ADVERTISEMENT

Football Is the OL finally a strength for Penn State? - 2023 Spring Position Preview

The answer is highly doubtful. The line was a bit of a mess last year only stabilizing after the move from 11 to 12 personnel. The line was bad early on against a murderers row of bad teams. Were absolutely destroyed by Michigan and Ohio State and were merely average the rest of the way against the weakest schedule we have played since joining the Big Ten.

Caden Wallace has been the biggest question mark on our OL past 3 years. I don’t believe he’s capable of playing OT in Big Ten. Very hopeful they move him to guard. I think Trautwein is finally getting “his” type of players and they’re buying into his teaching. I’m very optimistic/high on the future of the O-line. Olu was a 3 star recruit that should end up being the 1st offense lineman drafted and a top 5/10 players selected. That will continue to keep us a destination point for offense lineman.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
Caden Wallace has been the biggest question mark on our OL past 3 years. I don’t believe he’s capable of playing OT in Big Ten. Very hopeful they move him to guard. I think Trautwein is finally getting “his” type of players and they’re buying into his teaching. I’m very optimistic/high on the future of the O-line. Olu was a 3 star recruit that should end up being the 1st offense lineman drafted and a top 5/10 players selected. That will continue to keep us a destination point for offense lineman.
I my opinion, Wallace is not well suited to playing in the spread gap blocking we currently use. Moving inside would probably be a bad move given the amount of movement that is needed in the current offense. His best fit is at right tackle. He did make some nice plays but also had some bad mistakes.

I am not buying the hype on Olu. He would soundly dominated when we played the two teams will legit talent up front on defense. He is a good young player that looked promising and has a lot of potential. He was smart to come back. Projects at tackle don't go in the first round much less top ten. They usually go in the third.

Certainly hope the o line is solid next year. With the great RBs there will be a lot of ground chuck eaten up. And if they can protect Allar as he plays into a top QB, the entire offense will be impossible to stop.

But if this is hype and hope, then Allar will struggle. Then the running game will struggle as defenses align to stop it. Then our defense will be on the filed a ton and tire late in games.

O line is a major key this year. It better preform.

I my opinion, Wallace is not well suited to playing in the spread gap blocking we currently use. Moving inside would probably be a bad move given the amount of movement that is needed in the current offense. His best fit is at right tackle. He did make some nice plays but also had some bad mistakes.

I am not buying the hype on Olu. He would soundly dominated when we played the two teams will legit talent up front on defense. He is a good young player that looked promising and has a lot of potential. He was smart to come back. Projects at tackle don't go in the first round much less top ten. They usually go in the third.
Don’t forget Olu was only 19 years old his sophomore year. He’s extremely young to drafted by NFL as an OL. I believe the main reason he return was due to his age. More than one NFL scout has him ranked as the top player in his position. Dude is gonna be a top 5-10 player taken in draft.

OL can definitely be a strength. To me the questions are at center and RT. I dont know if Nourzad had the physical ability to be effective B1G starter. If Wallace stays at RT I think he needs to drop 20 or 30 pounds to increase his foot quickness. The past 2 years he's been a turnstile. I'd prefer that he moves to guard and Shelton starts at RT.

Reactions: tlbakernc
The pass protection will need to be really good -- as Allar doesn't appear to be as nimble and escape-oriented as Cliff. There are question marks no doubt, Caedan especially, but this should be a big year with playoff possibilities. The OL needs to lead the way.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Don’t forget Olu was only 19 years old his sophomore year. He’s extremely young to drafted by NFL as an OL. I believe the main reason he return was due to his age. More than one NFL scout has him ranked as the top player in his position. Dude is gonna be a top 5-10 player taken in draft.
I'll believe it when I see it but you could be right. He was impressive against lower tier competition. Another year of growth and he might be able to do the same against upper tier. There are no guarantees with the draft. The closest thing you will get is Arch Manning who will be a top 3 pick barring injury.

The pass protection will need to be really good -- as Allar doesn't appear to be as nimble and escape-oriented as Cliff. There are question marks no doubt, Caedan especially, but this should be a big year with playoff possibilities. The OL needs to lead the way.
It would be great if Allar develops a more consistent pocket clock so that he just throws the ball away 2-5 times a game when he doesn't find either of his first couple of reads open. Clifford sometimes, especially in big games, just held the ball too long. And in those games there were always times that he decided to run a half second late which also resulted in a sack.

Reactions: scrivener
It would be great if Allar develops a more consistent pocket clock so that he just throws the ball away 2-5 times a game when he doesn't find either of his first couple of reads open. Clifford sometimes, especially in big games, just held the ball too long. And in those games there were always times that he decided to run a half second late which also resulted in a sack.
No question...good point as the pocket clock certainly comes with time and games. Hopefully his clock doesn't cost us in key situations in big games, until he figures it out. Cliff at least could crush a D with a big run, especially on 3rd down. Maybe Allar's arm will be the equalizer in making throws that result in critical completions to demoralize a defense. Either way, he better be ready week 1.

Reactions: GregInPitt
No question...good point as the pocket clock certainly comes with time and games. Hopefully his clock doesn't cost us in key situations in big games, until he figures it out. Cliff at least could crush a D with a big run, especially on 3rd down. Maybe Allar's arm will be the equalizer in making throws that result in critical completions to demoralize a defense. Either way, he better be ready week 1.
I don't know what is going to happen but if we don't upgrade the receiving corps and line, it won't matter. Clifford held on to the ball because receivers can't get open. This is a problem because Clifford will have more time to allow them to get open because he is a legit threat to run, Allar is not. If the receiver position isn't better, and the line isn't better, the offense will regress. Yes, this is what I think will happen for at least the first half of the year.

I'll believe it when I see it but you could be right. He was impressive against lower tier competition. Another year of growth and he might be able to do the same against upper tier. There are no guarantees with the draft. The closest thing you will get is Arch Manning who will be a top 3 pick barring injury.
In my humble opinion, Allar is as good as Clifford running the ball. Allar moves pretty good for a 240lbs QB. You sleep on him he’ll gain 15 yards in heart beat. Reminds me of Allen with Bills, dare I say Herbert with Chargers. Only thing I worry about is injury. One thing I’d like to add. He seems to have quicker release than Clifford. He can throw the ball on the move and can throw the ball using multiple angles.

Crazy think a 19 year OL played as well as he has. He played Big Ten weighing 308lbs. His listed weight is now 323lbs. That’s a eco of a jump. I’m guessing a lot of that is muscle. At 6’-6” and 323lbs will have scouts drolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: brupsu
The entire team was suffering from food poisoning from the pre game meal served by Illinois.

Crazy think a 19 year OL played as well as he has. He played Big Ten weighing 308lbs. His listed weight is now 323lbs. That’s a eco of a jump. I’m guessing a lot of that is muscle. At 6’-6” and 323lbs will have scouts drolling.

He was in the 320s last year and dropped it before the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT