ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

I forgot how much I hate most musicals until i watched your video. There are very few reasons anyone should spontaneously burst into song.
I forgot how much I hate most musicals until i watched your video. There are very few reasons anyone should spontaneously burst into song.
The Music Man as I am sure you know won the golden globe in 62 and is still playing today on Broadway with Hugh Jackman as prof Harold Hill - get your tickets. I am sure Meredith Wilson's heirs are still receiving a healthy residual check. A theater critic your not:)

Reactions: PSUHarry33
I played all the sports I could in HS and FB and BB in college but when my 118 lb college buddy flipped me on my can ( I weighed 230+) that was enough for me to never mess with a all american caliber wrestler:)

Agree...team wrestling titles are nice when you can crown several champs on Saturday night...otherwise, it must be kind of bittersweet.:cool:
To Iowa's credit, Spencer was probably the most dominant champ and without ACLs to boot. I hope we have some more point scorers this year, and all four champs can repeat. I haven't been to the wrestling board in a little bit - I was hearing some concerns about potential NIL deals being denied by the administration.

I find this interesting - ESPN has Iowa #3 in it's power rankings (we're #5):
ESPN: "When Iowa's offense shows up, the Hawkeyes are a playoff contender. They gained 440 yards and put up 30 points on Kent State, and that was more than enough for an Iowa defense that sacked Golden Flashes quarterback Dustin Crum seven times (Lukas Van Ness and Joe Evans led the way with two each)."

247Sports: Hawkeyes running back Tyler Goodson pounded the opposition into submission with 153 yards rushing and three touchdowns as Iowa once again separated itself from the rest of its side of the Big Ten with another dominant performance. Kirk Ferentz sees something special in this year's team and rightfully so with stellar play on both sides of the football up to this point.

The defense is great, but the offense has hardly been stellar. Maybe they were Saturday - I didn't see it. But it seems a lot of people nationally are invested in this narrative of Iowa being great. Maybe it's just that everyone's tired of the usual suspects in the playoff. I guess we'll see how it goes.
I'm a bit confused... when did putting up 30 points and 440 yards on Kent State become a big deal? As a comparison, TAMU (despite 5 TO's) had 595 yards of O and threw 41 up there. Not a knock on Iowa per se but i'm trying to understand how some "analyst" is ok using KS as a measurement of Iowa's success and to state that this somehow sets them apart from other teams (aka wisky) in the west. Then again, it's E fing SPN.

Reactions: Option Bob
Don't let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant. I don't see anyone on the Iowa paid board bad mouthing PSU ( if it was Nebraska that would be a different story) Iowa people if anything are too nice and I have never witnessed a hostile act toward any visitors at Kinnick. We have an open message board that is a haven for imbeciles it is like reading comments on AOL message sites-complete garbage .Go there at your own risk as the purpose it to incite drama. Thank god a very minute percentage of people live their lives on these boards ( I am guilty but I am retired :) ) If you can't respect one of your own (Ferentz ) and appreciate the job he does with his little band of 2 and 3 star players against all the 4-5 star guys then you don't appreciate the beauty of football.
Iowa is- hands down- my least favorite state in the union. They have an odd level of arrogance that I’ve never understood..

I'm a bit confused... when did putting up 30 points and 440 yards on Kent State become a big deal? As a comparison, TAMU (despite 5 TO's) had 595 yards of O and threw 41 up there. Not a knock on Iowa per se but i'm trying to understand how some "analyst" is ok using KS as a measurement of Iowa's success and to state that this somehow sets them apart from other teams (aka wisky) in the west. Then again, it's E fing SPN.
I think the point was that with the D they won't need that many points. Iowa's philosophy has pretty much been first to 24 wins.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I think the point was that with the D they won't need that many points. Iowa's philosophy has pretty much been first to 24 wins.
I think you are correct.. just an odd way to make it (at least in my eyes). Pick a better team at least :)

For whatever reason, I've really started to dislike Iowa over the last ten years. I don't mind Kirk Ferentz, he's pretty mild mannered and does more with less. Maybe it was the way they treat guests, especially us in 2012 - they seem to have a really classless fanbase. There was also the racism scandal, with a bunch of former players saying the staff was discriminatory. They also play a cake schedule every year, but never seem to win anything ever.

Iowa is a school that should pray the BIG never realigns because they will fall into mediocrity-bottom barrel pretty quickly.
We've won the Big more times than you have since you joined it and you have a you have a 1 game edge on us since joining the league. Both teams have had long streaks against the other. Both team are very similar success wise since PSU has joined the Big.

We've won the Big more times than you have since you joined it and you have a you have a 1 game edge on us since joining the league. Both teams have had long streaks against the other. Both team are very similar success wise since PSU has joined the Big.
Unless my math is waaaaaaaaay off………
4(94,05,08,16) is greater than 2(‘02 and ‘03).
Don’t let facts get in your way, though.

If they are as knowledgeable as the Iowa fan the cohosts the Bigger Ten podcast (who claims that Penn State’s defensive backfield is very suspect), it’s going to be a long two weeks.
Wait …..what????? That’s like saying Tom Brady is not a clutch player.

Did that dude fall off a combine onto his head at harvest time?

This is the best DB group we’ve had since 86-87 IMHO

Unless my math is waaaaaaaaay off………
4(94,05,08,16) is greater than 2(‘02 and ‘03).
Don’t let facts get in your way, though.

And they shared 02 with national champ osu after ducking them in the regular season and in 04 (not 03) they shared it with a Michigan team they lost to because the big ten likes everyone to get a trophy.

1990 was a four way tie (more trophies).

1985 is the last time they won a title outright.

Last edited:
Reactions: odshowtime
??????
Lol you just made that up??

PSU joined league play in 1993...
4 Big Ten championships
1994 - PSU - 12-0 - first unbeaten B10 champ since 1968 - beat Iowa 61-21 - Rose Bowl Champ - #2 behind Nebraska sympathy vote
2005 - PSU - 11-1 - didn't play Iowa (co-champ) - Orange Bowl Champ - #3
2008 - PSU - 11-2 - lost to Iowa by 1 pt in Kinnick - Rose Bowl Runner-up - #8 final
2016 - PSU - 11-3 - beat Iowa 41-14, and beat Wisconsin in B10 championship game - #7 final

Iowa - 2 Big Ten Championships
2002 - 11-2 - tied OSU, went to Orange Bowl runner-up
2004 - 10-2 went to Capital One Bowl (beat LSU and Nick Saban on last second TD)

2015 - 12-2 - lost to MSU in Big Ten Championship game, lost 45-15 to Stanford in Rose Bowl

Reactions: TheWizardofCamelot
PSU joined league play in 1993...
4 Big Ten championships
1994 - PSU - 12-0 - first unbeaten B10 champ since 1968 - beat Iowa 61-21 - Rose Bowl Champ - #2 behind Nebraska sympathy vote
2005 - PSU - 11-1 - didn't play Iowa (co-champ) - Orange Bowl Champ - #3
2008 - PSU - 11-2 - lost to Iowa by 1 pt in Kinnick - Rose Bowl Runner-up - #8 final
2016 - PSU - 11-3 - beat Iowa 41-14, and beat Wisconsin in B10 championship game - #7 final

Iowa - 2 Big Ten Championships
2002 - 11-2 - tied OSU, went to Orange Bowl runner-up
2004 - 10-2 went to Capital One Bowl (beat LSU and Nick Saban on last second TD)

2015 - 12-2 - lost to MSU in Big Ten Championship game, lost 45-15 to Stanford in Rose Bowl

This is what I'm talking about.
The free message board dwelling Iowa fans just lose their shit and can't think straight when their team climbs the ranks.
Just no grace. No class.
They can't "act like they've been there" because they rarely have been there.

Should Iowa beat PSU and crack the top 4?
Oh hell. Look the f**k out.
Now you will have rural Iowa guy completely out of his element, and it won't be pretty.

Prepare to hear Iowa Nice (lol) a lot. Also prepare to hear how amazing Iowa fans are because we WAVE TO KIDS.

This is what I'm talking about.
The free message board dwelling Iowa fans just lose their shit and can't think straight when their team climbs the ranks.
Just no grace. No class.
They can't "act like they've been there" because they rarely have been there.

Should Iowa beat PSU and crack the top 4?
Oh hell. Look the f**k out.
Now you will have rural Iowa guy completely out of his element, and it won't be pretty.

Prepare to hear Iowa Nice (lol) a lot. Also prepare to hear how amazing Iowa fans are because we WAVE TO KIDS.

As big a loser on other peoples boards as you are ours, I see. Clown.

Reactions: HawksDominate
A group of us went to Iowa in 2019. We were all dressed in White painters pants and certainly drew the attention of their fans. We had a blast! We met some fans who gave us beer and food. They welcomes with open arms. We had a very similar experience st Michigan the year before. Every fan base has knuckleheads. At the end of the day, people are people and most of the time if you treat them decent they’ll do the same.

ZD3epag.gif

I respect Iowa, we will not beat them easily (if at all), but their schedule is the equivalent of the ACC scheduling. Complete and utter BS.

Is worth noting that Iowa State shot themselves in the foot with a billion turnovers. If not for those turnovers, Iowa St. wins that game. There are good turnovers (kudos to great defensive play) and there are bad turnovers (complete flukes, completely unfortunate events and bone headed plays)…all of the Iowa St. turnovers were just bad.
By this measure, it is completely possible that had it not been for bad turnovers by the Wisconsin QB, the Badgers may have beaten us.

ADVERTISEMENT