ADVERTISEMENT

Is Bryson DeChambeau the most loved golfer on the tour right now??

Chambeau is a stud, no doubt. But give me john daly any day...love the everyman.

Brooks made him a "heel" in my opinion last year, with the attacks on slow play. I believe others joined in on the complaint about his pace. I think Bryson is more "heel" and people like heels. I know I do. Tiger is done, Phil is done, Speith can't play, Brooks was a flash in the pan, Johnson is too inconsistent, Thomas is a dick, and Rory don't care anymore. Bryson is going to be on top for the foreseeable future with the way he built his game.

speaking of Speith, what happened to him. He going to pull a David Duval and fade into nothing. Even when winning, you could tell he was off a little bit mentally. I could see how a guy like that could lose it. Didn't hear anything from Fowler this year either.

speaking of Speith, what happened to him. He going to pull a David Duval and fade into nothing. Even when winning, you could tell he was off a little bit mentally. I could see how a guy like that could lose it. Didn't hear anything from Fowler this year either.
IMO - he always scraped it around and made everything he looked at. Guy made more 25 foot putts for par than anyone this side of Faxon.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
He whines after every bad shot. I don’t like watching him play. He looks unnatural and I suspect he has had some chemicals helping him get so big. It’s not a good look.
I’m sure those chemicals helped his short game. Look at PSU football players if you want to see chemicals and getting big. You seem ok with that.

More Elkington on Bryson (interesting Golfing Machine reference - Mac O'Grady and Bobby Clampett were certainly deciples). Don't you golfers ever read the book. You'll go blind or start shanking everything.

Homer Kelly would be proud today.

iu

A quote on the book: "He applied the principles of Physics to golf and opened everyone's eyes to the seemingly infinite ways to swing the club." and "Some feel The Golfing Machine is the most important golf book ever written, while others believe it's the most complicated".

I think Rory had his period during the press conference. He needs to apologize, then shut it.

I think Rory is in the phase of career where he had huge success, made a ton of money enough for life, now is onto more family life and not really wanting to put in the huge time necessary to be #1 in the world. He can balance life and golf, make millions, still be a top player, and he should just be fine with that. Nothing wrong with it.

I think Rory had his period during the press conference. He needs to apologize, then shut it.
I will restate my original post that DeChambeau is the most interesting and important player on the tour. He will be forcing changes in golf course design and he is currently forcing changes in the players and their physical fitness.

I would think that Bryson’s fitness and strength will impact the more slight, smaller players like Spieth, and Fowler. Hard to chip and putt so much better than DJ, Bryson and Koepke to win an important championship.

I think people need to calm down a little on this. The guy has won six events. We've seen a lot of young players "flash" and then peter out. I love his unorthodox play. But the shot that won him the event was a 40 foot eagle put and his only real opponent melting down on the back nine (four over with a double).

I think BD was fortunate in several cases (getting some good bounces) and not having a galary played to his strengths. Most of the lies he had in the rough were fluffy and he could get the clubface behind the ball. If they had six in blades bent over and the ball lying on rock hard ground it would have been more difficult to get up and down from 130 yards with lightning-fast greens.

I will restate my original post that DeChambeau is the most interesting and important player on the tour. He will be forcing changes in golf course design and he is currently forcing changes in the players and their physical fitness.

I would think that Bryson’s fitness and strength will impact the more slight, smaller players like Spieth, and Fowler. Hard to chip and putt so much better than DJ, Bryson and Koepke to win an important championship.
My point about the presser was that Rory was mocking BD's length, while he finished ahead of him in driving distance.

I think people need to calm down a little on this. The guy has won six events. We've seen a lot of young players "flash" and then peter out. I love his unorthodox play. But the shot that won him the event was a 40 foot eagle put and his only real opponent melting down on the back nine (four over with a double).

I think BD was fortunate in several cases (getting some good bounces) and not having a galary played to his strengths. Most of the lies he had in the rough were fluffy and he could get the clubface behind the ball. If they had six in blades bent over and the ball lying on rock hard ground it would have been more difficult to get up and down from 130 yards with lightning-fast greens.
The one given which I would point to is that theRe seems to be enough data to show that the long hitters are the ones to beat on almost any layout on the tour. The diversity of playing styles of the past, has given way to the long ball hitters as the more likely to win players.

Reactions: Obliviax
The one given which I would point to is that theRe seems to be enough data to show that the long hitters are the ones to beat on almost any layout on the tour. The diversity of playing styles of the past, has given way to the long ball hitters as the more likely to win players.
Yep. David Graham won at Merion w/out hitting a wood the final round. Those days are long gone.

I agree. Reminds me of when Daly was hitting his driver beyond the hazards at "The Open" and Nack was in the booth and said, "he plays a game of which I am unfamiliar". Having said that, Bryson was the only player under par and the other long hitters weren't all that close. Wolff collapsed on the back nine largely due to inexperience and a little bad luck. BD hit at least two drives, that I saw, where he was very fortunate to have a shot to the green. Sometimes in golf, you just have to be a little lucky. Its like baseball, you try to do your thing as best you can. If you get a lucky bounce and happen to hole that long putt when the other guy lips out you win. Babe Ruth had the career record for strikeouts, Jordon missed something like 50 game winning shots, Jack played in 164 majors and won 18.

Last edited:

BD is an interesting player who is reaching a point in his career when he is going to be on the list of guys expected to contend every time he's in a tournament. I don't see this as even being close a to case like Tiger where the expectation was that if he was "on" or almost "on", he was all but unbeatable. There are several players the same age as BD or younger who have similar or better overall resumes and some younger guys (e.g. Wolff and Morikawa) who have the look of guys who are going to doing more than their share of winning. Both DJ and Rory are going to be there as will Koepka if he can manage to stay healthy. We may be entering a period of highly competitive golf.

Last edited:
IMHO, he has put on way too much weight too fast and it is going to bite him in the a$$ through injury sooner rather than later. The amount of torque he is putting his body through with these swings and the additional weight is going to have some part of his body break down.

I also saw his interview on Saturday when they were questioning him about his diet - he named everything he eats during the day and when asked the caloric intake, he hemmed and hawed and said it was around 3,000 - 3,500. That raised a couple of questions in my mind - first of all, he is known for being a very scientific, technical player on the course with all of his measurements, etc. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't know his daily caloric intake in this new way of life for him. Secondly, he probably underestimated his caloric intake by about half - that diet was easily 6,000 calories. Not sure if he was really didn't know or if he was purposely not being truthful.

There is a difference between what he has done with his body and what DJ/Tiger did with theirs - they are "long and lean" and got that way through a longer period of training. Bryson has done this (45 pound gain) to his body in about 90 days. I don't think it will be sustainable for long term health (no injuries).
I'm thinking the same thing. You cannot strengthen joints and tendons. They have a breaking point and he's going to find it.

I'm thinking the same thing. You cannot strengthen joints and tendons. They have a breaking point and he's going to find it.
You can increase tendon strength. Since there are relatively avascular, their development lags behind muscle growth. If injured their repair potential is reduced due to the avascularity. Joints should be more protected if you have strong muscles, and healthy tendons

Rory M was whining about BD putting, can someone explain what he's talking about?

He put on 20lbs of muscle in that time frame. Where is 60lbs coming from?? He was already 220 & is now 240.

Maybe my eyes deceive me but most of not all of that weight gain was right around his gut. I agree with PSUFBFAN, Bryson is flying high right now and all of these changes seemed to be working now, but I think this eventually catches up with him.

Brooks made him a "heel" in my opinion last year, with the attacks on slow play. I believe others joined in on the complaint about his pace. I think Bryson is more "heel" and people like heels. I know I do. Tiger is done, Phil is done, Speith can't play, Brooks was a flash in the pan, Johnson is too inconsistent, Thomas is a dick, and Rory don't care anymore. Bryson is going to be on top for the foreseeable future with the way he built his game.

We shall see.

No he is not, but he is the most important golfer on tour, I had some things to do yesterday afternoon, but I could not turn away from the last 90 minutes of the Rocket Golf Tourney in Motown.

Watching him hit his driver on average on the measurable holes > 350 yards is amazing. He hit his wedges pretty poorly and putted well enough to win the tournament. If he goes to the lab and he gets his wedge play to equal the rest of his game watch out.......

the only way that this goes negative is if he is cheating on the weight gain and if he pulled a Barry Bonds, otherwise he will be someone to reckon with for the next 15 years........

The tour has a lot of players that have gotten into much better shape than the players in the 60s and 70s but to compete with the Brysons and DJs and Brooks Koepka everyone is going to be getting a squat rack and a bench.

I like having somewhat of a villian on the PGA Tour.......and at least he seems to be playing faster. Not a hard club selction when you are hitting a lob wedge into every par four.
We were told in the 80’s not to work out because it was bad for your swing. I golfed in the summer and wrestled in the winter. I wouldn’t work out from late February until late October because we had spring and fall golf. How stupid I was for listening to these idiots back then.

I guess you missed the weight training and physical fitness that Koepka, DJ and others have been doing for the past several years. As I said elsewhere, have to tip your hat to him after his performance, but let’s see how this all pans out before we “crown”
him anything. For my money, when DJ is on top of his game, everyone else is playing for second place as he demonstrated during the 3 tournaments for the FedEx Cup.

Reactions: Nitwit
With respect to 350 yard plus drives and using an 8 iron from 200+ yards away, when does golf actually start to stop the craziness with balls and clubs. at a certain point, every 5-7 years having to completely remake a course to have it not be too short has to get old.

The graphite with the wound steel is pretty darn consistent. Bryson is the first pro to have all his clubs fitted with graphite shafts, including his putter. Snedecker and a few other pros are playing it in their irons. The technology is there for consistency. You don't get a "hot ball" like the graphite in the woods. I was thinking he should consider about getting away from the one length clubs in his highest lofted wedges. You know Bryson wants to make his wedge play better. He'll figure it out.

For this season, he's #2 in strokes gained driving, and around 23rd in strokes gained putting going into this past weekend. Only thing he sucked at was strokes gained in shots around the green. He was like 105th.

Interesting, he even has a graphite shaft in his putter. Just read about that a little this past year. Pretty salty cost, but apparently graphite shafts for putters torque LESS than steel which should increase accuracy.
http://www.golfwrx.com/598390/the-i...s-unique-la-golf-putter-shaft-at-the-players/

What's in his bag......
https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-witb-2020/

Apparently his wedge shafts are stiffer than steel, Codename- Rebar
http://www.golfwrx.com/575404/wrx-spotted-la-golf-shafts-rebar-wedge-shaft/

Bryson is now in the top ten in the World Golf Rankings.

I guess you missed the weight training and physical fitness that Koepka, DJ and others have been doing for the past several years. As I said elsewhere, have to tip your hat to him after his performance, but let’s see how this all pans out before we “crown”
him anything. For my money, when DJ is on top of his game, everyone else is playing for second place as he demonstrated during the 3 tournaments for the FedEx Cup.
I guess you skipped over post #53 in this thread where I stated that the long hitter Bryson, DJ and Brooks are the favorites.

With respect to 350 yard plus drives and using an 8 iron from 200+ yards away, when does golf actually start to stop the craziness with balls and clubs. at a certain point, every 5-7 years having to completely remake a course to have it not be too short has to get old.

I agree. I hate to sound like a "Bob Costas type purest" but at some point technology does change the integrity of a game.

God bless them but it is more about equipment than their work outs. I watched the senior overtime on 18 at peble. Both players teed up and hit drives at the tree in the middle of the fairway. Both players were challenged to get around that tree (both hit incredible third shots that landed less then 10 inches from the hole but one player made the putt and the other just missed).

I love a hole that makes you hit a five iron off the tee to keep from rolling into water. Then, on the next hole, makes you hit it 240 to clear water on a par 4. Golf today, is grip it and rip it. This event was won by a guy who pitched and putted better than almost anyone else but it helped that he was never longer than 150 on his approach shot (or so it seemed). He also got VERY lucky on two drives on the back nine: one hit almost exactly where Wolff's ball hit in the rough yet bounced left nto the fairway while Wolff's was deep in the rough and the second was a ball that went far left but the high grass (nobody trampling it down) kept it from running OOB.

The 1929 US Open was played at Winged Foot. The course was 6,786 and a par 72. This year's course was played at 7,477 yards as a par 70. In 91 years the course is 10.1% longer and the players had 2 less shots to play it in.

The outrage and alarm about having to rip up all the old courses is not true when you dig a little deeper

The 1929 US Open was played at Winged Foot. The course was 6,786 and a par 72. This year's course was played at 7,477 yards as a par 70. In 91 years the course is 10.1% longer and the players had 2 less shots to play it in.

The outrage and alarm about having to rip up all the old courses is not true when you dig a little deeper
So the tour will be returning to Westchester and the Open to Merion?

So the tour will be returning to Westchester and the Open to Merion?
Sounds like Merion is looking good for 2030 (although I was told that before Pinehurst landed 2029, which makes me think it would be another year).

Last edited:
2026 US Am at Merion. Don’t care about Westchester

The problem at Merion wasn't the course, it was space for spectators (there isn't much) and logistics. Getting to and moving around the course is difficult. It was a 40-45 minute ride for volunteer shuttles, and taking the train presented parking problems.

Reactions: cjrugger
Call me skeptical on his weight gain. He's juicing.

most guy with PEDs add lean muscle mass, that is why PEDs are so great. Like at Bryson and that isn't lean muscle mass he added, that is just bulk muscle. Leads me to belive PEDs were not involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT