ADVERTISEMENT

It has now been three years in a row that the B1G champ has been punked by the CFP.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^
Been beating this drum for years.

6 team playoff
P5 champs + 1, either (ND, other conference champ such as UCF, WMU, or, if necessary, 2nd P5 team)

1&2 get a bye
5-6 play at home field of 3-4
From there, the "final 4" is played the same as it is today.

No more debates about the SEC runner-up or the B1G/Big 12 champ.
Let's state that the goal is to determine the BEST team in college football, not the Top 4 (or 6)
It's up to the conferences to determine their champ. If the play on the field doesn't do that, too bad...fix it and call us next year.

The only issue(long term) with this is the P5 designation. Maybe the structure needs to be the 5 highest ranked conference champs (regardless of conference).
This year, that would put ND and UCF in over Washington and no one is complaining that the PAC12 should be in.
The biggest problem right now is that they are looking for the "BEST" team. If that is what you are looking for you open yourself up for the "Eye Test."

I want the champs to play it out on the field. Sometimes the "best" team loses and that is ok. The Patriots went undefeated and lost in the Super Bowl to the Giants even though they were likely the better team. It happens all the time with playoffs.

The biggest problem right now is that they are looking for the "BEST" team. If that is what you are looking for you open yourself up for the "Eye Test."

I want the champs to play it out on the field. Sometimes the "best" team loses and that is ok. The Patriots went undefeated and lost in the Super Bowl to the Giants even though they were likely the better team. It happens all the time with playoffs.
The #1 seed has yet to win a MNC in the current CFP format.

Reactions: Howie'81
Conceptual fine..... until you get to the hurdle of determining #1 and #2 - who get a "bye".... and who gets "home field" among 3, 4, 5, 6.

Who’s gonna’ do that? A committee? o_O

Why would one clean up a stinking pile of wet dog shit.... and leave behind a moldy pile of dog shit? o_O

There is no way to do away with polls and voting as a means to judge 100+ teams in disparate conferences norm. But as smart as you are, I'm sure you understand that. Select individuals voting will always have some component.

Perhaps his unwillingness to stump on behalf of the OSU and the B1G will be the unifying event for all of the President's of the B1G member schools to boot Jimmy.

What am I typing? It will never happen. We're talking about a group of senior administrative University pinheads unifying to make a difficult and confrontational decision to shape the future of their own conference.

You nailed that one. The Dinosaur conference ..... is run by fossils.

Is that the goal?
That’s not mine.

I was operating under the assumption that the goal was a LEGITIMATE SETTLED-ON-THE-FIELD PLAYOFF TO A CHAMPIONSHIP.
If that isn’t the goal? Then I am both mistaken and uninterested.

If that is the goal, it is actually quite easy to accomplish (assuming the group of participants at issue is the group of squads competing as P5 football competitors - and to a lesser degree, non-P5 FBS squads)

And I most certainly am quite “smart enough” to know that.

I am also quite “smart enough” to know that all of the circle-jerking over a system that - by definition - precludes that possibility, is about the most idiotic waste of time - and demonstration of stupidity - in any venue known to man (it’s quite “intellectually pathetic”, actually)

So...... there’s that :)

Well, one of us is living in reality and suggesting what is possible and would be a vast improvement, and one of us puts quotation marks around terms they are typing for the first time. So...there's that

Yep. My easy fix for next year, before adding anymore teams is you have to be in a conf. and win your conf. game to get in.
Notre Dame sat back with their feet up drinking a beer while watching Bama and Georgia slug it out.
The ACC title game should have been ND/Clemson not the semi-final game.
My issue isn't with OK getting in, its ND getting in.

Big Ten Title game could have also been OSU vs ND if the Irish ever got over themselves and joined a league... which should be the Big Ten, which just happens to be full of teams they face the most.

Notre%2BDame%2Brecords%2Bvs%2Bcommon%2Bopponnents.png

Reactions: BBrown
Realign to 8 conferences. Conference champions make the playoff. No lucky losers aka at large or wild card selections. Every conference game then is part of the playoff from day one. Use rankings for seeding. The champion is decided on the field. What a bizarre concept.

Reactions: ralphster
Franklin seems to be in the only one in the conference advocating for changing the divisions and it boggles my mind their are not more. Its ridiculous and it ruins the conference having such imbalance in the divisions.

Seems Franklin is the only one in the BIG with balls to say anything about ANYTHING...

Reactions: ram2020
One thing extra to address. There are 5 P5 conferences. They all should get in, not just 4 of them.

Yep, remove the "EYE TEST"... seems to work just fine in the NFL, am I missing something? Also, the history of the program should have zero effect on whether a team makes it to the playoff or not. Let them hash it out on the field and let the best team win.

Yet again, all power 5 conference winners get in, followed by the highest ranked group of 5, then 2 at large highest ranked teams. Regardless, something needs to change. Get rid of the human aspect and all the bias that goes with it... Not a Georgia fan, but I believe they'd have just as good of a chance to win it all as anyone.

Oh yeah, and get Notre Dame out of the playoff! If you aren't in a conference, you don't deserve to even sniff a shot. It's a joke that they got to sit back and chill yet get ranked above a team that had to play an extra game. Notre Dame could possibly have been an "At Large" team this year, but not ranked in the top 4. Just my opinion...

Conceptual fine..... until you get to the hurdle of determining #1 and #2 - who get a "bye".... and who gets "home field" among 3, 4, 5, 6.

Who’s gonna’ do that? A committee? o_O

Why would one clean up a stinking pile of wet dog shit.... and leave behind a moldy pile of dog shit? o_O

I guess that there are plenty of good rating systems out there that they could average out, better than the dreaded "eye test" and the human factor...

B1G should run a north-south division lineup with wiscy, UM, MSU in the north and PSU and OSU in the south to balance things out.

Reactions: ralphster
Good for you.

Congratulations.

Good luck on implementing your plans...... whatever they may be. Truly.
See ya’ in the funny papers.

Oh norm. As they say in the south, "bless your heart."
As this is just an internet message board and I am simply a fan of one CFB team, I won't be implementing anything. As is done on internet message boards, I'm merely discussing a topic, using logic, and pointing out the failed logic of ideas that have no possible chance be functional or ever be implemented. I do appreciate you conferring such great power to me however.

ADVERTISEMENT