ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

Oh come on. Grow some thicker skin. Plenty of respect for psu on the Iowa board as well. You act like your fan base doesn’t do the same thing.
I am a Penn State fan living in Iowa. I visit the Hawk board most everyday to catch up on Hawk news.
There are bad on every board, however, I can NOT think of anyone on this board ripping your coach Kirk. Go to the Iowa board and just read the unending hate for Franklin.

Don't let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant. I don't see anyone on the Iowa paid board bad mouthing PSU ( if it was Nebraska that would be a different story) Iowa people if anything are too nice and I have never witnessed a hostile act toward any visitors at Kinnick. We have an open message board that is a haven for imbeciles it is like reading comments on AOL message sites-complete garbage .Go there at your own risk as the purpose it to incite drama. Thank god a very minute percentage of people live their lives on these boards ( I am guilty but I am retired :) ) If you can't respect one of your own (Ferentz ) and appreciate the job he does with his little band of 2 and 3 star players against all the 4-5 star guys then you don't appreciate the beauty of football.

I've seen enough pedophile comments on there to know your fans are closer to Pitt fans than anyone else in the Big Ten.
Rutgers says...
giphy.gif

Keep it coming. I read the thread over your way. It had good discussion. I think fans going to rival boards don't understand that Iowa analysis is going to have a Hawkeye slant regardless. Its fine tho. As long as it's kept clean, I'll toss the pigskin with anybody.

I'll hopefully get to watch all of your game vs Maryland. From what little I've seen, your retooled DL has been impressive. They are getting sacks without a superstar type.

My curiosities are:

-how will y'all play our 4/5 wide sets? Maintain the 2 high safety look and flare your LBs or come down to matchup?

-will you blitz? Wisconsin did the entire game. Auburn did when they anticipated run, and on a few passes. Wisky got home more than Auburn. Wisky LBs were overall more impressive as well.

-how do you think your QB matches up? Mertz had all conference praise and it seems we quieted that down. Nix played one of his better road games, but he still couldn't stretch the field. Our defense is successfully making adjustments this year. Probably at a higher rate, this early, of any year under Franklin.

Good questions.

Iowa will likely stick with its base defense for the most part. A 4-2-5 with the 5th db being a Hybrid safety/linebacker. iowa does not blitz a ton as they rely heavily on the front 4 to get pressure, which so far they have done a pretty good job of doing. Iowa might blitz 10-15% of the time.

If you liked wisky lbers, you will likely be impressed with Iowa‘s. If you do watch the Maryland game, pay attention to jack Campbell (31) and Justin jacobs (5). They are both very active and disruptive. Seth benson is pretty good as well.

Our secondary is probably the best overall unit on the defense right now. They are ball hawking jesses that are just incredibly sound and disciplined. Rarely are they out of position.

As far as the qb………….. very meh so far. Iowa’s offense leaves plenty to be desired. Petras is more a game manager than a game changer, period. Throws mostly underneath and in the flat check downs. Not really stretching the field at all. To be fair, he hasn’t had to do much so far this year as Iowa has been playing with pretty comfortable leads and the coaches aren’t asking him to do much, but we Iowa fans get pretty frustrated with the lack of offensive production. It has to improve if we have any chance of beating you guys..

Peace out y’all. I mean no ill will here.

Don't let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant. I don't see anyone on the Iowa paid board bad mouthing PSU ( if it was Nebraska that would be a different story) Iowa people if anything are too nice and I have never witnessed a hostile act toward any visitors at Kinnick. We have an open message board that is a haven for imbeciles it is like reading comments on AOL message sites-complete garbage .Go there at your own risk as the purpose it to incite drama. Thank god a very minute percentage of people live their lives on these boards ( I am guilty but I am retired :) ) If you can't respect one of your own (Ferentz ) and appreciate the job he does with his little band of 2 and 3 star players against all the 4-5 star guys then you don't appreciate the beauty of football.
Oh c'mon. Unless your vision is impaired I doubt thats even close to being accurate.

Iowa fans are the dregs of college fandom. Lowest class fans I've ever encountered.
I don’t know if I’d go that far. There is serious competition for that prize. 😉

Anonymous internet sites depend on what the mods of individual boards allow. If they don’t keep it civil, the lowest common denominator tends to take over.

The Iowa posters online (generally) tend to be snarky to vile when it comes to anything Penn State related. They were absolutely the worst fan base visiting this site over the past 10 years or so. (Granted, that may be because the 10 online Pitt fans were likely already banned).

Oh c'mon. Unless your vision is impaired I doubt thats even close to being accurate.
My vision is okay for my age and my memory is 100% thanks for asking . You must be thinking of Wisconsin when it comes to being abusive towards a visiting fan base (they are a little farther north and wear red ) again don't waste a good hate even if it is misplaced. I certainly am glad you key board commandos are not actually playing in the game as I would fear for our players safety :)

LOL...these guys posting on this board are perfect gentlemen (Ladies) compared to the Hawkeye fans on the wrestling board since Cael Sanderson came to Penn State.
the Sanderson dislike is only because he is an Iowa Stater nothing else .I don't follow wrestling who won last year?

I am a Penn State fan living in Iowa. I visit the Hawk board most everyday to catch up on Hawk news.
There are bad on every board, however, I can NOT think of anyone on this board ripping your coach Kirk. Go to the Iowa board and just read the unending hate for Franklin.
I believe that revolves around his last coaching job

My vision is okay for my age and my memory is 100% thanks for asking . You must be thinking of Wisconsin when it comes to being abusive towards a visiting fan base (they are a little farther north and wear red ) again don't waste a good hate even if it is misplaced. I certainly am glad you key board commandos are not actually playing in the game as I would fear for our players safety :)
giphy.gif

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I don’t know if I’d go that far. There is serious competition for that prize. 😉

Anonymous internet sites depend on what the mods of individual boards allow. If they don’t keep it civil, the lowest common denominator tends to take over.

The Iowa posters online (generally) tend to be snarky to vile when it comes to anything Penn State related. They were absolutely the worst fan base visiting this site over the past 10 years or so. (Granted, that may be because the 10 online Pitt fans were likely already banned).
True, especially the part about the 10 online Pitt fans. With respect to Iowa fans, "that I've encountered" is optimal here. I am a big wrestling fan and have experienced it with those fans too. The dregs I tell ya. :)

I don't Penn State is going to be impacted by the pink locker room.
Bo covered it with paper the first time he saw it .Hayden knew he had him when Bo spent time redecorating - Iowa won that game 26-0 . One of the worst if not the worst loss during Bo's watch at Michigan-God I miss Hayden the old Marine psychologist whos' coaching tree reads like the college coaching hall of fame. Semper Fi.

Iowa fan here arriving for his shift.
You others can sign off now.

Since I've moved to AZ, I can now observe my own fan base from afar. It's weird.

Iowa fans kinda lose their shit when they climb the ranks.
"Act like you've been there" is exactly what we DON'T do.

So Iowa finds themselves at #5, and message board Iowa fans are crawling all over the web looking for the respect they feel they deserve from everyone.

Any slight, and look out. You're gonna hear it.

The game? Yeah I'm worried. You've had our number (cept last year). Who knows, maybe this year will be different. Still haven't seen enough of either team yet.

Good luck this year.

I like Iowa, and a night game at Kinnick is always a special thing -- like a night game at the Beav.

But I do think Iowa could be a little bit of an imposter. It's actually setting up pretty well for PSU. Iowa will not have played the kind of opponents PSU has played, and they won't have seen the kind of speed PSU brings, so they will be adjusting. Meanwhile the PSU D will remember well the humilation of last year's Iowa game which was one of their low points. They will be extra motivated to show they're not the same defense.

Not saying Iowa's not for real. But PSU can go into that game confident they'll compete a lot better this year.

But I do think Iowa could be a little bit of an imposter.

Agreed.
Indiana, Iowa State, and Kent State wins not exactly giants despite what they were ranked.

(Imagine if Iowa had beaten Wisconsin and Auburn so far? Oh boy. The fans would be harping non stop.)

I will say this tho. Iowa never plays strong for a full September. Until this year. So that's unique.

If you think that's bad, you should go to their wrestling board and see what they have to say about Cael.
So you're saying if I'm not outraged already I should go looking for reasons to become outraged? That's probably exactly what the BWI posters that are complaining already do. I couldn't care less what Iowa message board posters have to say on their board.

Good questions.

Iowa will likely stick with its base defense for the most part. A 4-2-5 with the 5th db being a Hybrid safety/linebacker. iowa does not blitz a ton as they rely heavily on the front 4 to get pressure, which so far they have done a pretty good job of doing. Iowa might blitz 10-15% of the time.

If you liked wisky lbers, you will likely be impressed with Iowa‘s. If you do watch the Maryland game, pay attention to jack Campbell (31) and Justin jacobs (5). They are both very active and disruptive. Seth benson is pretty good as well.

Our secondary is probably the best overall unit on the defense right now. They are ball hawking jesses that are just incredibly sound and disciplined. Rarely are they out of position.

As far as the qb………….. very meh so far. Iowa’s offense leaves plenty to be desired. Petras is more a game manager than a game changer, period. Throws mostly underneath and in the flat check downs. Not really stretching the field at all. To be fair, he hasn’t had to do much so far this year as Iowa has been playing with pretty comfortable leads and the coaches aren’t asking him to do much, but we Iowa fans get pretty frustrated with the lack of offensive production. It has to improve if we have any chance of beating you guys..

Peace out y’all. I mean no ill will here.

Love the chatter with y'all. Much appreciated. I generally enjoy y'all, other than the heartbreaking dagger kicks that ended some undefeated seasons. 😭 But that is football. No hards there.

Sounds to me that this game is going to be dependent upon the turnovers. We've been really good protecting the ball thus far, minus Lee (who is probably out most dangerous back, which they don't seem to bench). It's not hurt us yet, save for playing time.

Less than 2 weeks. I'm ready. It'll be great.

Reactions: psu00
I like Iowa, and a night game at Kinnick is always a special thing -- like a night game at the Beav.

But I do think Iowa could be a little bit of an imposter. It's actually setting up pretty well for PSU. Iowa will not have played the kind of opponents PSU has played, and they won't have seen the kind of speed PSU brings, so they will be adjusting. Meanwhile the PSU D will remember well the humilation of last year's Iowa game which was one of their low points. They will be extra motivated to show they're not the same defense.

Not saying Iowa's not for real. But PSU can go into that game confident they'll compete a lot better this year.
If you are a betting man, put your money on the fact that this game will be a BIG NOONER (11 am local) on Fox Network, so we won't have to deal with a nighttime crowd. Fox puts their big games in the noon slot (less competition) and they will likely be televising the NL playoffs that night.

Agreed.
Indiana, Iowa State, and Kent State wins not exactly giants despite what they were ranked.

(Imagine if Iowa had beaten Wisconsin and Auburn so far? Oh boy. The fans would be harping non stop.)

I will say this tho. Iowa never plays strong for a full September. Until this year. So that's unique.
They did back in 2002, except for the second half of the ISU game. This could be that kind of Iowa team, but I'm not sold on the offense if someone can shut down Goodson.

Last edited:
If you are a betting man, put your money on the fact that this game will be a BIG NOONER (11 am local) on Fox Network, so we won't have to deal with a nighttime crowd. Fox puts their big games in the noon slot (less competition) and they will likely be televising the NL playoffs that night.

Also, I'll be traveling at noon on that day another reason it will be noon.

How long until ro tells us that BIG NOONER was a girl he used to know?

Agreed.

They're a really good defensive team, we don't know if they're great but they are typical Iowa D. The opposite of Wisconsin -- they're not flashy, don't get sacks, they're built not to give up explosive plays and tough inside the red zone. When PSU beats Iowa it's because PSU's offense executes cleanly, doesn't make mistakes -- and PSU usually has a little more speed and depth which makes the difference.

I'm not persuaded about their offense.

They have a really good OL and a competent QB. In Iowa's glory years under Ferentz they always had an all-conference running back or two (Shonn Greene) and one game breaking receiver like McNutt or Johnson-Koulianos. Tyler Goodson is a very good tough back and if Iowa really commits to the run they could do what Auburn threatened to do with Bigsby. Goodson does not have Bigsby's quickness though. I'm pretty sure PSU will do a better job on the Iowa receivers than they did last year and that will put more pressure on the Iowa backfield.

Anyway, PSU and Iowa both works in progress so in three weeks these could be two really good teams.

Iowa at Maryland could be really interesting this year. Maryland can throw some speed at that Iowa D and make things interesting as long as Iowa doesn't totally dominate UM at the LOS.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT