ADVERTISEMENT

Is this weekend’s game the one that determines whether Limegrover is the “answer”

I thought the line played pretty well overall Saturday. We certainly didn’t see the number of negative plays or TFLs that we saw game after game over the past few years. I think they’ll improve even more if/when Fries takes over full time duties at RT.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
On the other hand, think how bad they might be without Limegrover.

The player talent is “clearly” there? TBD!

Reactions: step.eng69
as OL coach?

The player talent is clearly there, but I’ve yet to see an OL under his recent tutelage that even closely resembles what a PSU OL should be.
I’ll be the 1st to admit our OL needs continued improvement, but I don’t think they played badly vs App State. I also don’t think their performance was as bad the past few years as many make it out to be, largely because of so many TFL’s, particularly with Barkley. Teams were scheming & blitzing with a focus to neutralize Barkley last year, and in the process, many other things opened up for PSU’s offense.

Something similar happened with Stanford game this past weekend...San Diego St was hellbent on stopping Bryce Love, which they did (29 yards on 18 carries). But Stanford lit it up through the air. I don’t think Stanford’s OL forgot how to run block, all of a sudden.

Bottom line...Limegrover doesn’t need to prove anything this Saturday. The trajectory of the OL is absolutely headed in the right direction.

I thought the line played pretty well overall Saturday. We certainly didn’t see the number of negative plays or TFLs that we saw game after game over the past few years. I think they’ll improve even more if/when Fries takes over full time duties at RT.
Still saw Sanders and Slade getting hit in the backfield. Also none of the RPO plays where Mcsorley puts the ball in the RBs gut ony to pull it out after a second delay.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
people bitched about that play for the last two years, now people are bitching because they didn't see it?

people bitched about that play for the last two years, now people are bitching because they didn't see it?
Not bitching. Those plays yielded some big yards but the delay also resulted in tackles for loss.

as OL coach?

The player talent is clearly there, but I’ve yet to see an OL under his recent tutelage that even closely resembles what a PSU OL should be.
Absolutely. and if he fails, I say we bring back Dick Anderson...and why stop there? Jay can call the plays. we could swap Golden for Pry as wel..

Reactions: bison13 and acg116
yes we absolutely should judge Limegrover solely from this game

but if the line plays well we should throw that out the window and wait until another game when they don't play as well and question him again

sound like a plan?

It's reasoning like this that makes the internet my favorite place to virtually be.

Yeah, the O-line sucked so bad that they only paved the way for a balanced attack with 200+ on the ground and 200+ in the air and helped the team score 40+ and get the win under pressure. Those guys suck ballsack and the coach must be blamed...nevemind it was Menets first start and McGovern is in a different spot from last year....My God...this line should have meshed from the opening snap and they all should have been pancaking every defender on the field.

Reactions: bison13 and SR108
Still saw Sanders and Slade getting hit in the backfield. Also none of the RPO plays where Mcsorley puts the ball in the RBs gut ony to pull it out after a second delay.

PSU was only tackled for loss on designed run plays two times. And those were on the same drive.

PSU was only tackled for loss on designed run plays two times. And those were on the same drive.
Yes but I saw them getting hit in the backfield and breaking tackles to eke out a minimal gain. Obviously not in OT. Either something clicked or App State just wore out.

Yes but I saw them getting hit in the backfield and breaking tackles to eke out a minimal gain. Obviously not in OT. Either something clicked or App State just wore out.

One of those plays was Gonzalez pulling to the right to block the DE. He was too slow or the DE was too quick. The DE hit Sanders in the legs but, Sanders was able to break the tackle and get a couple of yards.

Reactions: bdgan
One of those plays was Gonzalez pulling to the right to block the DE. He was too slow or the DE was too quick. The DE hit Sanders in the legs but, Sanders was able to break the tackle and get a couple of yards.
my question is this, if Gonzalez is too slow,why do we ask him to pull? Why do we ask Arby's to pull (Big Bacon or Fries)? We can run those plays without having our guys pull.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
He is a proven excellent line coach. Our offense scored 45 points and ran when they wanted to in OT to win the game. Was there a fulll moon yesterday?

They gave up one sack and two tackles for loss. It was the first game of the year with a rookie center. They'll get better.
I believe they will get better, but that said, I do not like our basic blocking schemes on our run plays. we want to block back and kick out (either the TE, or a OL coming around) . I would much rather be a two double teams at the hole. More straight ahead with out 300# guys.

They gave up one sack and two tackles for loss. It was the first game of the year with a rookie center. They'll get better.

I know its been mentioned before but I think it needs repeating.
This is not defense (3-4) that we will see a lot of in the B1G. Franklin said as much before the game and said that it was hard for the Scout Team to play it.
Add into that you have McGovern back to a position he hasn't played in 12 months and a brand new Center who had a very, very good (possible NFL) NT over top of him.
All things considered I thought we did pretty good.

I know its been mentioned before but I think it needs repeating.
This is not defense (3-4) that we will see a lot of in the B1G. Franklin said as much before the game and said that it was hard for the Scout Team to play it.
Add into that you have McGovern back to a position he hasn't played in 12 months and a brand new Center who had a very, very good (possible NFL) NT over top of him.
All things considered I thought we did pretty good.
we may not see it 'alot' in the B1G, OTOH 50% of our OOC plays it (App St and Kent ST) after that Rutgers and MD play it (some sort of 30 front, which I really think is a 3-3-5 but whatever) So 4 out 12, is one third of the teams you play, play some sort of '30' front, so I would think you should spend some time and get ready for it.

we may not see it 'alot' in the B1G, OTOH 50% of our OOC plays it (App St and Kent ST) after that Rutgers and MD play it (some sort of 30 front, which I really think is a 3-3-5 but whatever) So 4 out 12, is one third of the teams you play, play some sort of '30' front, so I would think you should spend some time and get ready for it.

Didn't realize RU and MD play a version of it.
Ok then I'm a little puzzled by Franklin's remarks because Washington played it as well with an excellent NFL NT in Vita Vea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn't realize RU and MD play a version of it.
Ok then I'm a little puzzled by Franklin's remarks because Washington played it as well with an excellent NFL NT in Vita Vea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nebraska did as well last year.

Something similar happened with Stanford game this past weekend...San Diego St was hellbent on stopping Bryce Love, which they did (29 yards on 18 carries). But Stanford lit it up through the air. I don’t think Stanford’s OL forgot how to run block, all of a sudden.

This right here. Could not agree more.

i dont know he is the problem i think its more about the scheme we run its not a blow off the ball type of scheme.

Reactions: bison13
as OL coach?

Just wondering where we currently stand on this. Have we determined if Limegrover is the "answer", or have we pushed off that determination until next week?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT