ukugL0.gif

From the linked article...

Oh, Hello Wrestling Edition: Jack Davis Commits to Nittany Lions
2018 Wyoming Seminary product flips from Pitt to PSU

By Clay Sauertieg
Jun 13, 2018, 7:12pm EDT

usa_today_9856144.0.jpg

Joe Maiorana-USA TODAY Sports

At this point it just kind of seems like bullying.

Davis, who wrestled at 132 pounds this past season and projects as a either a 133- or 141-pounder, is a National Prep champion and joins Mason Manville on the team from the Sem program.

Manville’s younger brother, Carson, just completed his freshman season from Wyoming Sem at 138 pounds.

Davis joins a loaded class that includes Aaron Brooks, Seth Nevills, Michael Beard, Roman Bravo-Young, Gavin Teasdale, Brody Teske and Joe Lee,

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...g-edition-jack-davis-commits-to-nittany-lions

Wrestling: Davis commits to PSU

BY ERIC SHULTZ /
PUBLISHED: JUNE 14, 2018

Jack Davis will be wrestling closer to home than previously thought.

He could be that much closer to celebrating another national championship, too.

It wouldn’t be Davis’ first national title. He earned two gold medals during his four years at Sem, during which the team took second place in the National Prep Wrestling Championships every season.

Individually, the nationally-ranked 132-pounder closed his Sem career with his third straight Pennsylvania preps title and second national title in February. He first won nationals gold as a 120-pounder in 2016, and he also took second at 126 in 2017.

Additionally, Davis’ resume even includes international experience. In 2016, Davis placed fifth for the United States at the Cadet World Championships.

http://m.citizensvoice.com/sports/wrestling-davis-commits-to-psu-1.2349377

Reactions: lionlover
Any relation?

Jack Davis steps down as wrestling coach
davis.jpeg

Jack Davis '74 recently stepped down as head wrestling coach after completing five years as head coach and his 22nd season overall with the Clarion wrestling staff. Davis will continue serving as an assistant professor in the department of health and physical education.

Davis has been part of the Clarion University wrestling tradition for 26 seasons, including four years as a wrestler (1970-74), 17 as an assistant coach (1976-92) and five as the head coach (1993-97).

http://media.clarion.edu/beyond/alumni_news/alumni_news_7-97/stories/DavisStepsDownasWrestling.html

Wyoming Seminary wrestler Jack Davis wins national title; Blue Knights finish 2nd as team

February 27, 2016
Times Leader
web1_Jack_Davis.jpg

BETHLEHEM — Hanover Township resident Jack Davis claimed a title at the National Prep Championships on Saturday for Wyoming Seminary.

Davis defeated two-time defending national champion Joey Prata from St. Christopher’s, 3-1 to claim the national title in his first appearance in the tournament.

Manville, a Penn State recruit, won his second national title in three years winning by technical fall over Jake Barry from Poly Prep.

https://www.timesleader.com/sports/...ational-title-blue-knights-finish-2nd-as-team

From the linked article..,

PENNSYLVANIA’S JACK DAVIS WINS CADET GRECO-ROMAN NATIONALS

Wyoming Seminary sophomore Jack Davis carried his momentum from the Folkstyle season in Greco-Roman winning the 2016 Cadet National Championship in Akron, Ohio on Friday.

The 2016 National Prep Champion competed at 58 KG / 127 lbs. in the Cadet Greco-Roman Nationals and rolled into the finals after winning his opening match by tech-fall (11-0) and picking up a fall in the quarterfinals. In the semifinals Davis knocked of top seed Patrick Ramirez (California) by a (7-1) score advancing into the Championship finals. In the finals Jack took on Oklahoma wrestler Jack Karstetter to determine the spot on Team USA’s Cadet Greco-Roman World Team.

http://www.papowerwrestling.com/pen...det-greco-roman-nationals-to-make-world-team/

Seems much better than #95 in the class of 2018. That’s where Open Mat ranked him at end of the season. Lower weights are really getting competitive.

Any relation?

Jack Davis steps down as wrestling coach
davis.jpeg

Jack Davis '74 recently stepped down as head wrestling coach after completing five years as head coach and his 22nd season overall with the Clarion wrestling staff. Davis will continue serving as an assistant professor in the department of health and physical education.

Davis has been part of the Clarion University wrestling tradition for 26 seasons, including four years as a wrestler (1970-74), 17 as an assistant coach (1976-92) and five as the head coach (1993-97).

http://media.clarion.edu/beyond/alumni_news/alumni_news_7-97/stories/DavisStepsDownasWrestling.html

I don't think so.......
however, Jack's son Scott was a PIAA champion and went on to play baseball in college, while his brother Rocky played football in college.

i wonder if this flip is related to the open transfer rules. he might think it's best for him to get in the psu room for a year or two and try to compete for a starting spot and if that doesn't pan out, transfer to a lower tier school and start immediately.

Reactions: garw and Dogwelder
i wonder if this flip is related to the open transfer rules. he might think it's best for him to get in the psu room for a year or two and try to compete for a starting spot and if that doesn't pan out, transfer to a lower tier school and start immediately.
Secondary benefit at most. One of the linked articles above said he had reopened his recruitment back in April. Lock Haven was one of his new finalists. Plus he probably didn't suddenly decide to go with PSU the same day the transfer rules news broke.

Gotta wonder what Pitt was thinking, not getting a signed NLI from him back in November.

Secondary benefit at most. One of the linked articles above said he had reopened his recruitment back in April. Lock Haven was one of his new finalists. Plus he probably didn't suddenly decide to go with PSU the same day the transfer rules news broke.

Gotta wonder what Pitt was thinking, not getting a signed NLI from him back in November.

I believe more than one of our 2018 recruits has not signed a LOI.

I believe more than one of our 2018 recruits has not signed a LOI.
I'll spot you Beard and Brooks, who are both grayshirting and therefore cannot accept a scholarship for the 2019 academic year. And the guys who are not top 100 national recruits.

Who else hasn't?

Point is still the same: top 100 national recruit presumably commands some athletic money, especially at a program like Pitt. He didn't accept their offer in writing in either the early or regular signing periods.

Seems, from my perspective, we now have a full room. Haven't heard much lately, as the summer lull has hit, but here's where the room is at this moment...with another move or two possible later.

Wrestling has a self-imposed roster limit of 37. We ended 2018 with 38 when Mr. Kuhn joined the program while Mr. Yanovich, due to injury departed but stayed on the roster. We know of 8 departing guys total right now, and 7 new faces arriving. Voila, 37.

Each year, the team's "personality" changes, with the departures and arrivals. Cael and the coaches consider this part of the job's enjoyment each year, as they enjoy the change in dynamics. Which wresters will emerge as leaders? How will those already taking leadership responsibility up their game? There's also excitement watching each and every wrestler improve, but especially the new faces, as their learning/improvement can be pretty steep. All part of the FUN!!

Last edited:
Reactions: tabenn and nitlion6
Seems, from my perspective, we now have a full room. Haven't heard much lately, as the summer lull has hit, but here's where the room is at this moment...with another move or two possible later.

Wrestling has a self-imposed roster limit of 37. We ended 2018 with 38 when Mr. Kuhn joined the program while Mr. Yanovich, due to injury departed but stayed on the roster. We know of 8 departing guys total right now, and 7 new faces arriving. Voila, 37.

Who are the 7 new people? Looking at Dice's spreadsheet, he listed 9 that are freshman with a RS available so I assume they are incoming Freshman. He has Brooks and Beard listed as next year. The list of 9 he has is Teske, Teasdale, RBY, Davis, Feite, Joe Lee, Edsell and Seth Nevills. Are two of those guys not coming this semester or am I not understanding something? He has 41 people listed. So, are there 4 guys listed not returning?

I tried to add the link to the spreadsheet here but apparently I don't know how...

Who are the 7 new people? Looking at Dice's spreadsheet, he listed 9 that are freshman with a RS available so I assume they are incoming Freshman. He has Brooks and Beard listed as next year. The list of 9 he has is Teske, Teasdale, RBY, Davis, Feite, Joe Lee, Edsell and Seth Nevills. Are two of those guys not coming this semester or am I not understanding something? He has 41 people listed. So, are there 4 guys listed not returning?

I tried to add the link to the spreadsheet here but apparently I don't know how...
RBY, Feite, S. Nevills, J. Lee, Teske, Teasdale, and Davis. Van Cura is departing, and I forgot about Edsell...so as I said, more movement before the season.

RBY, Feite, S. Nevills, J. Lee, Teske, Teasdale, and Davis. Van Cura is departing, and I forgot about Edsell...so as I said, more movement before the season.
I only listed 8, missed Meredith. Also Bisono is listed twice so there are 40. Not a big deal, was more curious if someone wasn't coming. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: udt012
I don't think so.......
however, Jack's son Scott was a PIAA champion and went on to play baseball in college, while his brother Rocky played football in college.

Yes, Scott had a baseball scholly to the SEC Kentucky Wildcats but eventually transferred to Delaware State where he had a nice career ( Career BA nearly 350) as starting infielder. Scott was by all accounts a terrific all-around athlete...starting HS QB as a Soph b4 he broke his leg. Rocky was a Place Kicker for the West Chester Golden Rams.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Jan Johnson is in line for some serious playing time this year, so he may be one that is coming off the roster. Especially considering Seth is coming in at 285, rumors of Cassar moving up, plus Nicholas for depth.

I think that his commitment might be Greco related. He's big into Greco and I'd imagine having his old high school teammate and current PSU wrestler/world team member on the roster in Manville helped. Not to mention the NLWC has brought in Olympian Ben Provisor. There isn't a whole lot of Greco training to be had at Pitt...

I'll spot you Beard and Brooks, who are both grayshirting and therefore cannot accept a scholarship for the 2019 academic year. And the guys who are not top 100 national recruits.

Who else hasn't?

Point is still the same: top 100 national recruit presumably commands some athletic money, especially at a program like Pitt. He didn't accept their offer in writing in either the early or regular signing periods.
Beard and Brooks makes more than one. They each have a reason for wanting to go to PSU and reasons for not putting pen to paper in the form of a committing signature.

Pitt may have made a tactical error in not pushing for a loi. However it is just as likely they believed pushing for that signature was going to result in a definite loss of recruit and waiting gave them time to save the recruit.

Lastly, for putting me in a position that forced me to publicly acknowledge I can at times give Pitt the benefit of a doubt - I hate you.;)

Reactions: Dogwelder
I think that his commitment might be Greco related. He's big into Greco and I'd imagine having his old high school teammate and current PSU wrestler/world team member on the roster in Manville helped. Not to mention the NLWC has brought in Olympian Ben Provisor. There isn't a whole lot of Greco training to be had at Pitt...

Makes sense. This came to mind when I saw the Greco article above.

That's gotta be a kick in the stones/somewhat embarrassing to Pitt HC Keith Gavin who's also from NE PA/District 2. (Yes, I know Sem isn't in the PIAA).
Gavin will need to get used to this just like Narduzzi is getting used to it in football. Jack Davis had a decision to make: wrestle everyday in a mediocre program with no chance of national attention or fight for mat time at an elite program. Same is going on in football. Pitt is fighting for MAC level recruits who just want playing time while Penn State is getting elite kids who want to fight for playing time on a team with national championship aspirations.

I believe his mom works for a Penn St branch which allows him discounted tuition

I'm assuming it's this and nothing else. More Greco in Happy Valley. We Are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT