ADVERTISEMENT

Is Bryson DeChambeau the most loved golfer on the tour right now??

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
No he is not, but he is the most important golfer on tour, I had some things to do yesterday afternoon, but I could not turn away from the last 90 minutes of the Rocket Golf Tourney in Motown.

Watching him hit his driver on average on the measurable holes > 350 yards is amazing. He hit his wedges pretty poorly and putted well enough to win the tournament. If he goes to the lab and he gets his wedge play to equal the rest of his game watch out.......

the only way that this goes negative is if he is cheating on the weight gain and if he pulled a Barry Bonds, otherwise he will be someone to reckon with for the next 15 years........

The tour has a lot of players that have gotten into much better shape than the players in the 60s and 70s but to compete with the Brysons and DJs and Brooks Koepka everyone is going to be getting a squat rack and a bench.

I like having somewhat of a villian on the PGA Tour.......and at least he seems to be playing faster. Not a hard club selction when you are hitting a lob wedge into every par four.

his drive on 18 was sick. What was it, 380 yards or something? reminds me of when Daly was driving the ball beyond the hazards in the British open and jack said "he plays a game of which I am unfamiliar" (which is a great quote but you also have to understand that Jack outdrove everyone in his day too).

He hit a 230 8 iron on the 580 yard par 5 17th. So basically he went driver (350) 8 iron (280) and was 15 feet away pin high. Missed the eagle putt but tapped in for birdie. I would look for more courses to overgrow the rough to make banging off the tee more or a risk.

Watching him hit his driver on average on the measurable holes > 350 yards is amazing. He hit his wedges pretty poorly and putted well enough to win the tournament. If he goes to the lab and he gets his wedge play to equal the rest of his game watch out.......

the only way that this goes negative is if he is cheating on the weight gain and if he pulled a Barry Bonds, otherwise he will be someone to reckon with for the next 15 years........

The tour has a lot of players that have gotten into much better shape than the players in the 60s and 70s but to compete with the Brysons and DJs and Brooks Koepka everyone is going to be getting a squat rack and a bench.

For years, the theme was weight training was not suitable or important for various sports like basketball and baseball, certainly not for golf. Mostly a myth?

A few announcers indicated DeChambeau should switch to steel shafts for his wedges as the flex of the graphite shafts is what is causing him to over hit his wedges. If he corrects that, then look out. But golf can be a fickle game and when your head isn’t right then your game isn’t either

No he is not, but he is the most important golfer on tour, I had some things to do yesterday afternoon, but I could not turn away from the last 90 minutes of the Rocket Golf Tourney in Motown.

I like having somewhat of a villian on the PGA Tour.......and at least he seems to be playing faster. Not a hard club selction when you are hitting a lob wedge into every par four.
IMHO, he has put on way too much weight too fast and it is going to bite him in the a$$ through injury sooner rather than later. The amount of torque he is putting his body through with these swings and the additional weight is going to have some part of his body break down.

I also saw his interview on Saturday when they were questioning him about his diet - he named everything he eats during the day and when asked the caloric intake, he hemmed and hawed and said it was around 3,000 - 3,500. That raised a couple of questions in my mind - first of all, he is known for being a very scientific, technical player on the course with all of his measurements, etc. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't know his daily caloric intake in this new way of life for him. Secondly, he probably underestimated his caloric intake by about half - that diet was easily 6,000 calories. Not sure if he was really didn't know or if he was purposely not being truthful.

There is a difference between what he has done with his body and what DJ/Tiger did with theirs - they are "long and lean" and got that way through a longer period of training. Bryson has done this (45 pound gain) to his body in about 90 days. I don't think it will be sustainable for long term health (no injuries).

Last edited:
Reactions: dcf4psu and CLWBT
Does the PGA do any PED testing?
I’d say it’s almost certain that he is taking more than just protein shakes steak and potatoes lol

IMHO, he has put on way too much weight too fast and it is going to bite him in the a$$ through injury sooner rather than later. The amount of torque he is putting his body through with these swings and the additional weight is going to have some part of his body break down.

I also saw his interview on Saturday when they were questioning him about his diet - he named everything he eats during the day and when asked the caloric intake, he hemmed and hawed and said it was round 3,000 - 3,500. That raised a couple of questions in my mind - first of all, he is known for being a very scientific, technical player on the course with all of his measurements, etc. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't know his daily caloric intake in this new way of life for him. Secondly, he probably underestimated his caloric intake by about half - that diet was easily 6,000 calories. Not sure if he was really didn't know or if he was purposely not being truthful.

There is a difference between what he has done with his body and what DJ/Tiger did with theirs - they are "long and lean" and got that way through a longer period of training. Bryson has done this (45 pound gain) to his body in about 90 days. I don't think it will be sustainable for long term health (no injuries).

Yeah the playing dumb on his diet when he is neurotic about everything else doesn't fly. If he really did put on 60 pounds in 45 days like someone else said, that's HGH and/or sauce - not just hitting the weights.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
I’d say it’s almost certain that he is taking more than just protein shakes steak and potatoes lol
That is the $1 Million question, has he had gained the weight in accordance with any PGA Guidelines? If not, no one will support him.

He whines after every bad shot. I don’t like watching him play. He looks unnatural and I suspect he has had some chemicals helping him get so big. It’s not a good look.

For years, the theme was weight training was not suitable or important for various sports like basketball and baseball, certainly not for golf. Mostly a myth?
Weight training for your lower body and core are essential in todays uber competitive golf world. The jury is still out on vast upper body training but Bryson might be changing thinking on this. His application of football nutrition table to golf is interesting. Still not sure how he did this in such a short period of time. I'm more impressed with his accuracy than length. When he dials in his wedge game it will be hard to beat.

Reactions: katchthis
He hit a 230 8 iron on the 580 yard par 5 17th. So basically he went driver (350) 8 iron (280) and was 15 feet away pin high. Missed the eagle putt but tapped in for birdie. I would look for more courses to overgrow the rough to make banging off the tee more or a risk.
PGA’s gotta go retro on equipment philosophy. USGa can talk about amateur playability, but unless pga wants to build a set of tour only courses, the technology will render the classics obsolete. If it hasn’t already.

I don't think there is anything that needs done. Everyone is playing the same course. Golf doesn't have a record book like baseball where accomplishments are measured. They measure in number of wins. They will also mention how many strokes they win by. Others records have little significance. I think Hank Kuehn (2003) still holds the record at around 321 yards (I could be wrong on this one).

It is interesting that DeChambeau just decided that only distance matters and he has set up his game to prove it.

He embarrassed himself when he bitched at the cameraman and made it worse when he offered a lame excuse about not wanting the camera on him when he makes an error.

The only reason these jabronies make the kind of money they make is because cameras and television have made them popular. Take them away, and these guys are just another good golfer spending 4 plus hours trying to play golf at a high level.

He is a very good player, can hit the ball a mile and apparently lacks the sophistication to understand why he makes so much money.

Reactions: whart
He put on 20lbs of muscle in that time frame. Where is 60lbs coming from?? He was already 220 & is now 240.

Someone above said 45 in 90 days. I'll fix my post. Clkse to 8oz of lean body mass per day is unreal though

I thought I heard it was 5" long rough in Detroit.

I don't think there is anything that needs done. Everyone is playing the same course. Golf doesn't have a record book like baseball where accomplishments are measured. They measure in number of wins. They will also mention how many strokes they win by. Others records have little significance. I think Hank Kuehn (2003) still holds the record at around 321 yards (I could be wrong on this one).

It is interesting that DeChambeau just decided that only distance matters and he has set up his game to prove it.
Read every shot counts. It analyses all the shot link data. The long ball is king.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Weight training for your lower body and core are essential in todays uber competitive golf world. The jury is still out on vast upper body training but Bryson might be changing thinking on this. His application of football nutrition table to golf is interesting. Still not sure how he did this in such a short period of time. I'm more impressed with his accuracy than length. When he dials in his wedge game it will be hard to beat.
His strength training coach, stressed that obliques are essential for golf, and generating torque.

A few announcers indicated DeChambeau should switch to steel shafts for his wedges as the flex of the graphite shafts is what is causing him to over hit his wedges. If he corrects that, then look out. But golf can be a fickle game and when your head isn’t right then your game isn’t either

The graphite with the wound steel is pretty darn consistent. Bryson is the first pro to have all his clubs fitted with graphite shafts, including his putter. Snedecker and a few other pros are playing it in their irons. The technology is there for consistency. You don't get a "hot ball" like the graphite in the woods. I was thinking he should consider about getting away from the one length clubs in his highest lofted wedges. You know Bryson wants to make his wedge play better. He'll figure it out.

For this season, he's #2 in strokes gained driving, and around 23rd in strokes gained putting going into this past weekend. Only thing he sucked at was strokes gained in shots around the green. He was like 105th.

Interesting, he even has a graphite shaft in his putter. Just read about that a little this past year. Pretty salty cost, but apparently graphite shafts for putters torque LESS than steel which should increase accuracy.
http://www.golfwrx.com/598390/the-i...s-unique-la-golf-putter-shaft-at-the-players/

What's in his bag......
https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-witb-2020/

Apparently his wedge shafts are stiffer than steel, Codename- Rebar
http://www.golfwrx.com/575404/wrx-spotted-la-golf-shafts-rebar-wedge-shaft/

Bryson is now in the top ten in the World Golf Rankings.

Last edited:
Yeah the playing dumb on his diet when he is neurotic about everything else doesn't fly. If he really did put on 60 pounds in 45 days like someone else said, that's HGH and/or sauce - not just hitting the weights.
Only way I could see it done is HGH. Hard to fathom how this all happened so quickly. Time will eventually reveal the truth.

Reactions: fkkkjm
Yes there is testing, including PEDs. Usually just urine, but they can request blood samples.
The Tour’s policy says athletes can be tested through the collection of blood or urine samples. It tests athletes in and outside competition and all testing is done without prior notice to the players.

Drug Free Sport administers the Tour’s anti-doping program and also the programs for the NCAA, MLB, NFL, NBA, LPGA and NASCAR.

DeChambeau outlined his usual diet:

Breakfast
4 eggs
5 pieces of bacon
toast
2 protein shakes

Midday
PB&J sandwich
GoMacro bar "here and there"
2 shakes mid-round or every 6 holes.
"Snacking" when practicing after

Dinner:
Steak
Potatoes
2 shakes

He estimates he is between 3,000 and 3,500 cals per day.

I liken it to NFL Olinemen. Some have to stuff to maintain their size while others have to diet. Faneca went from 320 to 220. David Pollack played at 260 and he is 220 now. I really believe with pro-training you can pack on a lot of weight.

He put on 20lbs of muscle in that time frame. Where is 60lbs coming from?? He was already 220 & is now 240.

Are you referring to the “muscle” I saw around his gut? He sure is playing great right now, but I’m not so sure this is a great thing for his long-term health, but I guess we will find out, huh?

There’s a zero.zero percent chance he’s on any type of PED. He knew he had a target on his back in the past and knew it would grow with this plan. He’s 26, has unlimited financial resources, was stuck in his house for 3 months, and has a world class ability to focus, believe in and execute a plan.

DeChambeau outlined his usual diet:

Breakfast
4 eggs
5 pieces of bacon
toast
2 protein shakes

Midday
PB&J sandwich
GoMacro bar "here and there"
2 shakes mid-round or every 6 holes.
"Snacking" when practicing after

Dinner:
Steak
Potatoes
2 shakes

He estimates he is between 3,000 and 3,500 cals per day.

I liken it to NFL Olinemen. Some have to stuff to maintain their size while others have to diet. Faneca went from 320 to 220. David Pollack played at 260 and he is 220 now. I really believe with pro-training you can pack on a lot of weight.

Reactions: rudedude
they were talking about this on the PGA channel yesterday. BD, they said, is 100% focused on speed and distance. He is simply hitting the ball beyond the hazards. even if he hits it far left or right on a 480 yard par four, he is still only 130 yards from the hole. Unless he's in the water, he is still a pitch and a put away from a birdie. Worst case is that he has to chip into a fairway and has a 50 yard pitch for shot #3 and still has a 85% chance of par. They were saying it is more about tech as the penalty for hitting on the toe or heel, or with an open face, is minimal. You still get 350 yards and no penalty as long as you are in bounds and dry. In addition, with no gallery, the penalty is even less. They were imploring the PGA to pass equipment guidelines for PGA tour pros.

Last edited:
they were talking about this on the PGA channel yesterday. BK, they said, is 100% focused on speed and distance. He is simply hitting the ball beyond the hazards. even if he hits it far left or right on a 480 yard par four, he is still only 130 yards from the hole. Unless he's in the water, he is still a pitch and a put away from a birdie. Worst case is that he has to chip into a fairway and has a 50 yard pitch for shot #3 and still has a 85% chance of par. They were saying it is more about tech as the penalty for hitting on the toe or heel, or with an open face, is minimal. You still get 350 yards and no penalty as long as you are in bounds and dry. In addition, with no gallery, the penalty is even less. They were imploring the PGA to pass equipment guidelines for PGA tour pros.
The bombers are flying over the primary defense of the course in fairway bunkers and hazards. The green complex needs to be a Donald Ross or Augusta design to keep these guys in check until some other plan is in place. Rough is a bitch, but a lot easier to hit a wedge out of it than a 6 iron.
Scores in the majors haven't gotten too crazy. If we have a few all time records in the majors, changes would happen quickly IMO.

Reactions: Obliviax
The bombers are flying over the primary defense of the course in fairway bunkers and hazards. The green complex needs to be a Donald Ross or Augusta design to keep these guys in check until some other plan is in place. Rough is a bitch, but a lot easier to hit a wedge out of it than a 6 iron.
Scores in the majors haven't gotten too crazy. If we have a few all time records in the majors, changes would happen quickly IMO.

Well when they get their asses kicked by a major they all whine about how unfair the layout is!!!

The "science" of sport specific physical conditioning is finally being witnessed in Golf. For many years athletes have done sport-specific conditioning. Whether it's for football, basketball, baseball.... athletes would have trainers develop physical conditioning plans specific to their sport. For many years, the popular belief with Golf was that you did not want to get too "big" or too "bulky" because excess body size or excess muscle actually slowed down the Golf swing. But now, sport-science has changed. It has evolved into the ability for Golfers to develop muscle, body mass & strength at the same time increasing flexibility for insane levels of club head speed & force.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
ADVERTISEMENT