ADVERTISEMENT

It has now been three years in a row that the B1G champ has been punked by the CFP.

My honest opinion: Ohio state should have gotten the 4th spot over Oklahoma.

That being said, they're not in because they got drubbed at Purdue. I'm not sure anyone in the conference had much control over this.
Notre Dame, hagging independent, really screws up this conference champs thing.

Delaney's solution: "Don't let my Darling Duo get upset in-conference again." Solved.

Notre Dame, hagging independent, really screws up this conference champs thing.

Yep. My easy fix for next year, before adding anymore teams is you have to be in a conf. and win your conf. game to get in.
Notre Dame sat back with their feet up drinking a beer while watching Bama and Georgia slug it out.
The ACC title game should have been ND/Clemson not the semi-final game.
My issue isn't with OK getting in, its ND getting in.

For how many years will this Delaney inspired-craziness continue?
Perhaps his unwillingness to stump on behalf of the OSU and the B1G will be the unifying event for all of the President's of the B1G member schools to boot Jimmy.

What am I typing? It will never happen. We're talking about a group of senior administrative University pinheads unifying to make a difficult and confrontational decision to shape the future of their own conference.

My honest opinion: Ohio State should have gotten the 4th spot over Oklahoma.

That being said, they're not in because they got drubbed at Purdue. I'm not sure anyone in the conference had much control over this.

well look at what the Big 12 did . . . they realigned into a single conference and brought back a title game, ensuring that IF a Big 12 team in the CFP era were ranked in the top 5/6, they would almost certainly play a ranked team in the Big 12 championship

I don't know if OK is a better team. Their only loss was by 3 pts to Texas, who they then turned around and beat convincingly in the Big 12 Championship

the alignment of the Big Ten stacked 4 ranked teams in the East, and none in the West. How can a committee say OSU won the Big Ten against an unranked opponent, and deserves to get in over OK??

They could start by going back to 8 conference games. 9 conference games means 7 BIG teams will automatically have an extra loss.

How can a committee say OSU won the Big Ten against an unranked opponent, and deserves to get in over OK??

Northwestern is ranked. OU's "quality wins" are no more impressive than OSU's. They split with Texas who lost to Maryland. They beat WVU in one of the most disgusting college football games I've ever Witnessed. They beat Iowa State who scored with under a minute left this past week to take the lead against Drake. Oklahoma has one of the worst defensive efficiency ratings in the country and has struggled with the likes of Army and Kansas.

Now I realize you can say similar things about Ohio State, but they performed better against their SOS than OU did.

Look I'm not defending OSU. They had a bad night and Purdue took advantage. But are we really saying that a team can play 13 games and not have a single bad outing? I'm not buying.

Northwestern is ranked. OU's "quality wins" are no more impressive than OSU's. They split with Texas who lost to Maryland. They beat WVU in one of the most disgusting college football games I've ever Witnessed. They beat Iowa State who scored with under a minute left this past week to take the lead against Drake. Oklahoma has one of the worst defensive efficiency ratings in the country and has struggled with the likes of Army and Kansas.

Now I realize you can say similar things about Ohio State, but they performed better against their SOS than OU did.
Easy to solve this. Take all conference champions. I'll say it again. Let conferences decide how they want to crown their champion. Eye test then goes out the freakin' window where it belongs.

Franklin seems to be in the only one in the conference advocating for changing the divisions and it boggles my mind their are not more. Its ridiculous and it ruins the conference having such imbalance in the divisions.

Look I'm not defending OSU. They had a bad night and Purdue took advantage. But are we really saying that a team can play 13 games and not have a single bad outing? I'm not buying.

I agree with you. I think they're a more complete/deserving team that Oklahoma.

Yep. My easy fix for next year, before adding anymore teams is you have to be in a conf. and win your conf. game to get in.
Notre Dame sat back with their feet up drinking a beer while watching Bama and Georgia slug it out.
The ACC title game should have been ND/Clemson not the semi-final game.
My issue isn't with OK getting in, its ND getting in.

I agree completely, although I don't care if you are in a conference or not. Pick the top 4 conference champs and be done with it. If Notre Dame chooses not to join a conference for money reasons, then they can't win a NC, their choice.

Most likely this year you would have Alabama, Winner of ND/Clemson, OK and OSU.

In this case you essentially add more teams to the playoffs, because the Conf Championships are round one for most teams.

I agree completely, although I don't care if you are in a conference or not. Pick the top 4 conference champs and be done with it. If Notre Dame chooses not to join a conference for money reasons, then they can't win a NC, their choice.

Most likely this year you would have Alabama, Winner of ND/Clemson, OK and OSU.
One thing extra to address. There are 5 P5 conferences. They all should get in, not just 4 of them.

A) How many P5 football conferences are there? (Go ahead.... shout it out. You know the answer.)

B) How many spots are deliberated over - to be include in the "Final Four"? (Honestly, this is not a trick question :) )

C) Which of those numbers - from Part A or Part B - is larger? (I think most folks can get this one right... but sometimes I am not so sure.)

D) Here is the toughie.....
If you have a four pound bag.... how many different ways do you have to try to accomplish the task - and debate over the best method - before you realize 5 pounds of shit don't fit in a 4 pound bag? ……. And that unless you get a bigger bag, what you are left with is a pile of shit on the floor? (Apparently, the answer - at least among Sports Talking Heads and FanBoys - is some number approaching infinity)
Now I know why you are/were a college math instructor...damn you explain those tough problems well!!!

And how do you pick the "top 4" Stan? Pray tell?
How do you pick them now? Highest ranked conf champs...

Only change is the requirement that you won a conf championship. Choose from Ala, OK, OSU, Wash, Clem/ND, UCF, App State....

Franklin seems to be in the only one in the conference advocating for changing the divisions and it boggles my mind their are not more. Its ridiculous and it ruins the conference having such imbalance in the divisions.

Why would any school in the West want realignment?

One thing extra to address. There are 5 P5 conferences. They all should get in, not just 4 of them.
Not opposed to that, but what I (and BBrown) described would require very little change to the current system.

Oh... I see.

Put a bunch of folks in a room, and have them "rank" the teams.... instead of this crappy system now where they "select" the teams.

Geez-o-wiz.... why don't they do that - - - - - that's a great idea!!!
Problem solved!!

:rolleyes:

SMH

Isn't that what they already do?
So whats your solution?

How about a ND rule that says any team in the top 4 after the regular season that isn't in a conference championship game will play the next highest ranked team that is also not in a conference championship game. This would've made ND play Michigan in a rematch rather than getting a bye week.

who DOESN'T like Jimbo?
LastNimbleFireant-max-1mb.gif

Hope it continues until the next time we win the conference. Delany's curse for advocating OSU over his conference champ

Easy to solve this. Take all conference champions. I'll say it again. Let conferences decide how they want to crown their champion. Eye test then goes out the freakin' window where it belongs.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^
Been beating this drum for years.

6 team playoff
P5 champs + 1, either (ND, other conference champ such as UCF, WMU, or, if necessary, 2nd P5 team)

1&2 get a bye
5-6 play at home field of 3-4
From there, the "final 4" is played the same as it is today.

No more debates about the SEC runner-up or the B1G/Big 12 champ.
Let's state that the goal is to determine the BEST team in college football, not the Top 4 (or 6)
It's up to the conferences to determine their champ. If the play on the field doesn't do that, too bad...fix it and call us next year.

The only issue(long term) with this is the P5 designation. Maybe the structure needs to be the 5 highest ranked conference champs (regardless of conference).
This year, that would put ND and UCF in over Washington and no one is complaining that the PAC12 should be in.

Reactions: Howie'81
ADVERTISEMENT