ADVERTISEMENT

Is women’s wrestling coming to Happy Valley?

It’s not yet an NCAA Varsity sport, if in fact she said adding a women’s varsity sport. This was one of the difficulties when faced with adding a women’s varsity team to accommodate title IX from Men’s Hockey.
If adding a women’s sport does not need to be varsity, then it could be added and will help the “emerging sport” classification by the NCAA and elevate to varsity…but know that they need 40 teams to do so.
So….add it, but there won’t be any NCAA titles any time soon. I’m ok with that.

Reactions: hlstone
In general, Dear Sandy and the PSU leaders are living in a virtual universe. If you read a book like Grasp (2020) by Sanjay Sarma of MIT you will come to the conclusion that universities are already riding a seismic shift to on-line interactive education. By the time dear Sandy retires, finding funds for all the smaller sports will be a luke warm memory. 10 years from now, if a person wants the on campus “live” experience, ... they’ll need to be rich and go to an elite institution. Football and Basketball are being professionalized. Olympic sports will probably all migrate to regional centers and become disassociated from individual colleges. Yeah - I’d love to see women’s wrestling, but, in my opinion it will simply be another sport that needs to cut post 2025 or so.
What in the crack pipe shit are you smoking? You think online university is going to continue thru what universities? You think those that aspire to change the world thru chemistry, medicine, engineering, etc are going to be able to do that online, let alone want those kids to do it online. Also going to college is not as much as the education as it also goes hand in hand with the experience. No shot 18 year olds are going to give up (regardless of the student loans) the experience of going away for 4 years with no parent/guardian figure just so that they can wake up in the same house as them and hop on a zoom call for class. Not to mention if these universities like penn state are offering world campus who the hell is paying 45k for an online education ..... bad take my friend

Reactions: RGWhirly
What in the crack pipe shit are you smoking? You think online university is going to continue thru what universities? You think those that aspire to change the world thru chemistry, medicine, engineering, etc are going to be able to do that online, let alone want those kids to do it online. Also going to college is not as much as the education as it also goes hand in hand with the experience. No shot 18 year olds are going to give up (regardless of the student loans) the experience of going away for 4 years with no parent/guardian figure just so that they can wake up in the same house as them and hop on a zoom call for class. Not to mention if these universities like penn state are offering world campus who the hell is paying 45k for an online education ..... bad take my friend
But, is there a price point that would make online much more accessible and attractive than on campus?

It’s gratifying to see that my old underhook is still working. I appreciate your passion for holding onto tradition, but, the days of charging $45+k/YR for college are numbered (except for the elite U’s). Colleges were badly exposed last year as tens of thousands discovered that they can get world class knowledge AND experience at a small fraction of the cost of on-campus education. Read up my friend and you will see that many of today’s young students aren’t buying into the traditional value proposition offered by private and public universities. Student debt; nah! Today you can acquire all the knowledge you need (on-line interactive from places like MIT) to secure a high paying tech job and not end up saddled with crushing student debt. So for now, let’s agree to disagree, watch the changing scene, and enjoy what we have today.

Last edited:
Nice write up by Willie regarding this topic in the mailbag this morning. He mentions having to strike now utilizing the current momentum coming off the Olympics, and make your voices heard. It's a quick read.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/24910
It’s a nice article, sure, but ignores the requirements of Title IX. The NCAA would have to elevate women’s wrestling in D1 to championship/Varsity status to create the “equal opportunity” or balance as ne noted. You cannot do that with a club sport.

The NCAA COULD designate Women’s Wrestling as Olympic Sport which would lower the championship / varsity requirements to 20 teams (I think) instead of 40. That would be similar to Gymnastics. Still….how many D1 programs today? 3? Maybe they would combine divisions but that would create precedent they might not want for other sports say…like Rugby.

Examine history with Hockey. We needed to add Equal Opportunity when Terry Pegula ponied up for Men’s Hockey. That does not mean exact opportunity as in Women’s Hockey, it means equal opportunities for women in sports. Tim Curley and the bean counters wanted to avoid the high cost of a second hockey team and the low attendance. The final four was Hockey, Rowing, Rugby and…brace yourself if this is news to you…Synchronized Skating. Yes, there were three options considered AHEAD of hockey.

There was impetus to build a rowing pool before adding Hockey. Think about that for a minute.

Why Synchronized Skating? Because skating IS popular, people do attend them (quite a bit apparently), there was alrclub teams that include ND and it would utilize the new sheets in Pegula.

We are successful in Rugby so there is logic there. Easy peasy.

Rugby seems to have no interest, or didnt at the time, to move to NCAA oversight so that’s out since it would not be Varsity…and a varsity team is needed for equal opportunity.

Tim met with the NCAA to ask them to move S Skating to varsity status and there was interest, just not quite enough teams and it wouldn’t be ready soon enough to satisfy. The Most preferred option was out.

In the end, Rowing and the investment vs Hockey and a new building was viewed as an optics disaster.

Enter Women’s Hockey.

It’s easy to want wrestling. As far as I know from the past, it’s not that simple if the goal is also to satisfy Title IX. Two preferred teams over Women’s Hockey couldn’t do it. Seems to me if Title IX is not a factor, then adding means club funding even if it’s called D1 Wrestling. I’m all for it. Even if Sandy has to add a different women’s sport for Title IX, we add wrestling anyway.
I could be, and often am, wrong.

Reactions: creamery freak
Why all this talk about Title IX with regard to Penn State? Are we not already in compliance? Would we have to add a men's team in another sport to maintain balance? I was under the impression that a women's wrestling team would be a way to get ahead of the curve (get your head out of the gutter, Bob 😉) and provide more opportunities for women.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
My question is this:

Given women currently wrestle FS in college, would the NCAA sanction free or folk for D1?

Would they use current UWW weights? All 10, or only Olympic weights?

I’m wondering if, whether PSU picks up wrestling or not, college age women will start joining NLWC while going to school.

ADVERTISEMENT