ADVERTISEMENT

is it too early to address the elephant in the room? is it RT?

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
or when 77 heals up everything will be fine? Start him with 59 as the back up?
or do you make changes?
do you leave 66 at C move 66 up the charts to RG and kick 70 out to RT?
or do you move 64 up to C, kick 66 to RG and kick 70 out to RT?
the question is who is your 6th best player is 77 remains out?
for the record I think 71 will be a good player, I dont think he is there yet.

My vote is, 77 can go, no changes 59 the back up.
77 out for a long period of time, I go with 64, 66, 70. I know that is 3 changes but that's how I see it.

Fries seemed to settle in as the game went on. I think the Iowa DE is a very good one and Nelson was having a really rough time with him. Wright was dressed but did not play, so I expect he will soon be available, just not sure how soon.

Just my guess but I do not feel Chaz Wright is going to miss much time.

If you re-watch the game and look at the sidelines you'll see 77 is full uniform. From past experience, if a guy has no chance of playing he is not even brought on a road trip, or if it's a game-time decision that he can not go, then he does not dress.

With Wright being in full uniform, my guess is that he was dinged up and the staff would only use him in an extreme emergency.

Fries seemed to settle in as the game went on. I think the Iowa DE is a very good one and Nelson was having a really rough time with him. Wright was dressed but did not play, so I expect he will soon be available, just not sure how soon.

yeah...Nelson couldn't contain his speed rush. Bad knee/legs? Maybe a different story next game. But we also didn't have our other LT so Fries was our third team LT. He played well in the second half when Nelson was pulled. I also thought that McS dropped too deep sometimes, Nelson seemed like he pushed the rusher out around the pocket but McS was right there. McS wasn't stepping up but back and to the right too often. There were also times when he ran between that DE and the rest as there were often big holes there. CJF said, post game, that Iowa ran what Indy did last year: bring the DE's hard and hope to cover the middle of the field with your LBers. That contains McS and mitigates long runs. We are going to see that again Saturday, and probably the rest of the season. I am sure they are working on it in tape review today.

A young, learning Fries (#71) is far better than a hobbled Nelson (#59). Fries did a serviceable job during the 2nd half. He just needs reps.

Last edited:
If you watch the last drive you will see that Fries could not block the end rush. McSorley was able to escape the rush more than once. He was only able to stop the end with Barkley's help.

If you watch the last drive you will see that Fries could not block the end rush. McSorley was able to escape the rush more than once. He was only able to stop the end with Barkley's help.

I agree. I think, if we play them again, we chip that kid. I think he surprised us.

First of all, great win. Cost me a few years off my life, but great win. Room for improvement offensively (600 yards should mean more than 21 points), but take the W and move on.

Right tackle - let's hope Chasz Wright is back soon. If not, play Fries. I know Nelson is a senior who has battled back from injury, but he was much more of a liability than an asset on Sat night. Fries will improve with more reps. Nelson has zero lateral quickness.

Reactions: BBrown
The DE was a dangerous pass rusher. I don't recall that he got to McSorely on the last drive.

If you look at the last play with the winning TD throw to Johnson, the OL blocking was superb and Barkley also did a great job on the blitzer.

The DE was a dangerous pass rusher. I don't recall that he got to McSorely on the last drive.

If you look at the last play with the winning TD throw to Johnson, the OL blocking was superb and Barkley also did a great job on the blitzer.
I know OSU and UM have DE's on par or better then the Iowa DE's. Not sure about the rest of the teams on our schedule.
Will have to do better against UM/OSU if we want to score points, and not get McSorely hurt

or when 77 heals up everything will be fine? Start him with 59 as the back up?
or do you make changes?
do you leave 66 at C move 66 up the charts to RG and kick 70 out to RT?
or do you move 64 up to C, kick 66 to RG and kick 70 out to RT?
the question is who is your 6th best player is 77 remains out?
for the record I think 71 will be a good player, I dont think he is there yet.

My vote is, 77 can go, no changes 59 the back up.
77 out for a long period of time, I go with 64, 66, 70. I know that is 3 changes but that's how I see it.
I find it interesting that Alex Gellerstedt (So/Fr) is listed as the #3 right tackle, but did not play in place of Wright or Nelson. After seeing him whiff on his block during Davis' field goal attempt I can understand a bit more as to why. The man he missed on the field goal attempt is the one who blocked the kick. The depth chart makes me chuckle a bit as Mike Miranda (Fr/Fr) is listed as the #2 left guard, but it is obvious that they are not going to play him. What is the point of listing him as the #2 there if you are going to redshirt him. This means that Steven Gonzalez is essentially going to play every snap this season and that is NOT a good plan. You have to spell him from time to time. If you have all five starters in the lineup- Bates, Gonzalez, McGovern, Mahon, and Wright- I know the #2s at every position except left guard. Who spells Gonzalez? Who replaces him if he gets hurt? I think it was telling against Ga State that rather than play Menet at RG they moved Gonzalez over to that spot and had Will Fries, a tackle, play LG. Fries has moved ahead of Menet in the list of offensive linemen- regardless of position. I guess Menet has just missed too much time over the past fourteen months to stay ahead of the curve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT