ADVERTISEMENT

Is this weekend’s game the one that determines whether Limegrover is the “answer”

The jury is still out regarding PSU’s OL (and their coach) when playing against equal or better competition on the LOS.

I think the OL is doing fine.

But, to be "elite," we need elite-level coaching and that was far from the on Saturday. From stupidly trying to get Stevens involved to the 4th down call--it wasn't a good night for Franklin. He's had his share of boners in big moments, particularly against OSU. The last two games haven't been lost because PSU wasn't an elite team--they were lost because the team received something far less than elite from the sidelines.

Deadspin article about the final play call. Bates and Fries get toasted.

https://deadspin.com/ohio-state-beat-penn-state-thanks-to-the-seasons-worst-1829422377

Penn State running back Miles Sanders had just 45 rushing yards on 15 carries heading into the final play of Saturday’s Ohio State-Penn State thriller. But with the Nittany Lions facing a fourth-and-five just outside of field goal range, down 27-26 with a little over a minute to play, PSU coach James Franklin made the baffling decision to hand the ball off to him.

The result, to an outsider at least, looked like one of the worst high-leverage play calls since Super Bowl XLIX, as at least two Penn State offensive linemen failed to block any Buckeyes, and Sanders got dropped for a two-yard loss. That pathetic last gasp ended a game in which Penn State held a 12-point lead at home with seven minutes remaining, and preserved Ohio State’s undefeated record.

After the game, Franklin explained that he thought he had spotted something about the Ohio State defensive set-up that would lead to a crease up the middle. He was wrong as hell:

“They changed the look [on defense], so we called a timeout and had some discussions,” said Franklin, who called two timeouts before the ill-fated fourth-and-5 play was smothered by Ohio State’s Chase Young at the Buckeyes’ 45-yard line.

“We obviously didn’t make the right call in that situation, and that’s on me, nobody else. We didn’t make the right call, and obviously, it didn’t work. We have called something similar like that in other situations, and it broke for a big play. But that’s on me.”

Obviously, a conversion in that spot wouldn’t have even guaranteed that Jake Pinegar—whose longest field goal on his young career is just 39 yards—would have delivered the victory. And focusing on this one specific play lets Penn State’s defense off the hook for completely failing to tackle Binjimen Victor on his fourth-quarter 47-yard touchdown that made the game 26-21, or getting wrecked by a screen pass for the game-winner. But quarterback Trace McSorley was gaining the team 10 yards at a time with almost all of his second-half runs, and Franklin’s choice to give the ball to a guy who had been decidedly ineffective all night, with the game on the line, comes off as too clever for its own good.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Deadspin article about the final play call. Bates and Fries get toasted.

https://deadspin.com/ohio-state-beat-penn-state-thanks-to-the-seasons-worst-1829422377

Penn State running back Miles Sanders had just 45 rushing yards on 15 carries heading into the final play of Saturday’s Ohio State-Penn State thriller. But with the Nittany Lions facing a fourth-and-five just outside of field goal range, down 27-26 with a little over a minute to play, PSU coach James Franklin made the baffling decision to hand the ball off to him.

The result, to an outsider at least, looked like one of the worst high-leverage play calls since Super Bowl XLIX, as at least two Penn State offensive linemen failed to block any Buckeyes, and Sanders got dropped for a two-yard loss. That pathetic last gasp ended a game in which Penn State held a 12-point lead at home with seven minutes remaining, and preserved Ohio State’s undefeated record.

After the game, Franklin explained that he thought he had spotted something about the Ohio State defensive set-up that would lead to a crease up the middle. He was wrong as hell:

“They changed the look [on defense], so we called a timeout and had some discussions,” said Franklin, who called two timeouts before the ill-fated fourth-and-5 play was smothered by Ohio State’s Chase Young at the Buckeyes’ 45-yard line.

“We obviously didn’t make the right call in that situation, and that’s on me, nobody else. We didn’t make the right call, and obviously, it didn’t work. We have called something similar like that in other situations, and it broke for a big play. But that’s on me.”

Obviously, a conversion in that spot wouldn’t have even guaranteed that Jake Pinegar—whose longest field goal on his young career is just 39 yards—would have delivered the victory. And focusing on this one specific play lets Penn State’s defense off the hook for completely failing to tackle Binjimen Victor on his fourth-quarter 47-yard touchdown that made the game 26-21, or getting wrecked by a screen pass for the game-winner. But quarterback Trace McSorley was gaining the team 10 yards at a time with almost all of his second-half runs, and Franklin’s choice to give the ball to a guy who had been decidedly ineffective all night, with the game on the line, comes off as too clever for its own good.
The reason CJF thought he saw something was, OSU played this same(or very similar) D in the same situation last year. This year though OSU was using more T/E stunts with the DT going out and the DE looping behind. On the big pass play to the TE prior to this play thats exactly what OSU did. We picked it up with late C help on a pass play.
Now on 4th and 6 (and if you back to last year, the run in this situation, 1:40 to go needing a FG, was wide wide open) watch what happens this year. OSU runs the T/E stunt #2 loops around and the DT (9?) goes out .
This is what I dont like about our run game, We man block this, which puts our OG and OT in impossible situations, the OT trying to block 2 as he goes around. If we had zoned blocked this, like many teams do, our 71 and 66 would have both attacked the DT and when he went out, 71 would take him over, and 66 would be free to block #2 on the loop around, and I think there would be a pretty good hole. 52 does enough to keep his guy out, and if we get #2 blocked we have a chance.
I have bitched about not zone blocking for several years.
Watch the tape is qued up,let it run, and then watch the end zone shot.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The reason CJF thought he saw something was, OSU played this same(or very similar) D in the same situation last year. This year though OSU was using more T/E stunts with the DT going out and the DE looping behind. On the big pass play to the TE prior to this play thats exactly what OSU did. We picked it up with late C help on a pass play.
Now on 4th and 6 (and if you back to last year, the run in this situation, 1:40 to go needing a FG, was wide wide open) watch what happens this year. OSU runs the T/E stunt #2 loops around and the DT (9?) goes out .
This is what I dont like about our run game, We man block this, which puts our OG and OT in impossible situations, the OT trying to block 2 as he goes around. If we had zoned blocked this, like many teams do, our 71 and 66 would have both attacked the DT and when he went out, 71 would take him over, and 66 would be free to block #2 on the loop around, and I think there would be a pretty good hole. 52 does enough to keep his guy out, and if we get #2 blocked we have a chance.
I have bitched about not zone blocking for several years.
Watch the tape is qued up,let it run, and then watch the end zone shot.

Nice analysis; I was hoping someone would dig into the X's and O's here. For me, it's like Lebron James passing the ball instead of taking the game winning shot. I don't pretend to know the scheme here, but you don't take the ball out of the hands of your best player. Especially when he's having a night like he had.

Reactions: BBrown
Nice analysis; I was hoping someone would dig into the X's and O's here. For me, it's like Lebron James passing the ball instead of taking the game winning shot. I don't pretend to know the scheme here, but you don't take the ball out of the hands of your best player. Especially when he's having a night like he had.
I dont disagree with what you are saying, but if in 2017 we had run this play at the end of the game on 2rd or 3rd down, SB would have scored a TD it was that wide open!! So I think Franklin after re watching the 17 tape wanted this play run if the D was the same, which they were. (pretty close) .

I dont disagree with what you are saying, but if in 2017 we had run this play at the end of the game on 2rd or 3rd down, SB would have scored a TD it was that wide open!! So I think Franklin after re watching the 17 tape wanted this play run if the D was the same, which they were. (pretty close) .

I like the thought process, but everything else is different - especially personnel and 'feel' for the game. TM was gashing OSU all night with his arm and legs; he has to get the ball there. Sanders was what, 15/45 at that point - he had to grind for every inch all night. We got too cute and overthought it.

Which really gets me because it's been obvious and overwhelming that Franklin is a play makers coach. That's his history. How and why he deviated from that regardless of what he or Rahne thought they saw will forever be a mystery to me. You don't chase mirages, but rather go with your power. Trace's performance was staring them in the face and somehow in the heat of the moment they forgot about it? Clearly they over thought it and got too cute. If you're going to fail do so with your best. We can all respect that.

I like the thought process, but everything else is different - especially personnel and 'feel' for the game. TM was gashing OSU all night with his arm and legs; he has to get the ball there. Sanders was what, 15/45 at that point - he had to grind for every inch all night. We got too cute and overthought it.
I agree with what you are saying, my bitch is plays like this dont have a chance with the way we block things currently. Here's a link to my break down of the 17 game from last Thursday.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threa...-know-what-makes-me-go-all-earl-pitts.219398/

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The jury was in "Recess" regarding Limegrower. They apparently have come to a "Verdict". Details regarding their unanimous decision to be announced at ..........the end of the season. :)

The jury was in "Recess" regarding Limegrower. They apparently have come to a "Verdict". Details regarding their unanimous decision to be announced at ..........the end of the season. :)

I dont think its really going to matter is coaching the OL its the scheme that is the issue not the coaching techniques this is offense isnt made to blast of the ball going down hill running game. Its ok to have RPO part of your offense I just dont think you can have it as your whole offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT