ADVERTISEMENT

It's become obvious that Franklin's hallmark is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
This is the fifth loss in a row where Penn State has blown a fourth quarter lead through a combination of offensive ineffectiveness and defensive collapse. And App State was nearly the same thing.

I like the coach and his philosophy, but these deficiencies must be addressed to get to the next level.

I knew we were in deep trouble when we ran a running play on our first opportunity after getting the three point lead. How can you not have a game plan emphasizing the pass against one of the worst pass defenses in Division 1?

This is the fifth loss in a row where Penn State has blown a fourth quarter lead through a combination of offensive ineffectiveness and defensive collapse. And App State was nearly the same thing.

I like the coach and his philosophy, but these deficiencies must be addressed to get to the next level.

I knew we were in deep trouble when we ran a running play on our first opportunity after getting the three point lead. How can you not have a game plan emphasizing the pass against one of the worst pass defenses in Division 1?

Snatch? There’s a word I haven’t heard in awhile.

+1,000,000

Let's just see how pyscho he is this coming week!!!

This is frustrating to see the team lose games like this...games where it seems we had multiple chances to put the game away. Dropped interceptions, not able to run clock with a power running game, defense looking spent...we have problems finishing games.

Well, in his defense, it's not him that is dropping passes or interceptions or missing tackles.

IN.COMING. :eek:

This has been going on for three years now. This is a Franklin problem. He is the common denominator in all of the collapses. The players have changed over the last three years.

Well, in his defense, it's not him that is dropping passes or interceptions or missing tackles.

IN.COMING. :eek:

There’s an issue with the way we lose these games, but if AO catches that INT (or Trace stays in bounds, or Windsor or Thorpe don’t get those penalties, etc.) then we’re seeing a lot of threads today about how we’ve become favorites to go to the CFP.

Franklin has gotten us this close, he’s gotta learn some things no doubt but I’m nowhere near giving up on him.

I really don’t understand this view that it would be better to get blown out than lose close games. It would seem logical that losing to OSU by one point means we are closer to their level then when we were losing 63-14.

I also count 7 games in his PSU career where he’s come back and won in the 4th quarter. There’s also games where he’s held on in the 4th quarter to win. But only look at one side, it makes your argument better.

I also count 7 games in his PSU career where he’s come back and won in the 4th quarter. There’s also games where he’s held on in the 4th quarter to win. But only look at one side, it makes your argument better.
So you’re telling me that coaches sometimes come from behind to win, sometimes they hold onto a lead, and sometimes the other team comes back to win? Definitely sounds like a James Franklin problem! o_O

I hate watching PSU lose close games as much as anyone on this board, but let’s be analytical about this for a second. In the past 3 seasons, here are our games that were decided by one score.

2016, Pitt 39-42, L

2016, Temple, 24-27, W

2016, Minnesota, 29-26, W

2016, Ohio State, 24-21, W

2016, Wisconsin, 38-31, W

2016, USC, 49-52, L

2017, Iowa, 21-19, W

2017, Ohio State, 38-39, L

2017, Michigan State, 24-27, L

2017, Washington, 25-28, W

2018, App St, 45-38, W

2018, Ohio St, 26-27, L

2018, Michigan St, 17-21, L

Our overall record in one score games is 7 wins and 6 losses. That’s not great, but that’s also not horrible. Of the six losses, I would say that three of them were to teams (Pitt, MSU, MSU) that we were better than, but when you let games come down the wire anything can happen. I don’t know of any easy way to find these stats, but I’d love to see the nationwide records of teams in one score games. I’m guessing that the best teams hover around 75%, but that’s just my gut (I’d love to see the stats if someone knows how to find them without a lot of work).

Reactions: PSUSignore
This has been going on for three years now. This is a Franklin problem. He is the common denominator in all of the collapses. The players have changed over the last three years.

Franklin isnt the only common denominator

Franklin isnt the only common denominator

Pry has been there, too. However, the buck stops with Franklin. He is ultimately responsible for his coordinators so this is on him. Pry is not off the hook, either but this is on Franklin.

I hate watching PSU lose close games as much as anyone on this board, but let’s be analytical about this for a second. In the past 3 seasons, here are our games that were decided by one score.

2016, Pitt 39-42, L

2016, Temple, 24-27, W

2016, Minnesota, 29-26, W

2016, Ohio State, 24-21, W

2016, Wisconsin, 38-31, W

2016, USC, 49-52, L

2017, Iowa, 21-19, W

2017, Ohio State, 38-39, L

2017, Michigan State, 24-27, L

2017, Washington, 25-28, W

2018, App St, 45-38, W

2018, Ohio St, 26-27, L

2018, Michigan St, 17-21, L

Our overall record in one score games is 7 wins and 6 losses. That’s not great, but that’s also not horrible. Of the six losses, I would say that three of them were to teams (Pitt, MSU, MSU) that we were better than, but when you let games come down the wire anything can happen. I don’t know of any easy way to find these stats, but I’d love to see the nationwide records of teams in one score games. I’m guessing that the best teams hover around 75%, but that’s just my gut (I’d love to see the stats if someone knows how to find them without a lot of work).
To follow up on this, here are similar data that I pulled (small sample size focusing on top 10 teams, plus Michigan).

Basically, OSU and Clemson are outliers. PSU performs better in one scores games than Michigan and similar to Oklahoma.

In 2016, Alabama was 1-1 in one score games.

In 2017, Alabama was 1-0 in one score games.

In 2018, Alabama is 0-0 in one score games.

In 2016, Clemson was 6-1 in one score games.

In 2017, Clemson was 2-1 in one score games.

In 2017, Clemson is 2-0 in one score games.

In 2016, Oklahoma was 1-1 in one score games.

In 2017, Oklahoma was 2-2 in one score games.

In 2018, Oklahoma is 1-1 in one score games.

In 2016, UGA was 5-3 in one score games (holy crap, 8 of their games were decided by one score!)

In 2017, UGA was 2-1 in one score games

In 2017, UGA is 0-0 in one score games.

In 2016, OSU was 4-1 in one score games.

In 2017, OSU was 2-0 in one score games.

In 2018, OSU is 1-0 in one score games.

In 2016, Michigan was 1-3 in one score games.

In 2017, Michigan was 1-2 in one score games.

In 2018, Michigan is 1-0 in one score games.

So you’re telling me that coaches sometimes come from behind to win, sometimes they hold onto a lead, and sometimes the other team comes back to win? Definitely sounds like a James Franklin problem! o_O
Don’t confuse the mob with rational thought. ALL coaches “lose” games. The good ones win more than they lose though.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT