ADVERTISEMENT

Is it wrong for me to be happy with Iowa's success so far?

lionlover

Jul 8, 2001
I mean, I am sad for RBY losing to Desanto, but he is a true freshman and I think he will close the gap next year.

But, Iowa has been beaten down so much that I actually feel badly for their great fans like IAChief, WildTurk et al.

I remember going through the dark years of PSU football and know how it feels to have been an elite program fallen on hard times. So, these early positive results in the NCAA's are like an adrenaline shot to their fan base. A lot of good posts over there now.

I mean, I am sad for RBY losing to Desanto, but he is a true freshman and I think he will close the gap next year.

But, Iowa has been beaten down so much that I actually feel badly for their great fans like IAChief, WildTurk et al.

I remember going through the dark years of PSU football and know how it feels to have been an elite program fallen on hard times. So, these early positive results in the NCAA's are like an adrenaline shot to their fan base. A lot of good posts over there now.

SPa76rS.gif

Glad to see they had a great day. Happy for Stoll. He has had a rough year. We need the Hawks, the Bucks, the Boys and more teams to be strong. Thought Okie State had a bad day.

Yeah, other than RBY’s bout, good for them. Especially Murin and Stoll.

Good for them. I think Iowa success is good for the sport. (as well as OKst, tOSU, etc) Glad to see them doing well.
Contrary to popular belief on HR, most PSU fans are not hateful, spiteful little trolls that go to bed each day and wish them evil.

I'm sorry but I feel bad for their fans, they are excited to watch BORING wrestling. Lugo's match against 17-15 Blees was soooo boring, Lugo never shoots. Stoll's matches are the reason people leave when the heavyweights are still wrestling, Warner who they've hyped the last year and a half does nothing against a guy with double digit losses. We complain about Berge's offense, despite losing he's outscored HALF of their lineup... I know we are spoiled with the PSU mindset of constant attack, and I agree Iowa had a nice first day as far as wins go and overall I acknowledge they have great passion for the sport, but I can't feel good that a majority of Iowa's style is really hard to watch.

Not saying it's a fair representation of the entire fan base, but go read the HR crap: Carl, Bael, payments, cheating. You don't have to look for it. It's in practically every thread. That'll cure you.

Not saying it's a fair representation of the entire fan base, but go read the HR crap: Carl, Bael, payments, cheating. You don't have to look for it. It's in practically every thread. That'll cure you.
Oh I don't think it is, just their board. Their fans are great people like most are.

Good for the Hawkeyes (Excluding the RBY-AD match). I want to see every wrestler perform to their best ability. That lifts the whole sport.

I was happy yesterday for them.

However that changes on moving day, today.

Now I want them and anyone else within an eyelash of us to lose.

Once we lock up the title tonight, sure Iowa and anyone else can have all the feel good Ws they want.

Win first, then praise your competition.

I'm sorry but I feel bad for their fans, they are excited to watch BORING wrestling. Lugo's match against 17-15 Blees was soooo boring, Lugo never shoots. Stoll's matches are the reason people leave when the heavyweights are still wrestling, Warner who they've hyped the last year and a half does nothing against a guy with double digit losses. We complain about Berge's offense, despite losing he's outscored HALF of their lineup... I know we are spoiled with the PSU mindset of constant attack, and I agree Iowa had a nice first day as far as wins go and overall I acknowledge they have great passion for the sport, but I can't feel good that a majority of Iowa's style is really hard to watch.
Had the pleasure of watching Stoll v Jennings last night. Matches like that set the sport back decades in a matter of 7 long minutes.

Being a fan is more fun if your rivals are at least a somewhat plausible threat. Of course you want to win but at least feel like there is some excitement and drama to get excited for.

I should be more excited about this NCAA tourney than I am. It just feels like for practical purposes PSU had it locked up before the season even started.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Iowas style is to stall their way to a 2-1 win regardless of how much better they are than their opponent. It's boring. It's wrong. Its killing the sport. It's like in football if you run the ball up the middle on every play, but fall down after 4 yards even if you could keep running. That's the Iowa "style".

I like to watch Desanto, Marinelli and Kemerer. Murin seems like good kid, but I can’t stand parts of his current style. Young is only a tiny step up, but again hard to root against for any other reason.

We’ll see how Warner reacts here. Tom seemed to be protecting his psyche early in the year, so today will be interesting.

I don’t think Wood is a bad matchup for Stoll, much like his first two tests. Nick would beat this Stoll easily.

It remains to be seen how their upper development is progressing, but Marinelli is definitely a good seed in that process.

I was glad to see Desanto display composure and sportsmanship after beating RBY and I hope it carries over into his losses too. I do like watching him and Spencer wrestle. I don't wish any ill will on Stoll but I can't say I want to see him succeed. That push tactic is ridiculous and indefensible. I'm very lukewarm about the rest of their wrestlers.

I don't see their program as being anywhere close to PSU's dark years. I mean they've been 3rd to what, 5th at worst every season? It's more that they aren't quite as dominant as days gone by and teams like PSU and OSU have greatly improved their programs. Their struggles are over exaggerated.

As for the fans, well, I respect IAChief.(and even that is somewhat dubious) That's about as nice of a thing as I can manage when it comes to their fans.

Reactions: lionlover
Yeah, other than RBY’s bout, good for them. Especially Murin and Stoll.

Murrin yes! Stoll hell no. He thinks he is a bulldozer out there not a wrestler. I wish the refs would enforce the rules, he makes no attempt to take down and pin his opponent. I'll take a Cassar night and day over Stoll's style.

Reactions: mcruny42
Murrin yes! Stoll hell no. He thinks he is a bulldozer out there not a wrestler. I wish the refs would enforce the rules, he makes no attempt to take down and pin his opponent. I'll take a Cassar night and day over Stoll's style.
I'm not really endorsing Stoll's style--just happy for the human, who's had a pretty rough career, and is making the most (so far) of his last dance. It's not like he was going to suddenly develop a nasty Hi-C or something. His 1st round match w/ Parris was very inconsistently officiated though, I'll give you that.

Last edited:

In the immortal words of the late philosopher, existential comedian, and podiatrist Brother Theodore, "SUCCESS IN OTHERS ALWAYS RUBS ME THE WRONG WAY."

My cousin is on their team/roster. I always ask for stories about the coaches and wrestlers and I’ve actually started to like most of them. Not too sure about the fans :)

Reactions: hlstone
It remains to be seen how their upper development is progressing, but Marinelli is definitely a good seed in that process.

Marinelli was a top 10 recruit coming out of high school. Therefore, the Iowa coaches have no influence in developing him or helping him to improve. He just shows up and has a chance to win titles. / sarcasm

But a surprisingly high number of internet Iowa fans truly believe this re: Cael, so the same line of thinking has to stand.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I like when all the long time great programs stay great and competitive.

I was always a Raiders fan since I was a kid. For me, couldnt top the Raiders/Chiefs rivalry and rooting for them to lose every game

If Iowa, PSU, OSu etc fell back to the pack for an extended period of time, it would deteriorate the sport for me.

It's why I love Lebron James because without him, Id have nobody to root against

Haha. Man if you think any of us Hawk fans (the logical ones anyway) wouldn't take Cassar's style over Stoll's 8 days a week you're crazy. 10 times more f*n to watch. Stoll is what he is. Pretty much has to wrestle the way he does based on his skill-set...or lack thereof.

Yesterday was a good day for us. Only favored in 2 out of 7 quarters this morning. Could be a rough Friday....or maybe....just maybe not o_O

Congrats on another 'ship by the way.

Would it be wrong to be happy if another team had success instead of Iowa?
Lock Haven, Oregon St, Lehigh?

Reactions: lionlover
Happy for their gracious fans.
I like to think that the internet brings out a minority of juveniles of one form or another, and that they represent a modest % of the total. I hope.
Heaven knows there are enough here, and worse so on the football boards, for sure.

The thing I really like about Iowa in today's world of college wrestling is that they are such a non team factor I can cheer for and enjoy Spencer's, Max's and Kaleb's success.

Iowas style is to stall their way to a 2-1 win regardless of how much better they are than their opponent. It's boring. It's wrong. Its killing the sport. It's like in football if you run the ball up the middle on every play, but fall down after 4 yards even if you could keep running. That's the Iowa "style".
wes wesley should hold a "boring camp" at carver arena, and the hawkeye wrestlers can be counselors.

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT