ADVERTISEMENT

Its HERE...Its Nationals Week ....LFG!!!!!!!

Yes. Still available. From your handle, I’m guessing that you are in Tennessee. If so, I’m headed up to Detroit on Tuesday afternoon out of Bristol,TN area and am offering a ride along with the tix. Let me know.
Used to be in TN. Now in PA. If we do this, we'll need to meet. Send me an email, please.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnstownsteel
Anyone else flying out of State College on Wednesday afternoon? Maybe we could share a ride from the airport to downtown Detroit.

Well done! I had two buds who were unable to overcome the objections of their wives and now I’m left holding a bag with two extra tickets. Apparently fortitude is in short supply outside of MD. Anyway, if any readers are interested in some cheap tix in the PSU section (227 row 4) …. let me know. I told my garden party loving buddies that I would attempt to ameliorate their financial commitment.
I may be able to be up there for Friday and Sat, just me. what is the cost?

Used to be in TN. Now in PA. If we do this, we'll need to meet. Send me an email, please,
i-wanna-party-with-you-cowboy.jpg

Last edited:
@backdrft76, do me a favor and delete my email address from your message. And, if you want to get together for a beer, sounds good. But, write my email address down before you delete it. 🤣

I will be driving to Detroit Wednesday, anyone have good food/drink recommendations??
We were in Michigan in October for 10d, began/ended in metro Detroit.

General recommendations:
- Dearborn has the best Arabic food in the country, and with several ethnic varieties that are hard to find anywhere else in the US. It's only 15-20 min from downtown. Highly recommended for anyone with a car, whether driving in or renting at the airport.
- For your Arabic food, Lebanese and "Middle Eastern" (almost always Lebanese) should be your fall-back plan -- you can get these anywhere.
- Get "Detroit Style Pizza" once. It's not east coast pizza, also not that Chicago monstrosity. Not bad if one can put away east coast pizza snobbery for one meal.
- I wonder what the Greektown section of downtown is known for ...

In Dearborn:
- Sheeba (Yemeni, downtown Dearborn) -- excellent food, best we meal had in 10d in Michigan; palacial restaurant with huge parking lot in the back
- Al Chabab (Syrian, East Dearbornistan) -- really good, get the cherry kabab; hole in the wall with street parking, easy to miss without GPS (yellow sign not easy to read from street)

We didn't eat in the city (just didn't turn out that way), but here were the places we had highlighted:
- Leila (Lebanese, downtown)
- Frita Batidos (Cuban/burgers, downtown)
- Vicente (Cuban, downtown)
- Brass Rail (pizza, downtown)
- Mike's Kabob Grille (Lebanese diner, downtown)
- Detroiter Bar (burgers, Greektown)
- Golden Fleece (Greek, Greektown)
- Niki's Greektown Pizza
- Old Shillelagh (Irish pub, Greektown)
- Pie Sci Pizza (Midtown, need car)
- Takoi (Thai, Corktown -- SW of downtown, need car)
- El Barzon (upscale Mex, Mexicantown -- SW of downtown, need car)

The guides will tell you to go to Slows BBQ (Corktown). We ate there on a previous trip. I'd skip it -- it's OK but seriously overrated hipster food. You can get just as good anywhere else in the country.

was just listening to that initiate contatct show those 2 iowa fans talking the NCAA tourney talk about how iowa got screwed they didnt even know any other wrestlers except iowa and could even prononce and damn names correctly!!

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
was just listening to that initiate contatct show those 2 iowa fans talking the NCAA tourney talk about how iowa got screwed they didnt even know any other wrestlers except iowa and could even prononce and damn names correctly!!
Que?

I will be driving to Detroit Wednesday, anyone have good food/drink recommendations??
Don't leave Detroit without getting a chicken shawarma at Bucharest Grill.
Mudgies Deli for lunch/day drinking/
Buddy's or Loui's for Detroit pizza. Supino's for thin crust.
Standby for great cocktails and decent food.
Brass Rail is a cool spot not far from LCA.
I'll think a little more

A lot of bars in Detroit will be a zoo Thursday, due to St Pat Day

There is a lot of unintended irony in this post. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
My wife and I celebrate the conceiving of our children this weekend. It happens to line up with the 2016 and 2019 National Championships. She wanted to name our first son Nico.

Just to clarify for the curious, you celebrate the 'conceiving', or birth of your children?

I am getting to the age that just the thought or distant memory of conception is worthy of celebrating.

Reactions: danoftw
Don't leave Detroit without getting a chicken shawarma at Bucharest Grill.
Mudgies Deli for lunch/day drinking/
Buddy's or Loui's for Detroit pizza. Supino's for thin crust.
Standby for great cocktails and decent food.
Brass Rail is a cool spot not far from LCA.
I'll think a little more

A lot of bars in Detroit will be a zoo Thursday, due to St Pat Day
Good catch on Buddy's -- I missed it in my city listings because we ate at the Dearborn branch.

It was good. Downtown location recommended.

A caution: if anyone suggests the original Buddy's on 6 Mile, smack them. Repeatedly. The restaurant is probably good. The area resembles 1990s Mogadishu, only blighted and dangerous.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
Just to clarify for the curious, you celebrate the 'conceiving', or birth of your children?

I am getting to the age that just the thought or distant memory of conception is worthy of celebrating.

Conceiving. Usually around 11:30/11:45 on Saturday night. This is not a joke. My wife’s brother was one of my coaches.
We should have 3 kids but the drive back from Cleveland in 2018 took too long as she was asleep by the time I got home. Plus, I think I stayed up most of the night trying to understand how Bo did it. I still can’t understand.

Last edited:
Conceiving. Usually around 11:30/11:45 on Saturday night. This is not a joke. My wife’s brother was one of my coaches.
We should have 3 kids but the drive back from Cleveland in 2018 took too long as she was asleep by the time I got home. Plus, I think I stayed up most of the night trying to understand how Bo did it. I still can’t understand.
Simple. He grabbed the chin.

Reactions: Tjsch1
Looks like weather is close to 70 when I get in on Thursday and then cold rain and snow the next two days.
Planning on walking the ~1 mile from hotel to LCA for each session. Weather issues should make that fun.

So, your brother-in-law coached you right through that, huh? Awkward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT