ADVERTISEMENT

It's just preseason, but

EPC FAN

Jun 4, 2001
The Eagles are leading the Ravens, 30-0 in the third quarter.

Last edited:
The 1978 Tampa Buccaneers say hello.

3-1 in the preseason and had all the fans excited.

5-11 in the regular season.

Still love those old Buccaneers uniforms. Was there better sports art work than the Buccaneer on the helmet?

Still love those old Buccaneers uniforms. Was there better sports art work than the Buccaneer on the helmet?

Media: what do you think about your team's execution?
McKay: I'm all for it.

Was that the year a media member asked the Tampa Bay coach in a post game press conference after another loss what he thought of his team's execution and he replied 'I'm all for it'? ;)

Edit- EPC Fan beat me to it. ;)

Where will Chip be coaching in 3 years? SEC? Maybe Nebraska? Would be go to a non-power 5 conference?

No idea- for all I know he will still be at Philly. However, I expect the Miami job to open after this year. Could you imagine him and his uptempo style at Miami with all that south Florida talent after a few years?

How about the 2008 Lions? 4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 in the regular season.

How about the 2008 Lions? 4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 in the regular season.

Yep. Also, IIRC the years the Redskins won super bowls they were often 0-4 in preseason.

No idea- for all I know he will still be at Philly. However, I expect the Miami job to open after this year. Could you imagine him and his uptempo style at Miami with all that south Florida talent after a few years?
He'd have his lineman dropping like flies in the Florida heat running that tempo.

He'd have his lineman dropping like flies in the Florida heat running that tempo.

His team would be much better prepared/ adjusted to it than any visiting team down there. Plus, he could pull an LSU and just play night games. :)

The Eagles are leading the Ravens, 30-0 in the third quarter.
The Eagles are going to be very good this season. They're under the radar due to the Cowboys' popularity, but I'll say it now, they win the NFC East and make noise in the playoffs.

Chip's no dummie. He has a plan and will look damned smart in a couple years.

Reactions: bmw199
The Eagles are going to be very good this season. They're under the radar due to the Cowboys' popularity, but I'll say it now, they win the NFC East and make noise in the playoffs.

I'm not his biggest fan and yeah, it's pre-season, but they aren't just playing, they're already firing on most of the 8 cylinders. i would not bet against this bunch.. seem to have that added something and i'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

for the record, seattle went 4-0 in preseason in 2013... turned out pretty well for them.

yeah yeah, this team ain't seattle... but...

The Eagles are one bad drop back (no hit even needed) away from having their starting QB be either Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, or Tim Tebow. And that's just for starters. As for them being under the radar, I'd have to completely disagree given that they have been one of the most talked about NFL teams this off-season. As for Kelly, I'm of the opinion that he isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is and hubris is being mistaken for intelligence.

The Eagles are one bad drop back (no hit even needed) away from having their starting QB be either Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, or Tim Tebow. And that's just for starters. As for them being under the radar, I'd have to completely disagree given that they have been one of the most talked about NFL teams this off-season. As for Kelly, I'm of the opinion that he isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is and hubris is being mistaken for intelligence.
^^^^This^^^^

Or a Terrell Suggs cheap shot.

If I was on the OL, I demolish Suggs that next play - nice high low or club him in the head.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
That's a silly comment about one bad drop back...you could make a similar comment about pretty much every team in the NFL.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Or a Terrell Suggs cheap shot.

If I was on the OL, I demolish Suggs that next play - nice high low or club him in the head.

i watched replay enough... the ball was long in the hands of the RB and it was in the open, not obscured from sugg's vision (as he'd like folks to imagine). but suggs wasn't looking to tackle the ball carrier.. he was zeroed in on SB's lower legs. considering it was suggs, hardly a surprise. good player, but a total pos.

regardless of that one play, this is going to happen plenty during the season. SB is going to get clocked and you can bet there will targeting by some... so eagle fans can only hold their collective breath and watch it play out. you take a guy with bad wheels, you live with that fear. one knee injury in a career happens.. 2 in short order? not good.

i watched replay enough... the ball was long in the hands of the RB and it was in the open, not obscured from sugg's vision (as he'd like folks to imagine). but suggs wasn't looking to tackle the ball carrier.. he was zeroed in on SB's lower legs. considering it was suggs, hardly a surprise. good player, but a total pos.

regardless of that one play, this is going to happen plenty during the season. SB is going to get clocked and you can bet there will targeting by some... so eagle fans can only hold their collective breath and watch it play out. you take a guy with bad wheels, you live with that fear. one knee injury in a career happens.. 2 in short order? not good.
Why are the Eagles running the read option with a QB who has had two surgeries on his knees in the first place?

That's a silly comment about one bad drop back...you could make a similar comment about pretty much every team in the NFL.

Pretty true. Have the steelers on now. If Ben gets injured the Steelers are stuck with Landry Jones and a dismal season.

Why are the Eagles running the read option with a QB who has had two surgeries on his knees in the first place?

it's a fair point.. but if that is someone's idea of a read-option play.. please. the play was wide open, the handoff was plain as day. SB made zero effort to do anything BUT hand it off. and suggs was far enough away when the hand-off occurred that he had to see it... were he even bothering to look for who had the ball. he was dialed in on bradford. period.

should we be running that play? no. doesn't change anything. suggs knew who had the ball. he didn't care.. he just saw this as an oppty to go after the QB's knees.

it's a fair point.. but if that is someone's idea of a read-option play.. please. the play was wide open, the handoff was plain as day. SB made zero effort to do anything BUT hand it off. and suggs was far enough away when the hand-off occurred that he had to see it... were he even bothering to look for who had the ball. he was dialed in on bradford. period.

should we be running that play? no. doesn't change anything. suggs knew who had the ball. he didn't care.. he just saw this as an oppty to go after the QB's knees.
I hate to see anyone on any team get hurt, but it DOES change things. An NFL QB has all kinds of protection in the pocket and not as much on read options. People on here are acting like Suggs is the only guy who makes plays like this in the league and that no Eagle ever "dialed in" any player on another team. Some teams aren't even playing their starting QB in preseason games yet and Kelly calls this type of play for oft injured Bradford. This is the big boys' league and stuff like this is going to happen.

I hate to see anyone on any team get hurt, but it DOES change things. An NFL QB has all kinds of protection in the pocket and not as much on read options. People on here are acting like Suggs is the only guy who makes plays like this in the league and that no Eagle ever "dialed in" any player on another team. Some teams aren't even playing their starting QB in preseason games yet and Kelly calls this type of play for oft injured Bradford. This is the big boys' league and stuff like this is going to happen.

I agree with you. The thing is that suggs has a deserved reputation for this kind of thing and the eagles really have no choice but to play bradford and try to get him ready. and while minimizing risk is a good plan, he's going to get shellacked early and often during the season... this was just a warmup. i highly doubt he makes it thru the season.

How many other teams have a starting QB who has torn his ACL twice and missed nearly 2 straight full seasons because of it? (Nevermind a high ankle sprain that impacted his 2nd season.) Further factor in that with both ACL tears, Bradford wasn't tackled hard, with the first being an awkward run out of bounds and the second after barely being touched by a defender. I daresay that "pretty much every team in the NFL" doesn't have a starting QB with that same injury history.

Pretty true. Have the steelers on now. If Ben gets injured the Steelers are stuck with Landry Jones and a dismal season.

Except we're not talking about how any team that loses their starting QB is in trouble - of course that's the case. What we're talking about is how injury prone Bradford is. Comparing Bradford to Roethlisberger in that regard is apples to oranges.

Except we're not talking about how any team that loses their starting QB is in trouble - of course that's the case. What we're talking about is how injury prone Bradford is. Comparing Bradford to Roethlisberger in that regard is apples to oranges.

Talking about injury history- true. However, it just takes 1 hit or awkward roll up of Roethlisberger's ankles and the result is the same. ;)

Talking about injury history- true. However, it just takes 1 hit or awkward roll up of Roethlisberger's ankles and the result is the same. ;)

Has Roethlisberger ever had a serious injury? I'm not a fan of his, but I've seen him take plenty of hard hits and get right back up. I think there will be a huge difference with how Steelers fans will watch Roethlisberger take a hit and how Eagles fans will watch Bradford take a hit (or trip, or a run out of bounds, or the wind blowing hard, etc.). Some players are just injury prone, and Bradford has proven to be one of those players. Putting all your eggs in the basket of a player like that is risky to say the least.

It gives the QB the option to hand off or pass. He is rarely expected to run.
And it's a zone - read offense. The read - option is a specific play

Last edited:
Print those Super Bowl tickets, baby. Putting stock in preseason games is Fools' Gold.
I said it was only preseason. I actually thought Stiller fans would like Balmore getting their ass kicked. Nobody said anything about the Super Bowl.

Listened to the Philly sports talk stations on the ride into work today. They're giddy with optimism. I would temper that sentiment until a regular season game. The Eagles O-line was blowing open holes against the Ravens. I have a feeling things would be different if it were October.

Listened to the Philly sports talk stations on the ride into work today. They're giddy with optimism. I would temper that sentiment until a regular season game. The Eagles O-line was blowing open holes against the Ravens. I have a feeling things would be different if it were October.
That's why I don't listen to them much. It's over the top positive or negative. There is no balance.

ADVERTISEMENT