ADVERTISEMENT

is this board going to be affected by

@tikk10 and @nittinsc hit upon a couple of the issues that drove me off 247 years ago (and I fought it as long as I could):

(1) Basic functionality — it was terrible for mobile and, eventually, not usable. Maybe that has changed.

(2) Treatment of long-standing members as newbies that somehow needed moderator approval for their posts. Sounds like this is still an issue.

And the kicker for me:

(3) Non-“VIP” pee-ons like me not being allowed to view any posts made by a “VIP”. Threads were thus a skeleton of viewable replies to comments that couldn’t be viewed. The salt in the wound was that admins would post links to content viewable only to “VIP” members — on the free board. My stance — have either a free board or a pay board, not some hybrid cluster. Get off my free board with your pay-only content. [shakes fists]

Paywall absolutely will be influential. Remember when Scout/FOS created the premium version of On The Mats for people to escape KK? Even that wasn’t enough motivation for a mass migration.

Other examples to analyze, for anyone who has the time:
— traffic on Rivals HR vs the Inner Circle forum
— the pay site vs. 247 site for tOSU

Not that it matters beyond just putting out a data point, but I will not pay to participate in a forum. And I’m very reluctant to go back to 247. Maybe Rivals will develop a new forum for PSU wrestling. I can wait a while for that . . . and squat at tHR in the meantime (there is always plenty of PSU Wrestling “discussion” over there). 😉

@tikk10 and @nittinsc hit upon a couple of the issues that drove me off 247 years ago (and I fought it as long as I could):

(1) Basic functionality — it was terrible for mobile and, eventually, not usable. Maybe that has changed.

(2) Treatment of long-standing members as newbies that somehow needed moderator approval for their posts. Sounds like this is still an issue.

And the kicker for me:

(3) Non-“VIP” pee-ons like me not being allowed to view any posts made by a “VIP”. Threads were thus a skeleton of viewable replies to comments that couldn’t be viewed. The salt in the wound was that admins would post links to content viewable only to “VIP” members — on the free board. My stance — have either a free board or a pay board, not some hybrid cluster. Get off my free board with your pay-only content. [shakes fists]

Paywall absolutely will be influential. Remember when Scout/FOS created the premium version of On The Mats for people to escape KK? Even that wasn’t enough motivation for a mass migration.

Not that it matters beyond just putting out a data point, but I will not pay to participate in a forum. And I’m very reluctant to go back to 247. Maybe Rivals will develop a new forum for PSU wrestling. I can wait a while for that . . . and squat at tHR in the meantime (there is always plenty of PSU Wrestling “discussion” over there). 😉
Calm down, Champ, we'll get through this. :cool: Point 3 above is good, i forgot about that. I've taken a look at traffic on some of the other on3 sites such as Clemson, Alabama, etc. and most look like the Pitt wrestling forum. A few schools did have fairly high traffic, but I didn't dig any deeper for the reasons.

Reactions: slushhead
At a minimum, KYPSW will continue on 247. I've been cross-posting it over there, allowing guys from there to participate. I will keep an open mind on the new site, but am not likely to spend more than $1 on it.

all the changes w Rivals, BWI etc?
Anyone know?
I have read all the post. No one seems to know if Rivals will not have a Penn State site. If they do, why would anything change. It sounds like it may just not have the Bluewhite Illustrated brand name.

Last edited:
At a minimum, KYPSW will continue on 247. I've been cross-posting it over there, allowing guys from there to participate. I will keep an open mind on the new site, but am not likely to spend more than $1 on it.
Could you repeat that?

I have read all the post. No one seems to know if Rivals will not have a Penn State site. If they do, why would anything change. It sounds like it my just not have the Bluewhite Illustrated brand name.
Exactly. I am not even sure the bwi.rivals.com website will change because I believe the web address is the property of Rivals. Maybe just a name change.

Reactions: nitlion6
Could you repeat that?

What am I missing?

I am still having Viewing issues on my Android web browser. I can't see what I'm typing/posting. Very user unfriendly. I remember when they converted to the current format and it sucked even back then.

Last edited:
Are you a premium member over there?

I dropped my membership a couple of years ago and now it's not accepting my post.
I am not. So it doesn't make sense if you all are still having issues today.

And the kicker for me:

I left for pretty much the same reasons.

The long-time 247 members treated the new FOS members like they were from the other side of the tracks.

When in a treestand, do everything twice.
You wishing he ends up back in the hospital?
rick-james-dave-chappelle.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
Doug posts at 11:48. Still can’t stay in a tree stand all day, huh?

Guys, I understand all the frustration and uncertainty that many of you have expressed and/or are feeling. It doesn't surprise me that many of you have been wondering about alternative boards at which you can gather in the future.

Allow me to try to remove most of the uncertainty. I'm not exactly sure what I can say, and what I should not be posting, so I'm going to walk a pretty narrow line, and will hope that you're able to fill in the pieces.

At the new location, what you have on this board will be essentially the same. That will be the case in terms of costs (or lack thereof), and pretty much everything else.

The Last Man Standing competition will still be in existence. KYPSW is independent of this board, but I would hope that @pawrestlersintn will be running it/posting about it at the new location. I'll do my weekly review of rankings, we'll have dual threads, etc. Hopefully, @ItalianLion will post the spreadsheets that he maintains at the new location, and @dicemen99 will post a link to his recruiting document.

I worked really hard to build this board into what it has become. That said, my efforts were more to establish the board, to set some standards, and to allow it to grow into what it has become. It's the contributions of each of you that make it what it is.

I believe you'll have to register at the new location. And I'm sure there will be some adjustment/learning curve issues with the software at the new location. Those are annoyances for sure, but in the big picture, they are really pretty minor.

This is, IMHO, the best wrestling board out there. And while I've played a roll in fostering it and it keeping it civil, it really is each of you that make it work. I consider this one big extended family, that has a shared passion. If, collectively, we're smart about this, there is absolutely no reason why the family should fracture or break up due to what's coming in the near future.

Again, I'm walking a fine line here, but I hope I've made things pretty clear, and that we'll be having all kinds of great discussions about PSU wrestling, B1G wrestling, USA wrestling, etc. during the upcoming PSU wrestling season, and in future years.

FWIW, I was able to register my handle at ON3 without any financial obligation. Not saying I will be able to post on the wrestling board when it goes live but time will tell. So if anybody wants to register there for free click on the login button, then click sign up.

Looks like you can't even see posts ON3 forums without purchasing a subscription $10 first year then $99/year. Since im just a wrestling fan and not a Penn St guy I will not be paying for another subscription .

Looks like you can't even see posts ON3 forums without purchasing a subscription $10 first year then $99/year. Since im just a wrestling fan and not a Penn St guy I will not be paying for another subscription .

you're leaping to conclusions based on incomplete data. Read my above post, especially the part in bold, and have a little faith (and patience). While you're not a PSU guy, as you've indicated many times over the years, your contributions to this board have been good, and I look forward to your continued contributions in the future.

On the list of forums on PSU site it lists a "free board", so I do not believe this to be the case.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Guys, I understand all the frustration and uncertainty that many of you have expressed and/or are feeling. It doesn't surprise me that many of you have been wondering about alternative boards at which you can gather in the future.

Allow me to try to remove most of the uncertainty. I'm not exactly sure what I can say, and what I should not be posting, so I'm going to walk a pretty narrow line, and will hope that you're able to fill in the pieces.

At the new location, what you have on this board will be essentially the same. That will be the case in terms of costs (or lack thereof), and pretty much everything else.

The Last Man Standing competition will still be in existence. KYPSW is independent of this board, but I would hope that @pawrestlersintn will be running it/posting about it at the new location. I'll do my weekly review of rankings, we'll have dual threads, etc. Hopefully, @ItalianLion will post the spreadsheets that he maintains at the new location, and @dicemen99 will post a link to his recruiting document.

I worked really hard to build this board into what it has become. That said, my efforts were more to establish the board, to set some standards, and to allow it to grow into what it has become. It's the contributions of each of you that make it what it is.

I believe you'll have to register at the new location. And I'm sure there will be some adjustment/learning curve issues with the software at the new location. Those are annoyances for sure, but in the big picture, they are really pretty minor.

This is, IMHO, the best wrestling board out there. And while I've played a roll in fostering it and it keeping it civil, it really is each of you that make it work. I consider this one big extended family, that has a shared passion. If, collectively, we're smart about this, there is absolutely no reason why the family should fracture or break up due to what's coming in the near future.

Again, I'm walking a fine line here, but I hope I've made things pretty clear, and that we'll be having all kinds of great discussions about PSU wrestling, B1G wrestling, USA wrestling, etc. during the upcoming PSU wrestling season, and in future years.
I was planning to do this last week but was traveling on the west coast.

But I have posted my recruiting spreadsheet over there. Not sure if everyone can see it yet, but I would assume that everyone will be able at a future date. Perhaps that went over the line Tom is trying not to cross, but he can delete this post if so. It will all be pretty clear in about 20 days or so, I guess.

you're leaping to conclusions based on incomplete data. Read my above post, especially the part in bold, and have a little faith (and patience). While you're not a PSU guy, as you've indicated many times over the years, your contributions to this board have been good, and I look forward to your continued contributions in the future.
It appears that Tom and Cael both have a plan....

But I have posted my recruiting spreadsheet over there. Not sure if everyone can see it yet, but I would assume that everyone will be able at a future date. Perhaps that went over the line Tom is trying not to cross, but he can delete this post if so. It will all be pretty clear in about 20 days or so, I guess.
I created a free log in but your posts is listed, as of now, as premium content, so I cannot see it. Also the post about what mat Carlton-Pletcher is on, I can see the first sentence of the post from CentexLion, but none of the responses.

I trust Tom, but it is not looking good right now. Maybe in time they will be removed from premium content status?

Now that you’ve temporarily talked me off the ledge and buttered me up… Where are we at in terms of letting us cuss in full caps?

😁 thanks for all the work done behind the scenes on stuff like this.

I created a free log in but your posts is listed, as of now, as premium content, so I cannot see it. Also the post about what mat Carlton-Pletcher is on, I can see the first sentence of the post from CentexLion, but none of the responses.

I trust Tom, but it is not looking good right now. Maybe in time they will be removed from premium content status?
I went to the "free board" there and got the same lack of privilege message.

Regardless of how things go, Tom, I have a ton of respect for what you built here, which is substantial, so thank you. This is definitely the best wrestling board out there, in my opinion.

But I'm not clear what you mean by incomplete data, nor can I infer as much from your post, but I'm seeing the same thing everyone else is. I've successfully registered, was able to easily find The Wrestling Room, but I can't read any of the comments or original posts because I "have insufficient privileges" and am prompted to subscribe. That doesn't feel like a bug but a feature working exactly as intended. So if it is a bug, this is a not-great rollout strategy because ON3 won't get a second chance to win the trust of some people.

Last edited:

No! Anything short of full-on Penn State Pessimism is unacceptable.

Is it too late to request an audit of this transaction? Seems like a lot of things came in overnight in favor of ON3…

If you have nothing to hide, you should be open to an audit

😂

Nice. I was able to view it and open the spreadsheet. If we get 10% of the new names you added, then this is the endpoint of the world domination process o_O

Guessing it will be free as soon as this is shut down. All of the posting/links/icons are identical to what we have here. I paid the $1.08 for the first year, but thinking that will really be for the Lions Den premium board, which doesn't interest me. But still, $1 for a year? That's like $0.17 a day if my Freestyle Math is correct.

Nice. I was able to view it and open the spreadsheet. If we get 10% of the new names you added, then this is the endpoint of the world domination process o_O

Guessing it will be free as soon as this is shut down. All of the posting/links/icons are identical to what we have here. I paid the $1.08 for the first year, but thinking that will really be for the Lions Den premium board, which doesn't interest me. But still, $1 for a year? That's like $0.17 a day if my Freestyle Math is correct.
Yes, $1.08 for first year, then $99!

ADVERTISEMENT