ADVERTISEMENT

It's really hard to win an NCAA title

Q is the only one that cael really had to coach up i guess

further proof that Cael only recruits top seeded kids and doesnt have to work hard to develop them
This is not exactly an example of coaching up, but of the difference Cael made in winning a championship. Remember Molinaro's senior year? He was the top seed, but got hurt in the quarters or semifinals and was strongly thinking about forfeiting out. He was really bummed out. He did end up wrestling and winning in the finals and totally credits Cael for tough-talking him into the right attitude. Cael knew exactly what the Hulk needed. He certainly is a lot more than a good recruiter!

Reactions: danoftw
Researched...because I thought it might be interesting;
-- Statistically speaking, the Big Ten gets the same number of #1 and #2 seeds
-- It tapers off from there, such that the number of 6, 7, and 8 seeds are about half of the #1 or #2 seeds
-- About 60%+ of ALL #1 seeds recently have been Big Ten wrestlers
-- About 35% of all seeded wrestlers come from the B1G
Have you considered selling access to your database?

This is such a great thread!

I feel like I learned something from reading through all the comments!

Now if I could just turn the $0.87 in my pocket in billions by reading forum comments ...

love these stats. good work fellas.

who was the 1 seed that dnp'd?
Greg Jones? Just a guess (might not fit the time frame but i am pretty sure it happened to him the year he lost his first match as a #1 seed)

More facts (since & including 1979):

-- The closest to perfection (all 10 #1 seeds winning) were years 1979 and 1988 when seven #1 seeds won and three #1 seeds came in 2nd.
-- The closest to perfection (all 10 #1 seeds winning) over the past 10 years were 2012 (seven #1's won, two #1's came in 2nd, one #1 came in 4th) and 2013 (five #1's won, and five #1's came in 2nd) (note: the math I used show these years tied)
-- The highest ever (#1's winning) is seven (7). Happened ten times since 1979.
-- The lowest ever (#1's winning) is two (1981), followed by three (1982, 2014, 2021)
-- During the years 1979-2021, seven individuals seeded below #8 have won championships. Three of those happened at the last 10 NCAA Championships.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT