B1G.

Patience.

Saying people predicted MSU was going win the big ten in order to put lipstick on the pig doesn’t change the fact that in reality and not preseason predictions they’re a bad team with two terrible losses and a ton of injuries. Would be like losing to last years florida state team and saying it’s fine because people predicted they were going to win the acc.

Reactions: psu2016
Saying people predicted MSU was going win the big ten in order to put lipstick on the pig doesn’t change the fact that in reality and not preseason predictions they’re a bad team with two terrible losses and a ton of injuries. Would be like losing to last years florida state team and saying it’s fine because people predicted they were going to win the acc.

Well, I totally agree. We should have beaten MSU by any standard. We didn't. Then you have to consider if it was simply an upset or of there is some kind of pattern developing.

In this case, I feel like PSU over performed against tOSU and under performed against MSU. I can accept an "upset" as, as someone else posted, MSU got lucky in several areas and we simply didn't make some plays (hold onto some INTs).

He better get his crap together because I would have no problem... NO PROBLEM... if PSU (when they are legally allowed) to start calling Larry Johnson about being the next head coach at Penn State![/QUOTE]

Not to pile on by why would you think in any way LJ would be an upgrade over Franklin - he literally has zero track record as a Head Coach. If you said we could pull Sabin in then that at least makes some sense.

Well, I totally agree. We should have beaten MSU by any standard. We didn't. Then you have to consider if it was simply an upset or of there is some kind of pattern developing.

In this case, I feel like PSU over performed against tOSU and under performed against MSU. I can accept an "upset" as, as someone else posted, MSU got lucky in several areas and we simply didn't make some plays (hold onto some INTs).

Dantonio is becoming to Franklin what Lloyd Carr was to Paterno.

Not yet. Paterno lost nine straight to Carr and several were blowouts. Ferentz best Paterno five straight with less talent most years

ADVERTISEMENT