ADVERTISEMENT

Ironman

Are there PSU commits in the Ironman field? Too bad the official Ironman thread from BillyTickets is no longer available;)

No commits that I am aware of but a few potential targets for sure (Bartlett, Amos, Ferrari, plus others I am sure)

Reactions: JimNazium
Smalls, Cranberry Twp has 32,000 people, and that is only one township making up Seneca Valley. I was going to try to get you a key to the City when you were at NCAA in March, not now.

Reactions: smalls103
He's a local kid (for me in the Richmond, va area). Fun to watch. Older brother was good in H.S. too!

yeah Alex was really good but not the national level type that Jackson is, the old man was pretty tough back in the day as well.

Bartlett lost twice going for 5th now

Van Ness wins it after winning S32 as well

Last edited:
Holy ass kickin, Schultz had 4 first MINUTE pins?? Isnt he the guy that beat Seth in Cali finals last year?

I get the concern with Seth not being very active in open tournaments. I have seen he finished runner up to a pretty good hwt from Pitt and he only lost 3-1 to Shultz having missed a headlock in the first period. I would hope if we go after another hwt both come in and sees what happens. With the new transfer rule they a transfer is much easier.

Wow. I agree full court press on Van Ness.

He is super impressive I'll agree, but for the most part I try not to get too excited about sophomores. Their bodies change and they can go in either direction over the next 2 years. Carson Manville had been unbeatable until .... this past week. I still think he is a stud, maybe he was sick. Teasdale looked like the second coming of Spencer Lee as a Sophomore, as a senior not so much, granted still great but at least he came down to earth a bit his senior year and looked mortal again. Even my fav Bartlett is starting to show more chinks in his armor.

This is where Cael makes me and some other D1 coaches look like fools. He has an amazing eye for talent that goes a bit beyond accolades and rankings. I.e. Despite the ranking I am sure he saw with his teaching, Bo was going to be better than MiMar despite what the rest of the wrestling community saw.

Reactions: tabenn
This is where Cael makes me and some other D1 coaches look like fools. He has an amazing eye for talent that goes a bit beyond accolades and rankings. I.e. Despite the ranking I am sure he saw with his teaching, Bo was going to be better than MiMar despite what the rest of the wrestling community saw.
The rest of the wrestling community thought MiMar was going to be better than Nickal? That's news to me.

He was ranked higher in internet and flo
@smalls103

Is either of these statements true -- was Martin ranked ahead of Bo by either service at that time? The wrestling community (whoever that is) projected Martin to have the better college career?

Also did the rankings even correlate to that? IIRC some rankings aren't college projections, they're largely who you beat. (Strength of schedule presumably would favor east coast prep school Martin over Texas public school Bo.)

@smalls103

Is either of these statements true -- was Martin ranked ahead of Bo by either service at that time? The wrestling community (whoever that is) projected Martin to have the better college career?

Also did the rankings even correlate to that? IIRC some rankings aren't college projections, they're largely who you beat. (Strength of schedule presumably would favor east coast prep school Martin over Texas public school Bo.)

Remember that from a class recruiting ranking standpoint Bo and MyMar were not in the same class. In any case pretty sure most (maybe all) rankings had them both in the top 10 in their class.

Reactions: danoftw
I can't find Flo's overall P4P rankings for Bo's class but he was #1 at his weight. I am guessing he was top 5 overall , prob behind Nolf, Snyder and Chance?
For MyMar's year, Flo had the Valencias 1 & 2, Cenzo 3, Massa 4 and I believe MyMar 5. Others of note: Joe Smith at 7 and Kem at 9

If MyMar wins a 2nd title, that is a great career with no redshirt and by all accounts he appears to be a fine young man too

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5042655-2015-recruiting-class-rankings

Both were ranked in the top 10 overall however MyMar was rated a little higher for his class in all of the recruiting rankings. Generally speaking I think most people considered MyMar a little better prospect and as silly as it sounds now, some even questioned whether a wrestler from Texas could be elite at the next level.

Last edited:
I had interpreted the original point as where Bo and Martin were ranked after Bo's HS SO year, not after his SR year.

That's why I asked for Willie to fact check.

Bo's RedFrosh and MyMar's Frosh year when they wrestled in the NLO and MyMar's dad was very defensive about his son being better than Bo, before and after.
It has always been my impression Bo has cast a slight shadow across MyMar and his accomplishments, before and during college.
I could be very much mistaken, but that has always been my perception.

Iowa State got themselves a Stud...he majored Abas, that’s insane
With all that New Jersey/ EasternPA talent going anywhere but Rutgers, if I was a Scarlet Knight wrestling fan I would be pulling my freaking hair out.

Or finally understanding that they need a new head coach. :D
Just my take, but I have to believe the next coach is not on the current staff. So wait until after 2020 Olympic cycle is complete and even though nobody has the coaching experience there are multiple choices that provide immediate pizzazz. Hire a strong staff and see what happens.

Just my take, but I have to believe the next coach is not on the current staff. So wait until after 2020 Olympic cycle is complete and even though nobody has the coaching experience there are multiple choices that provide immediate pizzazz. Hire a strong staff and see what happens.

Becahi just got a better head coach than Rutgers this off season in Coach Thompson

Becahi just got a better head coach than Rutgers this off season in Coach Thompson

I don't know if Rutgers needs a coach who conducts boxing matches in the wrestling room, though. ;)

https://www.mcall.com/sports/varsit...lehem-catholic-head-coach-20180614-story.html

"His second stint ended in 1995, despite impassioned pleas from his wrestlers and their parents for the school board to pardon him for conducting boxing matches in the wrestling room, a practice Thompson admitted was excessive and swore he would never do again. Nevertheless, he was fired then too."

Reactions: jschrantz
Molinaro

I don't know if Rutgers needs a coach who conducts boxing matches in the wrestling room, though. ;)

https://www.mcall.com/sports/varsit...lehem-catholic-head-coach-20180614-story.html

"His second stint ended in 1995, despite impassioned pleas from his wrestlers and their parents for the school board to pardon him for conducting boxing matches in the wrestling room, a practice Thompson admitted was excessive and swore he would never do again. Nevertheless, he was fired then too."
Success at BECA requires elite recruiting.

Success at BECA requires elite recruiting.

Yes, like everywhere , sometimes public schools even have to recruit from within just to get some kids to come out. Sometimes fellow wrestlers are the best recruiters in high school

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT