ADVERTISEMENT

Is 2022 PSU a run first team?

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
1) Yards leader Singleton has twice as many rush yards as the receiving yards leader Strange and twice as many TDs as Tinsley (and Kaytron Allen who are next, discounting Clifford's 3 rushing TDs).

2) 105 carries to 70 completions (on 106 attempts).

Maybe we are just a balanced offense but the passing game is much more spread out amongst many while the running game is the freshmen phenoms.

I think that we are becoming a much better offense. Just knowing that you can run it or throw it makes us better at doing both. The new backs seem to have ignited something in the line which has helped everything. Hopefully the line continues to improve and we can dictate what we want to do and when we want to do it, especially against lesser opponents. Scheme wise, i think that we are better and have much more going on to confuse defenses. Fashanyu is a stud. Scruggs is a much better center than guard and playing really well. Tengwell will be great and is getting over learning curve quickly. Wormley would have really helped the line last season. Wallace is great at moving people, but has problems keeping those feet going on speed rushes. He seems to get to a spot and stops his feet. Then the guy runs right past him and he doesn't have the quickness to get that big body moving again. Like others have said, he is a guard trying to play the edge. The problem will be that most teams will put their best pass rushers over the right tackle as going against Fashanu is a losing battle. I was surprised that Auburn didn't put #28 on the left side. Offensive tackle is probably the third most difficult spot to play behind QB and Corner. I do not believe that Effner is the answer as a starter at RT. Nice player to have available and really contributes but not as a fulltime starter. I could be totally wrong.

We seem to be pulling more, trapping, using tight ends as lead blockers (fullbacks) and going with power sets with Clifford under center and the back 7 - 9 yards back. My how things have changed. Hopefully we can keep it up and force our will on some opponents. I would like to see us take the ball and run it down the throats of directional Michigan this week. Nothing fancy, just power football. Show nothing but violence on "O" and "D". Of course, 79 would be great at that and no one would have anything to complain about.

1) Yards leader Singleton has twice as many rush yards as the receiving yards leader Strange and twice as many TDs as Tinsley (and Kaytron Allen who are next, discounting Clifford's 3 rushing TDs).

Maybe we are just a balanced offense but the passing game is much more spread out amongst many while the running game is the freshmen phenoms.
Hard to say. Two games were blowouts where we had no need to throw a lot. And every game we played the freshman Qb a substantial amount of time so we weren’t gonna let him air it out too much.

And having 5 runs over forty yards tilts the stats a bit.

Reactions: Online Persona
I think that we are becoming a much better offense. Just knowing that you can run it or throw it makes us better at doing both. The new backs seem to have ignited something in the line which has helped everything. Hopefully the line continues to improve and we can dictate what we want to do and when we want to do it, especially against lesser opponents. Scheme wise, i think that we are better and have much more going on to confuse defenses. Fashanyu is a stud. Scruggs is a much better center than guard and playing really well. Tengwell will be great and is getting over learning curve quickly. Wormley would have really helped the line last season. Wallace is great at moving people, but has problems keeping those feet going on speed rushes. He seems to get to a spot and stops his feet. Then the guy runs right past him and he doesn't have the quickness to get that big body moving again. Like others have said, he is a guard trying to play the edge. The problem will be that most teams will put their best pass rushers over the right tackle as going against Fashanu is a losing battle. I was surprised that Auburn didn't put #28 on the left side. Offensive tackle is probably the third most difficult spot to play behind QB and Corner. I do not believe that Effner is the answer as a starter at RT. Nice player to have available and really contributes but not as a fulltime starter. I could be totally wrong.

We seem to be pulling more, trapping, using tight ends as lead blockers (fullbacks) and going with power sets with Clifford under center and the back 7 - 9 yards back. My how things have changed. Hopefully we can keep it up and force our will on some opponents. I would like to see us take the ball and run it down the throats of directional Michigan this week. Nothing fancy, just power football. Show nothing but violence on "O" and "D". Of course, 79 would be great at that and no one would have anything to complain about.
The change in scheme is huge. The line can be far more aggressive, which lineman love. Now they can go across the line of scrimmage and block linebackers and d backs. And the backs have the option to go right or left of center which the RPO did not allow.....forcing the d to cover the whole field. Major improvement for run blocking. And running a line friendly scheme should even help in recruiting.

The closer to balanced we can be, the more dangerous we can be. —94’ was balanced…94’ was dangerous.
—This years team is obviously not 94’ , but the correlation is clear: more balance=More wins

Reactions: lazydave841

Perhaps that's because most snaps have 5 potential pass receivers and only 2 backs likely to run from scrimmage.

.. Scheme wise, i think that we are better and have much more going on to confuse defenses. Fashanyu is a stud. Scruggs is a much better center than guard and playing really well. Tengwell will be great and is getting over learning curve quickly. Wormley would have really helped the line last season. Wallace is great at moving people, but has problems keeping those feet going on speed rushes. ...

We seem to be pulling more, trapping, using tight ends as lead blockers (fullbacks) and going with power sets with Clifford under center and the back 7 - 9 yards back. ...
Very good summary by @Ward Hog . Watched the game tape and tried to notice the line play. Especially impressed by #58 Tengwall -- playing with confidence. He really gets out quick when he pulls and engages a defender effectively.

Against Auburn the OL was opening some nice holes, something they haven't been doing as we all know. Lee and Ford both had long runs because the OL is FINALLY opening up running lanes. I know Nick has homerun speed, and turns a 20 yard gain into a 50+, but the credit should go to the OL. It's very exciting to watch a good running game for a change.

I recall the BTN crew of Revsine, DiNardo, etc. had pretty much written off the PSU run game after the Purdue game (net 98 yards rushing). Comments to the effect of -- well, this is what we've seen of PSU on the ground for a few years, not likely to change much, blah, blah.

They have changed their tune.

Very good summary by @Ward Hog . Watched the game tape and tried to notice the line play. Especially impressed by #58 Tengwall -- playing with confidence. He really gets out quick when he pulls and engages a defender effectively.
What I noticed about Tengwekl, when he pulls he does not look to bury his guy, he positions himself so that he shields the defender from getting to the runner.

at some point would like to see him pancake his guy he seems to rely on a quick start and then position. Reminds me of a larger Jeff Hartings.

Reactions: Ward Hog
I don't know, but blood starts to circulate to my nether-regions when they line up with the QB under center with 2+ tight ends. Love it.

Balance is the key, however, take what the defense gives you.

Last edited:

Not for nothing, but you're completely ignoring that PSU is averaging 293 Passing YPG and only 192 Rushing YPG. The place where PSU has remained truly "balanced" is in play selection, PSU has run 211 plays - 106 pass plays, 105 run plays. So the stats suggest they are much more, "take what the defensive scheme is giving you". If the defense is going to play Neutral or "Base" - 4 DL, 3LBs playing somewhat soft (with either zone coverage assignment or man responsibility for 2 eligible receivers - usually the Single Back and TE), Cover 2 w/ 2 CBs (with zone responsibility or man responsibility for 3 receivers 2 WRs and slot-back/flanker - 2CBs and FS... SS plays centerfielder and provides deep help where needed), then yes, PSU will probably favor the run.

Most defenses these days (especially b1g defenses) will press the LOS so teams are never able to establish a run - 10 of the 14 teams are allowing 100 yards or less Rushing YPG (11th is MD and they're only allowing 118 Rushing YPG). When teams load the box (sellout to stop the run), you have to take what they're giving and make them pay with the pass.... and back them off the LOS (PSU did a great job of this in the Iowa game last year until Cliff got hurt in the middle of 2nd QTR - PSU had Iowa's defense on it's heels).

ADVERTISEMENT