ADVERTISEMENT

Is Franklin's Coaching Style a fit for the physical B1G?

Richard the LIONhearted

May 29, 2001
I have to think that K. Ferentz will be pleased once he reviews the MSU game tape - that his Hawks will have a chance to play the same game against PS and feature their experienced QB and all Big Ten TE. Add in an element of revenge and that Iowa game is shaping up to be a real challenge.

Not real certain Franklin has built a rugged enough team, either with personnel or with attitude, to match-up with the cavemen teams of IA and WI. I think we are going to learn a lot about Franklin as a coach in these games against IA/MI/WI.

I have to think that K. Ferentz will be pleased once he reviews the MSU game tape - that his Hawks will have a chance to play the same game against PS and feature their experienced QB and all Big Ten TE. Add in an element of revenge and that Iowa game is shaping up to be a real challenge.

Not real certain Franklin has built a rugged enough team, either with personnel or with attitude, to match-up with the cavemen teams of IA and WI. I think we are going to learn a lot about Franklin as a coach in these games against IA/MI/WI.
We'll learn a lot about him from Indiana as well. That was suppose to be our trap game after an assured win, now it's a survival game. Regardless of how bad we think Indiana is, we are a fragile and wounded team right now. We are not going to play them from a position of emotional strength. Regarding your other point about "ruggedness", the SEC had plenty of teams in Franklin's experience for him to know how to bring and give it. He should not be surprised by ruggedness. Why this team is not showing it is a grand mystery. We'd all like to know. That's one of my great disappointments.

We’ve beaten Iowa each of the past two years, and won the conference two years ago beating Wisconsin in the process. I think the past two years have proven that this style is plenty “rugged” enough to win the conference.

Reactions: cavic and mn78psu83

We can win out and the complaint will be "where was we at in the two losses".

MSU didn't bulldog us. They didn't pound the rock. Took them until 3rd quarter to stop our run game. They made a game winning drive that we had no less than 2 chances to stop for sure. End of story.

Reactions: 81b&w and mn78psu83
Iowa and Wisconsin haven’t had much success and they’re in the weak division.

It's a genuine concern for sure. I agree. Mentioned it yesterday. Not sure WI has enough game, nor if Iowa will show up, but we'll find out soon enough.

We can win out and the complaint will be "where was we at in the two losses".

MSU didn't bulldog us. They didn't pound the rock. Took them until 3rd quarter to stop our run game. They made a game winning drive that we had no less than 2 chances to stop for sure. End of story.

Couple points. MSU had 9 more first downs and nearly a 9 minute advantage in time of possession.

Secondly, #24 had 17 carries for 162 yards of which 126 of those yards came from two big runs (excellent runs). The average for the rest of the carries is 2.4 yards.

MSU may not have "bull dogged" us, but they did something very right. One thing is pretty clear, they know how to play PSU tough....

Ummmm, he won the B1G 2 years ago or did you forget that before posting this nonsense. Is this a serious question you posed or a butt hurt post following a loss? No need to answer...I think most know.

Pssst, there are 4 decent programs in the east, you aren't winning it every year unless you start handing out Dodges to a bunch of bricks ala Bama style.

Reactions: john4psu
Couple points. MSU had 9 more first downs and nearly a 9 minute advantage in time of possession.

Secondly, #24 had 17 carries for 162 yards of which 126 of those yards came from two big runs (excellent runs). The average for the rest of the carries is 2.4 yards.

MSU may not have "bull dogged" us, but they did something very right. One thing is pretty clear, they know how to play PSU tough....
They came in with the number 1 rush defense in the country.

We had a terrible day on offense. Take away Sanders two runs and we don't score a TD yesterday. If we repeat this performance, the last 6 will be ugly.

We had a terrible day on offense. Take away Sanders two runs and we don't score a TD yesterday. If we repeat this performance, the last 6 will be ugly.
You can't take those runs away though. They were part of the offensive production on the day. On the 78 yard run PSU executed perfectly and Sanders had a four lane highway to run through. Give credit where credit is deserved. The other run had decent blocking at the point of attack and Sanders made a great individual effort and was aided by some fundamentally poor tackling by MSU. Big plays are an important part of offensive production. Until yesterday, other teams had not made any big plays running against MSU. But yeah, overall the O was lackluster.

You can't take those runs away though. They were part of the offensive production on the day. On the 78 yard run PSU executed perfectly and Sanders had a four lane highway to run through. Give credit where credit is deserved. The other run had decent blocking at the point of attack and Sanders made a great individual effort and was aided by some fundamentally poor tackling by MSU. Big plays are an important part of offensive production. Until yesterday, other teams had not made any big plays running against MSU. But yeah, overall the O was lackluster.

Merely pointing out our lack of a single good drive.

ADVERTISEMENT