ADVERTISEMENT

Is anyone else concerned about Franklin’s repeated dependency on his “coaching notebook”?

PeetzPoolBoy

Sep 24, 2013
To me, effective coaching requires the “hands-on involvement” in (a) game planning, (b) practice instruction and (c) intra-game adjustments and not some crutch assemblage of three-hole punched pages inserted into a 4” binder.

Last edited:
To me, effective coaching involves “hands-on involvement” in (a) game planning, (b) practice instruction and (c) intra-game adjustments and not some crutch assemblage of three-hole punched pages inserted into a 4” binder.
No. Not at all.

To me, effective coaching involves the “hands-on involvement” in (a) game planning, (b) practice instruction and (c) intra-game adjustments and not some crutch assemblage of three-hole punched pages inserted into a 4” binder.

I eluded to the emotional disconnect in an earlier Post today. I like a lot about this coach but his textbook approach and notebook references are void of instinct. Reading the psychology of the teams in the moment and making decisions of the fly is crucial to being a good coach and field general. A notebook is of no value at specific game circumstances.

Reactions: Fizz1
He's great everything but X and O's coach and in game manager of clock and situational football. While the talent and some things have covered this up, year after year in his tenure he has blown games due to this.

Nothing has changed other than more success but I've said it for years here and get blasted by many. He's a fine coach and there is much more to coaching in college than X's and O'x but he is not to me even an average situational football coach and it rears its head at some of the most important times. The closer the game the more it rears its head.

To me, effective coaching involves “hands-on involvement” in (a) game planning, (b) practice instruction and (c) intra-game adjustments and not some crutch assemblage of three-hole punched pages inserted into a 4” binder.

Every coach of value has one. I sure do. Store what you learn. Plays, drills, contacts, formations, practice plans, various thoughts, etc. When Bill OBrien showed up for his interview he had a several inch high notebook with his plan to build a program at PSU.

As long as it doesn't conjure up images of this for him.

Link

7988c90dcd6dca14a224ff31c52a2ece--coaches-do-you.jpg

Last edited:
No. It's a common theme for aspiring successful coaches. CJF has shown the ability to change (OC and OL coaches as examples) after giving things time to work or not. I trust he sees the problem with the running game and will make a change at some point.

To me, effective coaching requires the “hands-on involvement” in (a) game planning, (b) practice instruction and (c) intra-game adjustments and not some crutch assemblage of three-hole punched pages inserted into a 4” binder.
Do you coach at the high school or higher level?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT