ADVERTISEMENT

Is the SEC really any good?

itsofficial101

Oct 11, 2017
So they have Bama, who beat exactly one team that will be ranked next week. They have Georgia, who beat exactly one team that will be ranked next week. They have Auburn, who beat exactly one team that will be ranked next week.

I'm not impressed. Some of their ranked teams like #19 LSU have losses like Troy, oh and beat exactly one team that will be ranked next week. Then there is #24 S. Carolina who has not beaten even one ranked team this year and will lose to Clemson to be unranked next week.

Their conference is very likely to end up with 2 in the playoff but in actuality they are pretty weak. They will have only 3 or 4 ranked teams next week and they haven't beaten many ranked opponents.

The B1G will have 4 or 5 ranked teams next week (unlikely Mich beats OSU). But these teams have actually beat more ranked teams.

The B1g 12 and PAC 10 will each probably have 3 ranked teams.

This is all supposing that they don't start ranking 4 loss SEC teams which I suppose they could with the SEC bias.

So they have Bama, who beat exactly one team that will be ranked next week. They have Georgia, who beat exactly one team that will be ranked next week. They have Auburn, who beat exactly one team that will be ranked next week.

I'm not impressed. Some of their ranked teams like #19 LSU have losses like Troy, oh and beat exactly one team that will be ranked next week. Then there is #24 S. Carolina who has not beaten even one ranked team this year and will lose to Clemson to be unranked next week.

Their conference is very likely to end up with 2 in the playoff but in actuality they are pretty weak. They will have only 3 or 4 ranked teams next week and they haven't beaten many ranked opponents.

The B1G will have 4 or 5 ranked teams next week (unlikely Mich beats OSU). But these teams have actually beat more ranked teams.

This is all supposing that they don't start ranking 4 loss SEC teams which I suppose they could with the SEC bias.

The Big Ten has five. I'm guessing you're ignoring Northwestern which is very important in your argument.

Wisconsin and Penn State have 1 ranked win--Northwestern. Northwestern has 1 ranked win--Michigan St. Michigan State has 1--Penn State. Ohio State has 2--Penn State & Michigan State. That isn't exactly impressive. They've beaten each other.

I don't believe the Big Ten's ranked teams have beat a ranked team from another conference. Not a good look if we're being honest.

I'm not saying the SEC isn't overrated but those top 3 teams are pretty good.

Also they all currently have 2 top 25 wins not one. I guess you're assuming South Carolina losses and ???? It's possible but hasn't happened yet. If Northwestern somehow losses we'd have no wins against ranked teams. Yikes. Go Cats!

Can’t you use they only beat one team argument for a lot of teams.

Clemson?
Ohio State?

We basically beat a top ranked 20-25

Wisky has beaten nobody.

Can’t you use they only beat one team argument for a lot of teams.

Clemson?
Ohio State?

We basically beat a top ranked 20-25

Wisky has beaten nobody.

We have the exact same "top win" as Wisconsin--Northwestern
But, yes, you're absolutely right

The ACC is the best THIS year.

1. ACC
2. SEC & B1G
3. PAC 12
4. BIG 12

I assume you're buying into Miami being legit?

I really like the depth of the ACC.

Wake Forest, Duke and (gasp) Syracuse are actually pretty decent teams. If Penn State played them, I would not say that Penn State could just show up and finish 3-0.

The ACC is the best THIS year.

1. ACC
2. SEC & B1G
3. PAC 12
4. BIG 12

How has the ACC separated itself? Virginia Tech is their third best team. Is Va Tech even close to Penn State or Georgia?

I'd say
1. Big Ten/SEC (valid argument either way)
3. ACC
4. Big XII
5. Pac XII (maybe the AAC--Pac XII is awful)

How has the ACC separated itself? Virginia Tech is their third best team. Is Va Tech even close to Penn State or Georgia?

I'd say
1. Big Ten/SEC (valid argument either way)
3. ACC
4. Big XII
5. Pac XII (maybe the AAC--Pac XII is awful)

See my above post. The ACC has the best depth of the P5 Conferences. I would take Duke, Syracuse and Wake Forest to BEAT Nebraska, Illinois and Northwestern, for example.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Wake Forest, Duke and (gasp) Syracuse are actually pretty decent teams. If Penn State played them, I would not say that Penn State could just show up and finish 3-0.

Wake I'll give you. NC State is solid. Louisville is good offensively. BC is trending up as is UVa.
Syracuse has been awful for the most part aside from that Clemson game
Duke hasn't done anything since beating Northwestern (I still don't understand that game)
Pitt, UNC and even FSU are pretty much awful

See my above post. The ACC has the best depth of the P5 Conferences. I would take Duke, Syracuse and Wake Forest to BEAT Nebraska, Illinois and Northwestern, for example.
Well if that's the case, I would take any team except Kansas from the Big 12 to beat any of those teams.

Well, Duke beat NW but if they played again I think the outcome would be different. I'm taking Northwestern today (with a healthy Thorson & Jackson) over most of the ACC.

I mean, if Northwestern is really as bad as you think then you can't possibly think highly of Penn State

Meh. No need to argue about that. More importantly, there is a team that plays in a stadium full of empty yellow seats with a giant tarp in Allegheny County, PA that's going to test the mighty (overhyped) U today.

I'm looking forward to see how these teams match up in the bowls.
If the SEC-Big Ten didn't play each other as much as they do I think those two conferences would do very well
Doesn't the Big Ten have the best non-conference record this year against other Power 5 schools?

I'm looking forward to see how these teams match up in the bowls.
If the SEC-Big Ten didn't play each other as much as they do I think those two conferences would do very well
Doesn't the Big Ten have the best non-conference record this year against other Power 5 schools?
The other problem with the bowl games is that most of them are home games (or might as well be home games) for the SEC teams and none of them are home games for the Big teams.

Well, Duke beat NW but if they played again I think the outcome would be different. I'm taking Northwestern today (with a healthy Thorson & Jackson) over most of the ACC.

I mean, if Northwestern is really as bad as you think then you can't possibly think highly of Penn State

I said all year Penn State is a #12 team.

Better throw Pitt in there in light of their victory over your beloved Canes. Hail to Pitt! That wasn't that big of an upset. The U is just not that good. Hell, throw the U in there too.

The main reason I don't think the ACC can be on par with the Big Ten and SEC is lack of depth at the top. It's nice the bottom half is solid but when Miami & Va Tech are your 2-3 that's not impressive to me anyway

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT