ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a rule that Iowa fans ..

Saturday nights, it's more like...
giphy.gif

… He was a tall flower among a cornfield of weeds.
Waxing poetic imagery! Very cool my brother :cool:
Definitely cool! The word cornfield is a nested metaphor+allusion inside a metaphor!

[In case the above is not clear, here is what I mean. As pure imagery, neither weeds nor flowers would be visible in a cornfield as visualized by non-farmers. Because non-farmers visualize a cornfield as having tall corn plants, and corn plants are densely planted and tall. Therefore, the word cornfield must be a metaphor (nested inside the main metaphor of a flower among weeds). The cornfield metaphor suggests the high density and wide expanse of the weeds. The word cornfield is also an allusion to Iowa. In other words, we are meant to not visualize any corn plant but to visualize weeds arranged densely (like corn) in a wide field.]

Definitely cool! The word cornfield is a nested metaphor+allusion inside a metaphor!

[In case the above is not clear, here is what I mean. As pure imagery, neither weeds nor flowers would be visible in a cornfield as visualized by non-farmers. Because non-farmers visualize a cornfield as having tall corn plants, and corn plants are densely planted and tall. Therefore, the word cornfield must be a metaphor (nested inside the main metaphor of a flower among weeds). The cornfield metaphor suggests the high density and wide expanse of the weeds. The word cornfield is also an allusion to Iowa. In other words, we are meant to not visualize any corn plant but to visualize weeds arranged densely (like corn) in a wide field.]
giphy.gif

… Because non-farmers visualize a cornfield as having tall corn plants … Therefore, the word cornfield must be a metaphor … The word cornfield is also an allusion to Iowa …
Hmm … the word cornfield does not have to be a metaphor. It could just force the reader to visualize a fallow field (i.e., to think of cornfield in all its possible forms, more as a farmer might). That would be even better, because it would evoke the faded glory of Iowa wrestling. :)

Reactions: danoftw
Hmm … the word cornfield does not have to be a metaphor. It could just force the reader to visualize a fallow field (i.e., to think of cornfield in all its possible forms, more as a farmer might). That would be even better, because it would evoke the faded glory of Iowa wrestling. :)

Or:

65d3fdda168fdaee3de633855df7f3cf.gif

T-minus 65 days, sir. Enjoy it while you can.
Ignorance really is bliss. After 10 years, Hawkeye fans still can't fathom What Cael, Cody, Casey and Jimmy can can do with a wrestling team in 65 days. It may as well be a lifetime!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT