ADVERTISEMENT

I've come to the conclusion that I don't think Penn State should play Pitt.

I am more ambivalent. I grew up during the peak of the rivalry (at least nationally). I don't think it needs to be an annual game because I like having the chance of seeing other "BCS" conference foes. If PSU and Pitt schedule a 2 or 4 game series, I really think it is sufficient. Pre-conference it was a game that was needed but with both schools in different conferences it just isn't the same in my eyes.

Seriously, I know 2 guys (on my softball team--mid 30's) who make the argument that this game, at least this year, is bad for Pitt. If they win, it will be because Penn State is still suffering from sanctions. If they lose, it will be a public relations catastrophe.
That's possible for sure.

Hopefully Sandy gets exposed to the vitriol from Pitt fans and how vile they are and she decides that's it. We're done playing Pitt. Buy them out and we'll fill Beaver Stadium with 95,000 plus playing any other power five school. One and done, forever.

We don't need them and why should our fans do them the favor of setting a single game attendance and season ticket selling records. Our fans can spend their money elsewhere and be treated far better and not have administrators tell their fans to behave. Let Pitt schedule the likes of Gardner Webb and Fisher Price and good luck getting 30,000 troglodytes to show up at Heinz Field and selling that vapid atmosphere to recruits.

They benefit from Penn State, not the other way around. Plus many of them are just obnoxious. Let them wallow in anonymity and mediocrity forever.
I don't think either of your programs "need" each other. But nothing beats a rivalry game, and outside of Pitt who is PSU's rival? Embrace the series and have fun with it. JMO...

Reactions: JSSTartan
God we need to beat these guys. We get a win tomorrow and Pitt is in deep trouble. They start off 1-3 with their only win over 1-AA, Narducci will never be able to show his face in public again. He looks like an all-mouth smacked ass.

It's such a fine line. You need to fire up the guys and get them playing on the edge. At the same time you need cool-headed, dispassionate logical preparation. Win or lose we still have 10 games to play. You don't want to empty the magazine on a non league game in week 2. But make no mistake - CJF, despite the suave exterior, has had just about all he wants of being chumped.

There is no benefit to playing these goofs. Especially for four long years. No upside at all. Think of it as Fester's going away present.

I don't think either of your programs "need" each other. But nothing beats a rivalry game, and outside of Pitt who is PSU's rival? Embrace the series and have fun with it. JMO...
Thanks for that insightful snippet

Next time you're looking for some "wisdominess" wrt whether or not UMich should embrace a series with the Fighting EMUers from Yipsilanti.........let us know -and we'll be happy to enlighten you

Reactions: step.eng69

Outside of Pitt, who isn't? If you are on this board week to week, and follow fans from other schools, we are rivals with Rutgers, Temple, Maryland, MSU........:)

I will add that I live in the Pittsburgh area and my wife is a Pitt grad. Neither of us thinks of this game as a rivalry. It was.....once.....but that was long ago. It is currently just a game between Eastern teams. Both teams have moved on. I did not favor resumption of the series. I do not favor any future games.

Why does Penn State need a rival????? Especially one like Pitt???? We haven't played Pitt in 16 years and Penn State is still Penn State. Pitt needs a rival to have visiting fans fill Heinz Field.

Outside of Pitt, who isn't? If you are on this board week to week, and follow fans from other schools, we are rivals with Rutgers, Temple, Maryland, MSU........
Outside of Pitt, who isn't? If you are on this board week to week, and follow fans from other schools, we are rivals with Rutgers, Temple, Maryland, MSU........:)

I will add that I live in the Pittsburgh area and my wife is a Pitt grad. Neither of us thinks of this game as a rivalry. It was.....once.....but that was long ago. It is currently just a game between Eastern teams. Both teams have moved on. I did not favor resumption of the series. I do not favor any future games.
Strange. Maybe I over estimated the importance of the history between your schools. I don't consider any of the teams you mentioned PSU's rival and I doubt many others do. However, I am looking forward to the PSU/Pitt game this weekend.

Why does Penn State need a rival????? Especially one like Pitt???? We haven't played Pitt in 16 years and Penn State is still Penn State. Pitt needs a rival to have visiting fans fill Heinz Field.
Never said you did. But coming from a school that has two, they are a lot of fun. For the many years that MSU sucked it was still a game I looked forward to every year.

Strange. Maybe I over estimated the importance of the history between your schools. I don't consider any of the teams you mentioned PSU's rival and I doubt many others do. However, I am looking forward to the PSU/Pitt game this weekend.
apparently their fans do.

psunrivaled-rotating-16-2.jpg

I am not suggesting we think that way, but fans at those schools do. Right now I don't think we have a true rival in the Army/Navy, or Auburn/Alabama, or USC/UCLA sense. Pitt is just another school on the schedule. Pitt people may feel otherwise, but most Penn State fans I know do not. I would rather beat OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, or MSU, than Pitt. I would rather play Notre Dame, or Alabama, or LSU, or USC, or Texas, rather than Pitt.

Those other teams come HERE and claim they're our rivals.

I'm trying to reserve judgement. Because I can't fathom that a small majority of pricks (Pitt fans who post on their site) represent the whole. I'm not going to the game but if I was 1) I'd be sure to stay in a pack of my PSU buddies and 2) I'd still watch my back. Because personally the first Pitt fan to disrespect me when it comes to what that monster did I would LOSE IT on them! In a heartbeat.

I don't care what you opinion is pertaining to Coach Paterno and the Sandusky situation. The fact that they are selling and buying shirts saying "Joe Knew" is a total lack of class directed at our Univsersity as a whole. It's just as bad as, if not worse, then what that Rutgers fan did (flag at his tailgate) when we played them. At least with Rutgers it was only one (1) individual.

Honestly, sometimes Pitt fans are so bad that I almost feel they love... L!O!V!E!... the fact that what this monster did was tied to Penn State and that their only regret is that there weren't more victims.

No matter what the outcome, I'll be interested in hearing from those of you who did go to the game and how you were treated. Either way... be careful.

Reactions: Howie'81
God we need to beat these guys. We get a win tomorrow and Pitt is in deep trouble. They start off 1-3 with their only win over 1-AA, Narducci will never be able to show his face in public again. He looks like an all-mouth smacked ass.

It's such a fine line. You need to fire up the guys and get them playing on the edge. At the same time you need cool-headed, dispassionate logical preparation. Win or lose we still have 10 games to play. You don't want to empty the magazine on a non league game in week 2. But make no mistake - CJF, despite the suave exterior, has had just about all he wants of being chumped.

There is no benefit to playing these goofs. Especially for four long years. No upside at all. Think of it as Fester's going away present.

I am curious. What "benefit" are you looking for?

This "rivalry" ended years ago. Never made sense to me, even as a native of Western Pa. what was in this game for PSU. Not to rail on Pitt, or their conference, but it is always much better for PSU to play a genuine marquis OOC game, home and away. Rotate who they are, play good teams from the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12 etc. hell, even from the ACC if its Clemson or FSU. This reminds me in some ways of the forced WVU-Marshall series that finally went away when their new President said why bother.....only benefits the Herd. I think it is wise to honor the past, but not wise to try and resurrect it. I'm actually glad my weekend plans preclude me from seeing the game.

Reactions: doctornick
We don't want to play Pitt because we fear it might expose us as not that superior. With the parity in college football nowadays, teams like Pitt can now beat very good teams ala Pitt beating #1 ranked wvu at the end of the season in like 2007 or something.

It is no win for us because if Pitt beats us they gain a lot. If we win, we gain nothing because we have already created this idea that we are more superior and most buy it.

I am curious. What "benefit" are you looking for?
Speaking for myself, there are benefits to playing an Alabama, or a Notre Dame, or a Florida State. The games draw far more national attention and are played in better time slots. Recruits from across the country are more focused on the game. Winning means much more in terms of prestige. Playing Pitt is akin to playing Boston College, or Syracuse. Outside the east, few care. Hell, in the east, few care.

Reactions: doctornick
This "rivalry" ended years ago. Never made sense to me, even as a native of Western Pa. what was in this game for PSU. Not to rail on Pitt, or their conference, but it is always much better for PSU to play a genuine marquis OOC game, home and away. Rotate who they are, play good teams from the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12 etc. hell, even from the ACC if its Clemson or FSU. This reminds me in some ways of the forced WVU-Marshall series that finally went away when their new President said why bother.....only benefits the Herd. I think it is wise to honor the past, but not wise to try and resurrect it. I'm actually glad my weekend plans preclude me from seeing the game.

Don't know about that. No other non-conference school dominates discussion on this board more than Pitt, and we have not played them in 1.5 decades.

Let's not forget that back in 2012, Pitt fans cared little about the well being of PA when they were clamoring for the death penalty for PSU. There are also tons of obnoxious Pitt fans who feigned concern for Sandusky's victims, all the while acting gleeful about their new trash talking opportunities.

PSU gains little from this game, and Pitt gains everything. They get a marquee game on their schedule, a nationally televised game, record season ticket sales, and a major opportunity with recruits. What does PSU get? Maybe a 10K boost in attendance for a single game. A win may help with a handful of WPIAL recruits, and that's about it. PSU has marquee games every year with OSU, Michigan and MSU.

I would love to have a rivalry but with the classlessness behavior from Pitt fans, I'd rather have a different one. Their behavior has gone far beyond a fun little rivalry over a game and devolved into something else. No thanks.

Speaking for myself, there are benefits to playing an Alabama, or a Notre Dame, or a Florida State. The games draw far more national attention and are played in better time slots. Recruits from across the country are more focused on the game. Winning means much more in terms of prestige. Playing Pitt is akin to playing Boston College, or Syracuse. Outside the east, few care. Hell, in the east, few care.

Do you think PSU wants out of conference games with those kinds of teams. We tried Alabama and they thumped us twice and would do it again. Is that the kind of exposure you want? I think the Pitt game comes at the right time for this program that is hopefully on the rise. It will be competitive and will attract attention because at one time it was one of the best rivalry games in all of college football.

Don't know about that. No other non-conference school dominates discussion on this board more than Pitt, and we have not played them in 1.5 decades.
I get the point on the message board content......but what really makes a rivalry a rivalry. If we (and we is PSU) are serious about resurrecting this as such then the game needs to be a permanent fixture on the schedule. Personally, I'd rather play a marquis program, even we do get our butts beat now and then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT