ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Warner is the REAL DEAL

I believe there is only one definition of the word fact. It either happened or it didn't. The great thing about facts is that they are true whether or not you choose to believe them.

The board has its own widely-accepted definition: link it or it didn't happen.

Reactions: dunkej01
News Flash: there are a lot of different kinds of people, both in Pennsylvania and Iowa. It's weird I know. Some have better manners than others.

Here's my spencer vs. desanto story: I really wanted spencer to commit to PSU, and was bummed he didn't. So much so that our own super-frosh at 125 just wasn't as exciting to me as he normally would have been. I was with my family that day, and we were watching on PCN in between a (very) late holiday gift exchange. I was excited to see history in the making, as I assumed Spencer would just roll his way to his 4th title (didn't know about the injury at the time). Started reading up about Desanto, saw he'd dropped down to get a 2nd crack at Spencer. Immediately, thought "damn, that kid has my respect!"

Then, the match happened. It was super exciting. It was like watching the Bad News Bears, or Major League, or Air Bud or Rudy. When Desanto got his hand raised, my family went nuts (and me along w/ them). I can't quantify my emotions, but largely, it was the underdog narrative that stirred me, but there was definitely some schadenfreude too. All in a days work of being a fan. And: No Big Deal.

Shouting "traitor" is a bit much, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if a few people did it. Just like people that go to "Sandusky" to win any argument, some people just have no self control or pride.

Edit: I would second the fact that High School wrestling here is a whole 'nother beast. PSU fans surely make up some of the crowd, but I'd be surprised if it was even a majority. A lot of proud programs in the state, both at the HS and the College level.

So now when confronted by opposition, sports fan has backed it down to a fan yelling loser and another yelling traitor after the match.

I'm glad that is cleared up and obviously we misconstrued the intent of your original post. It was a call to be better for those couple of people - likely kids - interjected into the thread. Maybe a non sequitur, but thanks for the public service. I would suggest you also post this on the Mat Town open thread as well so it reaches a wider audience.

LMAO

So now when confronted by opposition, sports fan has backed it down to a fan yelling loser and another yelling traitor after the match.

I'm glad that is cleared up and obviously we misconstrued the intent of your original post. It was a call to be better for those couple of people - likely kids - interjected into the thread. Maybe a non sequitur, but thanks for the public service. I would suggest you also post this on the Mat Town open thread as well so it reaches a wider audience.

LMAO

Spyker will take Things Nobody's Buying for $500, Alex.

The reality is, there were thousands of people there. Sure some were cheering Desantos win. I can guarantee a good handful were cheering Spencer's loss.
And you weren't one of them. I was. People were cheering DeSantos accomplishment s. What he has overcome, then to move to Lee's weight (a guy who yeched him in finals previous year) for shot at remdemption
Yes.....I heard the booing during the match and I saw Lee getting up slowly and walking back slowly....perfectly understandable booing. Please read my comment again. "As he was walking by" Lee walked by my section on the way off the mat. The match was over. The comments I stated and similar ones were made as he walked on and off. The "Loser" comment was only yelled after the match. I didn't have to survey anyone. They made their comments loud and clear. There was/is no doubt that some wished him Ill will in Iowa and referred to him as a traitor for not going to PSU. They said/yelled it loud enough for me to hear clearly. Some of the things were apparently loud enough for Spencer to hear as well. So......since I am an "Earwitness".....yes.....definitely an ascertainable fact.
5 out of 5000 maybe. 1/10 of 1%? There are idiots and ill-willed people everywhere that does not speak for an entire fan contingency as a whole. Did you look and were the people yelling wearing PSU garb? And they said "you're a traitor for not going to PSU?" I think some of that may have happened (some) but that was not the intent of your op. You attempted to paint PSU fans as a whole to be trashing spencer.

The reality is, there were thousands of people there. Sure some were cheering Desantos win. I can guarantee a good handful were cheering Spencer's loss.
Gotta give you that one. Out of the 9000 there, there probably was a handful who cheered because SL lost. The other 8,995 stood to recognize DeSanto's accomplishment.

Where did y'all come up with the number 5 for the people who stood cheered that Spencer lost? Nice small number that doesn't make anybody look bad right?
So is it your contention that Pennsylvania high school Wrestling fans have a higher percentage of people lacking class than Iowa High School wrestling fans? Is that really what you're suggesting? We certainly have fewer "bottle your emotions until death" of the Scandinavian ilk here (though I am one). PA is mostly Scots-Irish (very emotive) and German (probably gives the Norwegians & Swedes a run for their money on unhealthy stoicism). Throw into that some Italians on our eastern border, and poles and slovaks in the rust-belt west, and you may have a case that more of us call 'em like we see 'em. We're also fiercely tribal--part a byproduct of the waves of immigration here, and partially a result of our ridge and valley geography. That's why High School wrestling is so big here--your tough kids get a chance to beat the wussy kids from the next holler over. It's a lot of fun, but maybe we're not reserved enough for your taste.

LMAO

Wow. Did you read my original thread? I did not back anything down. I said "some" people. And it WAS "Some" people. Others ( the "Opposition" you refer to ) commented stating or implying that I said the entire crowd,,,,most or a majority. Those were other posters view of what they decided I meant. I didn't back anything down.....I just added more specifics since others claimed I was referring to booing during the match.......claiming it never happened....claiming I was referring to the entire crowd ...or even claiming I wasn't there. It wasn't just two people yelling negative stuff but it certainly wasn't all...or most or a majority ...or even a lot. I said some. I never attempted to paint PSU in a negative light.....just used one incident where a few people acted in a way that I consider cruel.....kinda like a few posters do. My entire point was that I wished that that type of behavior didn't occur. I fully understand that these isolated incidents happen everywhere. Mentioning PSU and Iowa just happened to be part of the example I used. It was the behavior that was the point of my post. I didn't realize that using what I saw and heard as a call to do better would turn basically into a thread of its own to ....in many cases...invent a slant on my words to criticize and belittle.....even calling me a liar. It morphed into arguments about how many "some" was.....did it happen.......did Desanto deserve a standing O? ( Yes ).....why were they really cheering?....what percentages shall we allocate to each possibility...and then the inevitable Iowa vs PSU...who does this/that more often and worse....etc.....ie the exact same thing I was encouraging people to stop. I don't understand the need ( for some ) to take every post and create in your mind the worst possible mutation of said post and proceed to rant about what you created in your mind...continually misrepresenting what is actually in the post. So much for the call to do better. Lesson learned. Peace

Last edited:
News Flash: there are a lot of different kinds of people, both in Pennsylvania and Iowa. It's weird I know. Some have better manners than others.

Here's my spencer vs. desanto story: I really wanted spencer to commit to PSU, and was bummed he didn't. So much so that our own super-frosh at 125 just wasn't as exciting to me as he normally would have been. I was with my family that day, and we were watching on PCN in between a (very) late holiday gift exchange. I was excited to see history in the making, as I assumed Spencer would just roll his way to his 4th title (didn't know about the injury at the time). Started reading up about Desanto, saw he'd dropped down to get a 2nd crack at Spencer. Immediately, thought "damn, that kid has my respect!"

Then, the match happened. It was super exciting. It was like watching the Bad News Bears, or Major League, or Air Bud or Rudy. When Desanto got his hand raised, my family went nuts (and me along w/ them). I can't quantify my emotions, but largely, it was the underdog narrative that stirred me, but there was definitely some schadenfreude too. All in a days work of being a fan. And: No Big Deal.

Shouting "traitor" is a bit much, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if a few people did it. Just like people that go to "Sandusky" to win any argument, some people just have no self control or pride.

Edit: I would second the fact that High School wrestling here is a whole 'nother beast. PSU fans surely make up some of the crowd, but I'd be surprised if it was even a majority. A lot of proud programs in the state, both at the HS and the College level.

I used to go to districts and regionals at Altoona. The first year I got there late and was surprised to see a lot of empty seats in the far left corner. I quickly learned that is where the Philipsburg-Oceola fans sat. I also quickly learned how much they hated Bald Eagle Area. They were passionate and rabid fans....and LOUD. Every year after that I showed up late and headed right for their section. Good Memories :)

Where did y'all come up with the number 5 for the people who stood cheered that Spencer lost? Nice small number that doesn't make anybody look bad right?
That was in reference to the people in sportsfan's area who he "earwitnessed" yelling traitor and loser.

Especially because the overdog a year before had been a little cheap at the end of their match that year and was known for throwing his headgear when he didn’t crush a guy as much as he thought he should have.

Hopefully the overdog learned some humility

My brother attends states every year. He told me that the referenced type of behavior by Lee was not an exception and that a lot of people (especially District 3 people) were happy to see him take a loss to DeSanto, regardless of what college Lee would be attending. In other words, it had zero to do with Lee not going to Penn State and everything to do with bad behavior on the mat over the years.

I take it none of you attend NCAAs? Every year I've gone to NCAAs (haven't been there for a few hears now), the arena would roar in applause anytime an Iowa guy lost, even if it wasn't an upset. This was during years that Iowa wasn't even in title contention as a team. I sat next to the PSU section one year. And it happened when a kid from a small school with small fan base won, so it's not like it was that teams crowd.

Cheering a loss happens all of the time. I witnessed a ton of PSU fans do it at nationals. I guess all of those fans don't attend the state tourney in PA.

In a tournament, it's usually a good idea to root for your rivals to lose. Granted, we're probably being a bit nostalgic in considering Iowa a true rival, but we like holding on to our misery from the Gable years well enough....

Reactions: Onceafish
no
In a tournament, it's usually a good idea to root for your rivals to lose. Granted, we're probably being a bit nostalgic in considering Iowa a true rival, but we like holding on to our misery from the Gable years well enough....
not rooting for the rivals to lose, but for their opponent to win. And when that happens one claps.

I take it none of you attend NCAAs? Every year I've gone to NCAAs (haven't been there for a few hears now), the arena would roar in applause anytime an Iowa guy lost, even if it wasn't an upset. This was during years that Iowa wasn't even in title contention as a team. I sat next to the PSU section one year. And it happened when a kid from a small school with small fan base won, so it's not like it was that teams crowd.

Cheering a loss happens all of the time. I witnessed a ton of PSU fans do it at nationals. I guess all of those fans don't attend the state tourney in PA.
I'm definitely going to do that this year, because I'm just going to assume all iowa fans and wrestlers are like you.

Reactions: D3wrestler

Ok, you want to trade that for all your titles? Do you wish to get booed this year if it means you get a title?

Your points are flat. Your facts are message board dribble, repackage as your own thoughts. You have yet to pull one person to your side.

What does that mean? It means your internet game is very weak sauce.

Hurry back!

PS-if you want lessons I know a guy.

I didn't say whether it's right or wrong. I just said it happens undoubtedly. Anyone who's attended NCAAs can attest to that. Seems unlikely all those PSU fans doing it for an Iowa loss at NCAAs wouldn't do it for a hs Lee Iowa commit.

I don't really gaf. Just gives Lee more motivation. And read the thread I wasn't the one who brought this up.

Oh no! Fans from other schools cheered when little David beat big bad goliath Iowa! Not that!

f4727a24fc6b282fef44598502ecd827--mr-bill-art-images.jpg

Reactions: diggerpup
Oh no! Fans from other schools cheered when little David beat big bad goliath Iowa! Not that!

f4727a24fc6b282fef44598502ecd827--mr-bill-art-images.jpg

Were guys like Josh Dziewa Goliath? Lol. In a year Iowa is not in title contention.

Again, I'm not placing any judgement on doing it. Just pointing out it happens and reading some of your comments you'd think it's impossible.

Were guys like Josh Dziewa Goliath? Lol. In a year Iowa is not in title contention.

Again, I'm not placing any judgement on doing it. Just pointing out it happens and reading some of your comments you'd think it's impossible.

4 out of 10 back pats - trending up though.

If Dziewa wasn't, then why did Brands bother to flip him from Rutgers?

If Dziewa wasn't, then why did Brands bother to flip him from Rutgers?

Hes new to this thing of ours....but he appears to either take copious notes dating back through the summer or search for copy/paste items like hes jacked up on Mt. Dew.

to actually answer your question, i am guessing it is because "someone" referenced a handful of fans...

Reactions: nitlion6

to actually answer your question, i am guessing it is because "someone" referenced a handful of fans...

But if you're Zac Brunson, "a handful" equals only 2 or 3.

Hes new to this thing of ours....but he appears to either take copious notes dating back through the summer or search for copy/paste items like hes jacked up on Mt. Dew.
So you're saying he has a 1" or 2" binder, working to fill a 3" binder?

Reactions: diggerpup
So is it your contention that Pennsylvania high school Wrestling fans have a higher percentage of people lacking class than Iowa High School wrestling fans? Is that really what you're suggesting? We certainly have fewer "bottle your emotions until death" of the Scandinavian ilk here (though I am one). PA is mostly Scots-Irish (very emotive) and German (probably gives the Norwegians & Swedes a run for their money on unhealthy stoicism). Throw into that some Italians on our eastern border, and poles and slovaks in the rust-belt west, and you may have a case that more of us call 'em like we see 'em. We're also fiercely tribal--part a byproduct of the waves of immigration here, and partially a result of our ridge and valley geography. That's why High School wrestling is so big here--your tough kids get a chance to beat the wussy kids from the next holler over. It's a lot of fun, but maybe we're not reserved enough for your taste.
How in God's green earth did you come up with that response to my post?

Good Lord stop that. Every time you notice your point has no merit, you shift your aim a bit to a near subject and claim "point made".

Comparing a watermelon to an avocado in an effort to make a peanut point, might work in your head. But in reality, it is just pointless.

Last edited:
Back to the original point of the OP just for a moment.

First, Warner was very impressive over the weekend and does appear to have a reasonable shot at having an outstanding college career.

Secondly, I really hope they pull his shirt, along with Lee, because even with those 2 and PD3, Iowa has about a 2% chance of winning the title this year. It's only as high as 2% to account for the chance that BOTH PSU and tOSU sustain major injuries. (Knock on wood.)

So if they pull the shirts they're just wasting a year each of their eligibility.

#freethelee, #uncornerwarner

I'll admit I used to cheer when Iowa wrestlers lost at the National as they were such a title threat. Fortunately I don't need to do that any longer ...

I'll admit I used to cheer when Iowa wrestlers lost at the National as they were such a title threat. Fortunately I don't need to do that any longer ...

Well, then that just proves it -- you are, with 100% certainty, one of the fans at Hershey who cheered against Lee because he was an Iowa commit.

You can't do one if you're not also doing the other.

It's amazing that every PSU fan at nationals the last time Vodka was there was also at PIAA states last year, when vodka was there. What are the odds?

Reactions: slushhead
It's amazing that every PSU fan at nationals the last time Vodka was there was also at PIAA states last year, when vodka was there. What are the odds?

Yeah -- the most confusing part of it for me is that even though I have not set foot in Hershey since 1999, I was somehow still at PIAA states booing Lee last year. I wasn't there, but I was there booing him...because I had gone to Nationals in 2015 and cheered Moisey when he stuck Gilman. I even stood when I did it.

Not sure why I can't reconcile 2 plus c equaling flying donkey in this case . . . must be the vodka I had for breakfast.

Just read through the thread. Amazing how a thread goes off the rails once a pissing match starts.

I'll go with my 1st thought after opening the thread. How does beating Miklus suddenly project Warner into the finals? Two years ago Miklus went 3-3 at NCAAs. After getting majored by Dudley he then went 0-2 in wrestle-backs. How Miklus will do up a weight, after a RS year, is an unknown.

Warner is 'probably' pretty good, but I would have as much reason to project Caesar into the finals ... after all, he owns a 3-1 record over the preseason #4 ranked wrestler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT