ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Warner is the REAL DEAL

I take it none of you attend NCAAs? Every year I've gone to NCAAs (haven't been there for a few hears now), the arena would roar in applause anytime an Iowa guy lost, even if it wasn't an upset. This was during years that Iowa wasn't even in title contention as a team. I sat next to the PSU section one year. And it happened when a kid from a small school with small fan base won, so it's not like it was that teams crowd.

Cheering a loss happens all of the time. I witnessed a ton of PSU fans do it at nationals. I guess all of those fans don't attend the state tourney in PA.

I've been to multiple NCAAs and PIAA's and it is a completely different crowd dynamic. States is filled with family and friends of the wrestlers and people very interested in PA high school wrestling in general. The majority of participants who go on to wrestle in college do not go to Penn State and many more will not wrestle in college at all therefore very few people would of been viewing this match from the perspective of future college affiliation. If people were supporting DeSanto, it was because they were friends and relatives, or people supporting Exeter High School or District 3 or because he was a big underdog or because some fans had an issue with Franklin Regional or perhaps Lee's mat demeanor over the years. Not because he chose Iowa over Penn State.

Last edited:
I've been to multiple NCAAs and PIAA's and it is a completely different crowd dynamic. States is filled with family and friends of the wrestlers and people very interested in PA high school wrestling in general. The majority of participants who go on to wrestle in college do not go to Penn State and many more will not wrestle in college at all therefore very few people would of been viewing this match from the perspective of future college affiliation. If people were supporting DeSanto, it was because they were friends and relatives, or people supporting Exeter High School or District 3 or because he was a big underdog or because some fans had an issue with Franklin Regional or perhaps Lee's mat demeanor over the years. Not because he chose Iowa over Penn State.

It is with great regret that I must tell you that you are so very wrong. I was there and I was sitting by Jody Strittmatter and the Lee family. When that match was over, what I heard and saw made me embarrassed. People knew the Lee’s and from across the aisle they were shouting WE ARE and someone literally stood up in his chair, pointed his finger at the family and told the family, take that loss to Iowa with you. I couldn’t believe that the father maintained his composure as he walked up the steps to the concourse with people yelling at him. It was intense, over the top and unnecessary. Lee represented the state at Schoolboy duals, Cadet duals, Junior duals, national championships, World Championships etc., and he will continue to represent the state of PA in College as well, because when FLO does their annual “what’s the best wrestling state”, Lee will always count for the state of PA in those high school rankings. We all know that he competed at States with a serious injury that he had aggravated multiple times during the run through Sections, Regionals and States. He made no excuses and gave it his best shot and the way the crowd said goodbye to one of our finest wrestlers was sad, and yes, much of it was due to his college choice. I personally heard it. It’s over, it’s in the past and can’t be undone, but I won’t tolerate anyone trying to say that the treatment and behavior didn’t happen—it did and it was wrong. I don’t understand why it’s coming up again, it’s over, but to say it didn’t happen--is a lie.

It is with great regret that I must tell you that you are so very wrong. I was there and I was sitting by Jody Strittmatter and the Lee family. When that match was over, what I heard and saw made me embarrassed. People knew the Lee’s and from across the aisle they were shouting WE ARE and someone literally stood up in his chair, pointed his finger at the family and told the family, take that loss to Iowa with you. I couldn’t believe that the father maintained his composure as he walked up the steps to the concourse with people yelling at him. It was intense, over the top and unnecessary. Lee represented the state at Schoolboy duals, Cadet duals, Junior duals, national championships, World Championships etc., and he will continue to represent the state of PA in College as well, because when FLO does their annual “what’s the best wrestling state”, Lee will always count for the state of PA in those high school rankings. We all know that he competed at States with a serious injury that he had aggravated multiple times during the run through Sections, Regionals and States. He made no excuses and gave it his best shot and the way the crowd said goodbye to one of our finest wrestlers was sad, and yes, much of it was due to his college choice. I personally heard it. It’s over, it’s in the past and can’t be undone, but I won’t tolerate anyone trying to say that the treatment and behavior didn’t happen—it did and it was wrong. I don’t understand why it’s coming up again, it’s over, but to say it didn’t happen--is a lie.
Well there you have it folks. Must have been 5 very vocal people! Happy Turk day everyone. Stay safe!

I don’t understand why it’s coming up again, it’s over, but to say it didn’t happen--is a lie.

I cut your quote down to save space.

I think FT went a little overboard in trying to say what others already said and it sounded black and white. I don’t think he nor anyone else said (or meant) “it” never happened. Of course it did. Always will when you have a crowd. Most everyone’s point is that there are always some loud and obnoxious people at every event that will be jerks. In actuality, it happens on these message boards also.

I posted earlier that I am lumped in with Philly fans regularly regardless of whether I do the same thing or not. Its not that I don’t own up to there being a vocal minority that act like children at our events….and that it can be irritating and even ruin things for some people. No one that goes to a game could deny it (in any part of the country….where there are people). I’ve been on the receiving end of it.

The problem is when talked about it becomes “the majority”, but in reality doesn’t apply to 98% of the people at the game. It sure can seem like everyone is joining in, but the fact is that it is usually a couple of dozen people that seem like they are everywhere, and most everyone else around that hears it is also embarrassed like you were. That has been most people’s point and if you really pay attention, you can’t think people here said it didn’t happen. It is the stereotyping part that gets people here (and anywhere) upset, and invites responses. This is all my opinion anyway (in case anyone wants to disagree...which thankfully we are free to do).

I’m not saying you are out of line for being upset, because I’ve been in that position myself and know it stings, but am just saying to read in the context of what everyone is really saying here.

Either way, I appreciate you bringing your thoughts up in a civil way and hope that kind of reply becomes the norm instead of all of the negativity that happens so quickly, and usually because of misunderstanding…of content, people trying to be funny (much of it), or there are people who just desire to stir the pot. (see Turk for example of trying to be funny… ;))

Today is a day to be thankful, so thanks for your contribution. Might sound funny, but it got me thinking positively. I’m thankful for my family, the freedom we have in this country even to talk like this, those who protect us, and the one who ultimately protects us and gave us the greatest gift that is free to anyone that wants it, regardless of what we have done in our life.

In a world where a guy(s) would name their thanksgiving turkey after cael to exact some sort of delusion revenge, yelling something at a tournament is completely plausible. Doesnt define any group, simply just a demonstration of idiocy at the most basic levels.

Odds are the names and groups will change but the actions and responses will remain the same.

I cut your quote down to save space.

I think FT went a little overboard in trying to say what others already said and it sounded black and white. I don’t think he nor anyone else said (or meant) “it” never happened. Of course it did. Always will when you have a crowd. Most everyone’s point is that there are always some loud and obnoxious people at every event that will be jerks. In actuality, it happens on these message boards also.

I posted earlier that I am lumped in with Philly fans regularly regardless of whether I do the same thing or not. Its not that I don’t own up to there being a vocal minority that act like children at our events….and that it can be irritating and even ruin things for some people. No one that goes to a game could deny it (in any part of the country….where there are people). I’ve been on the receiving end of it.

The problem is when talked about it becomes “the majority”, but in reality doesn’t apply to 98% of the people at the game. It sure can seem like everyone is joining in, but the fact is that it is usually a couple of dozen people that seem like they are everywhere, and most everyone else around that hears it is also embarrassed like you were. That has been most people’s point and if you really pay attention, you can’t think people here said it didn’t happen. It is the stereotyping part that gets people here (and anywhere) upset, and invites responses. This is all my opinion anyway (in case anyone wants to disagree...which thankfully we are free to do).

I’m not saying you are out of line for being upset, because I’ve been in that position myself and know it stings, but am just saying to read in the context of what everyone is really saying here.

Either way, I appreciate you bringing your thoughts up in a civil way and hope that kind of reply becomes the norm instead of all of the negativity that happens so quickly, and usually because of misunderstanding…of content, people trying to be funny (much of it), or there are people who just desire to stir the pot. (see Turk for example of trying to be funny… ;))

Today is a day to be thankful, so thanks for your contribution. Might sound funny, but it got me thinking positively. I’m thankful for my family, the freedom we have in this country even to talk like this, those who protect us, and the one who ultimately protects us and gave us the greatest gift that is free to anyone that wants it, regardless of what we have done in our life.

Not sure how I'm going overboard when most would consider including multiples factors as being thorough and necessary to a legitimate conversation. Only a very small handful of fans out of THOUSANDS are being alleged to have said anything inappropriate. That is what is called a nominal amount meaning they are statically insignificant yet we have a couple people over here dwelling on their actions in a disingenuous attempt to make generalizations about the entire crowd. 99.9% of the crown that supported DeSanto did so for the variety of reasons I outlined above, NOT because Lee chose Iowa over Penn State.

Last edited:
Reactions: D3wrestler
Tiger what you are saying is absurd. What did you do, poll the crowd? At least the other poster has factual data to back up what he thinks the crowds intentions are. You are just guessing and presenting it a fact to corroborate your beliefs.

Only absurd to a bias Lee fan. To think that all those people were cheering for DeSanto because Lee chose Iowa is a rather dubious claim and exhibits a classic defense mechanism to deal with the unpleasant situation of Lee losing and having most of the crowd cheer the result.

As far as having no proof, well I did post the entire match with over 2 minutes of after match reaction for everyone to view and all you hear is cheering, no name calling, no finger pointing, no batteries thrown. I've also been to multiple PIAAs and have picked up a feel for what brings people to the event and future college affiliation isn't in the top 5. Consider that a lot more credible then the ramblings of 1 bias Iowa poster.

Last edited:
Not sure how I'm going overboard when most would consider including multiples factors as being thorough and necessary to a legitimate conversation. Only a very small handful of fans out of THOUSANDS are being alleged to have said anything inappropriate. That is what is called a nominal amount meaning they are statically insignificant yet we have a couple people over here dwelling on their actions in a disingenuous attempt to make generalizations about the entire crowd. 99.9% of the crown that supported DeSanto did so for the variety of reasons I outlined above, NOT because Lee chose Iowa over Penn State.

Overboard was maybe not the right word. I think you are agreeing with most everyone that a small group of people were negative about it and most people didn't give the PSU angle a thought. It was that particular post that obviously seemed that way to a poster who happened to experience it live. Having been in that situation myself, I can understand why he felt the way he did. Thats all I meant, and I was just trying to clarify what you said for him.

You said, "If people were supporting DeSanto, it was because they were friends and relatives, or people supporting Exeter High School or District 3 or because he was a big underdog or because some fans had an issue with Franklin Regional or perhaps Lee's mat demeanor over the years. Not because he chose Iowa over Penn State."

I am not criticizing or disagreeing with you, only pointing out why someone might take what you said the wrong way. In the context of this thread (and what you previously wrote), most of us I'm sure knew what you meant, but I can see how he took it to be an either/or statement. In this case you (to some people) may not have seemed to leave any room for what actually happened, I think because you were focused elsewhere, and because it was such a small amount of people compared to all that were there. However, he experienced the hate from those that we couldn't see on the video. That sticks in your mind and tends to overshadow everything else. It can be hard not to feel like it came from all over. Again, that is from experience and it is not pleasant, can even be scary (if directed toward you). Few people would have even known it happened except those within earshot.

Again, jmo and maybe I should have left well enough alone (and maybe still should....words without face to face can be tricky). I had time and because it seems to be so rare anymore that someone comes to our board in a civil way to disagree (other than a few like Cowboy and Turk), I thought I'd throw my two cents in to try to help him understand. :)

Don't have to watch the video because I was there and it is quite obvious you weren't with your take but I get that the ride from Cedat Falls may be too long so I'll give you a pass.

And I prefer not to have my take colored listening to the comments of an 18 year old kid who just lost for the first time in the biggest match of his career as the crowd gave a standing ovation for his opponent. Tough spot for him but his view of what happened up there is a little skewed.
Exactly. This guy and several others from the Midwest seem to know better than those of us who were there live.

I'd be upset if a wrestler that (had never won a state title) dropped a weight on a real life 'vision quest' to wrestle someone in the conversation as the greatest hs wrestler of all time and then won did NOT elicit a standing O.

heck - i remember a standing O when a wholly unheralded kid from greensburg salem nearly beat a 3xer (Matt Ciasulli) in state finals. He LOST and they applauded him. It's not hate; it's context and appreciation.
Was that Sticka? (may have the spelled wrong) I was there and I think it was a semifinal match?

Last edited:
Reactions: NJ Lion
And he won the match by fall and Warner majored him in dominating fashion.
your point? you posted on 2 sites the same info, so this must be important to you. Please fill us all in, as I dont want to disappoint you and give you the attention you apparently crave.

Miklus is the real deal -
REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (2014-15)

• Went from preseason unranked grappler to nationally ranked and NCAA All-American at 184 pounds. Went 33-9 overall including an 18-3 dual (6-0 MAC) record.
  • Finished in 7th place at 2015 NCAA Championships, producing a 5-2 record along the way.
  • At NCAA's, defeated No. 6 Taylor Meeks (Oregon State), No. 7 Lorenzo Thomas (Penn), No. 14 Richard Robertson (Wisconsin) and No. 15 Timothy Dudley (Nebraska) nationally ranked opponents in the country.
  • Had 18 starts at 184 pounds for the Tigers and three starts at 197 pounds.
  • Began the 2014-15 season with an 18-0 record, highlighted by a win over No. 2 Jack Dechow (Old Dominion) on Nov. 23, 2014.
  • 24 of his 33 season wins resulted in bonus points, good enough for .727 perctange of his overall victories.
  • In his 18 dual victories this season, accumulated 82 points (2nd most on Mizzou, only trailed J’den Cox’s 87).
  • Tallied 14 pins throughout the season, tops among Tiger Style starters for the 2014-15 campaign.
  • Took down six nationally ranked foes at 184 pounds, including four alone at 2015 NCAA Championships.
  • Named MAC Freshman of the Year by the league office on April 7, 2015.
FRESHMAN (2013-14)

Didn't see the match with VT.
Reason you have the match, so he was getting beat but he won
with the fall shit happens in this great sport..Did the VT guy get caught or did he get careless ?
Point is after said and done he won and that is all that matters.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
your point? you posted on 2 sites the same info, so this must be important to you. Please fill us all in, as I dont want to disappoint you and give you the attention you apparently crave.
The thread is titled “Jacob Warner is the real deal”. Some on here downplayed his victory over Miklus saying Miklus was overrated and coming off an injury. Miklus pins the #2 guy at the weight tonight so I am simply updating a thread with relevant and factual info. If that is seeking attention then I guess I am guilty

Haught was up 7-1 after 2 periods. Got caught going for another TD at the start of the 3rd.

Miklus is good. Miklus is very good, but has not as of yet been wrestling at the level he would expect from himself this year. He had a terrible injury and missed an entire year and also moved up a weight class. I think everyone knew Warner was a stud. Warner is a top 6 type of guy right now imo, but not a sure fire champion just yet.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Didn't see the match with VT.
Reason you have the match, so he was getting beat but he won
with the fall shit happens in this great sport..Did the VT guy get caught or did he get careless ?
Point is after said and done he won and that is all that matters.

The VT coaches were pushing Haught to get the major and he got a little careless. Miklus hit a Dylan Ness special.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
The thread is titled “Jacob Warner is the real deal”. Some on here downplayed his victory over Miklus saying Miklus was overrated and coming off an injury. Miklus pins the #2 guy at the weight tonight so I am simply updating a thread with relevant and factual info. If that is seeking attention then I guess I am guilty

admitting your problem is the first step.

In the future we watch as much wrestling or more than you guys and can update our relevant and factual info. Yes, Im using the HR retort against you. seeing smirnoff giving you a like, I need to demonstrate the irony of this all.

Reactions: diggerpup
I'm seeing a lot of Rivals join dates by Iowa fans over the past year. I think they need to realize college wrestling didn't just start after Spencer Lee committed.
We know college wrestling started long ago but if we bring that up, then we are living in the past.

I just watched the Miklus-Haught match. Sure Haught was winning and you can maybe say he "got caught", but credit must be given to Miklus. He could have just packed it in and took a major decision loss, cause that is where the match was headed. But he did not quit wrestling and hit his gator bacon for the pin.

What most more impressive to me though was his great sportsmanship he displayed immediately after getting the pin. No celebration at all. Crazy because he just pinned the number 2 guy in dramatic fashion after he was losing big. Immediately just lended his hand to help up Haught up off the mat. Then he just shook hands and walked off the mat like no big deal. Just thought that was pretty cool.

Willie is a great young man. I actually had the pleasure of getting to know him pretty well when he was wrestling for Ballard of Huxley just a few minutes from Ames. He has had some pretty severe injuries along the way but always seems to bounce back.

What most more impressive to me though was his great sportsmanship he displayed immediately after getting the pin. No celebration at all. Crazy because he just pinned the number 2 guy in dramatic fashion after he was losing big. Immediately just lended his hand to help up Haught up off the mat. Then he just shook hands and walked off the mat like no big deal. Just thought that was pretty cool.

Well that just makes me an instant fan of his. 'Act like you've been there before' is not just a football thing. #humble

I take it none of you attend NCAAs? Every year I've gone to NCAAs (haven't been there for a few hears now), the arena would roar in applause anytime an Iowa guy lost, even if it wasn't an upset. This was during years that Iowa wasn't even in title contention as a team. I sat next to the PSU section one year. And it happened when a kid from a small school with small fan base won, so it's not like it was that teams crowd.

Cheering a loss happens all of the time. I witnessed a ton of PSU fans do it at nationals. I guess all of those fans don't attend the state tourney in PA.
Yeah, Eagle games are nothing but peace and love.

jmadden, any more relevant and factual updates?

jmadden, any more relevant and factual updates?
Warner got beat 5-4. Both relevant and factual. I admit when I’m wrong. Got too excited about his Miklus victory. Got to remember he is still a true freshman and there will be bad matches. Hopefully he learns from it and doesn’t stop wrestling with a 1 point lead. You win.

Reactions: dunkej01
Should we start a Spencer Lee thread. He looked pretty good. Oh wait, somebody already did.

Last edited:
Warner got beat 5-4. Both relevant and factual. I admit when I’m wrong. Got too excited about his Miklus victory. Got to remember he is still a true freshman and there will be bad matches. Hopefully he learns from it and doesn’t stop wrestling with a 1 point lead. You win.

Dont give in so quick. Warner is the real deal. I'm not saying Warner would be the national champ but Mark Hall got beat by Brucki last year.

ADVERTISEMENT