ADVERTISEMENT

It’s finally Friday. Must say it’s been a weird week here...

Anison

Jul 2, 2001
Almost makes me miss the old days when it was MCE/BODE, a handful of disrespectful UM fans and the rest of us. ;)

Seriously though, sorry to see this place become so overrun with trolls in every direction - what’s with the Pitt fans randomly chiming in? And the UM fans coming here to start inane threads? Think I even saw some random Sparties chiming in. Seems our discourse has gotten a lot more disrespectful in recent years - sadly a phenomenon happening all over the virtual and real worlds.

In any event...
I predicted a close UM win in 2016 and was wrong, and a close PSU win last year and was wrong. But hey at least I got the winner right. This year I’m going to say UM wins by 8. Let’s call it 24-16. I see it knotted at 13-13 at the half with UM pulling away in the second half. I think Sanders and McSorley give UM fits running in the first half but UM has made stellar second half defensive adjustments this season (unlike last season). I think UM will make hay with its play action passing game to move the football a little but otherwise don’t see this being like MSU where UM dominates TOP. I do wonder whether Franklin and Rahne can recreate the PSU 17/Notre Dame 18 gameplan of getting UM’s safeties 1-on-1 with a receiver. Metellus and Kinnel have been better than last year in coverage but that’s starting from a pretty low bar. Nonetheless, we saw UM adjust against Wisconsin to disguising zone looks and putting Watson (3rd CB) on the field; and no I’m not saying Hornibrook is anywhere near as good as McSorley.

Here’s to a well played game.

I’ll be out on the golf course bright and early tomorrow. If any of my PSU friends want to drop by for a handshake and a cold one, DM or email me (anison@gmail.com).

Almost makes me miss the old days when it was MCE/BODE, a handful of disrespectful UM fans and the rest of us. ;)

Seriously though, sorry to see this place become so overrun with trolls in every direction - what’s with the Pitt fans randomly chiming in? And the UM fans coming here to start inane threads? Think I even saw some random Sparties chiming in. Seems our discourse has gotten a lot more disrespectful in recent years - sadly a phenomenon happening all over the virtual and real worlds.

In any event...
I predicted a close UM win in 2016 and was wrong, and a close PSU win last year and was wrong. But hey at least I got the winner right. This year I’m going to say UM wins by 8. Let’s call it 24-16. I see it knotted at 13-13 at the half with UM pulling away in the second half. I think Sanders and McSorley give UM fits running in the first half but UM has made stellar second half defensive adjustments this season (unlike last season). I think UM will make hay with its play action passing game to move the football a little but otherwise don’t see this being like MSU where UM dominates TOP. I do wonder whether Franklin and Rahne can recreate the PSU 17/Notre Dame 18 gameplan of getting UM’s safeties 1-on-1 with a receiver. Metellus and Kinnel have been better than last year in coverage but that’s starting from a pretty low bar. Nonetheless, we saw UM adjust against Wisconsin to disguising zone looks and putting Watson (3rd CB) on the field; and no I’m not saying Hornibrook is anywhere near as good as McSorley.

I’ll be out on the golf course bright and early tomorrow. If any of my PSU friends want to drop by for a handshake and a cold one, DM or email me (anison@gmail.com).

Thanks Anison. You are always welcome here. Good to hear from you again this year.

I’ll be out on the golf course bright and early tomorrow.
Hoping to arrive around 11. Meeting up near the corner of Edgewood and Snyder. If you are on the closer portion of the course, I may stop in and say hello. I'll also be looking for 2 tickets for my son and me.

I appreciate your input here, Anison.

OL

Reactions: Anison
Our WRs are lucky if they can get away from CBs - not good on the separation. So unless we’re coming out in 4 and 5 wide, your safeties are safe.

Key to the game will be if PSU’s o-line can protect Trace and when things break down, does Michigan have a spy. IIRC, they had issues with Wimbush’s running game but collapsed Sparty and kept Lewerke hemmed in.

In any event...

You are a good poster and I always enjoy your posts, even if you are a homer!

PSU hasn't matured as a team like UM has. UM has improved every week. PSU continues to make dumb mistakes and we seem to play well/crappy in spurts. The problem with prognosticating this game is you just don't know which PSU team will show up.

PSU has the corners to to stop UM's passing game while using their S to clog up the middle, where we are weak. But the game will be played between PSU's offense and UM's defense; the strength of both teams. If PSU doesn't drop balls and Trace is healthy, we can make a game of it. Looks like the weather will be good so passing shouldn't be a big problem (between wind and rain, PSU's passing game has suffered from the elements).

Also, I've seen teams come off bye weeks and be flat. I wouldn't be shocked if UM is flat.

I expect a good and low scoring game. I see something like 23-20. You've got to give the edge to UM (home game, Trace's injury). But I wouldn't be shocked if PSU wins. A lot depends on the maturity of our team. Can we play a complete game, on the road, against a team that will put a lot of pressure on us?

In any event...

Great post. Should be a fun weekend. I see a close game with Michigan winning something like 24-21. This game is fun at our house divided. Wife is PSU. Looking forward to a great game. Cheers PSU fans

In any event...

Always enjoyed your visits Anison. Hope you stop in during the next 51 weeks of year.

In any event...

I was under the impression that metellus and kinnel were good in coverage but just had a rough outing last year (against one of the best receivers in school history), is that not the case?

In any event...

Sadly it's the world we live in these days Anison

In any event...

Always good to see your posts here. When opposition fans who want to discuss the game stop by it always adds to the board and makes for a good week. Posters like you and WestCoast24 are welcome here anytime (even if you’re both Michigan fans. ;)).

Last edited:
I was under the impression that metellus and kinnel were good in coverage but just had a rough outing last year (against one of the best receivers in school history), is that not the case?
It’s interesting because Pro Football Focus would have told you Metellus was a top 3 safety in the country in coverage last season. Yet what you guys did to him in that game was repeated by OSU, in the bowl game, and early-on against Notre Dame. He’s been *much* better since. Kinnel on the other hand was less heralded for his cover skills but has been solid so far this season.

Hawkins has also played a lot at safety - he’s a more “pure” cover DB than either Metellus of Kinnel. And Watson has played a lot - he’s a fifth year senior corner who has been very good this year at the nickel. I think the key is catching UM in situations where the safeties have to cover WRs for multiple downs - think no-huddle with a guy like Hamler motioning into the slot and/or out of the backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT