ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa wants an asterisk 😂

They lost by 105.5 points. It's like a radio station playing the same songs over and over again. I'll think of this every time I tune my radio to FM 105.5. What should we name the station?

This would be their best move. If they really have to fire Tom though, they should do the right thing and give Terry the position.
Seriously can you imagine Tom and Terry standing in front of their team this coming week. What do they say? Let's do better and plan for next year. I read Caels response to starting back on Monday and he said they planned for next year three or four years ago. Talk about chess and checkers kind of feel for the brands brother because I wouldn't even know where to start climbing this mountain

Reactions: danoftw
Seriously can you imagine Tom and Terry standing in front of their team this coming week. What do they say? Let's do better and plan for next year. I read Caels response to starting back on Monday and he said they planned for next year three or four years ago. Talk about chess and checkers kind of feel for the brands brother because I wouldn't even know where to start climbing this mountain
I expect Brands will respond with something similar to the old joke phrase “The beatings will continue until morale improves.”

They will conclude that they have been too easy on their wrestlers, so they will call for even more brutal and intense practices. Eventually, they’ll be forfeiting weights in their duals because they will run out of wrestlers who are healthy enough to get on the mat.

well if tom doesn't get fired after this fiasco he never will!
I don't really see firing Brands as the answer. I don't know what is. In fairness, the team they were putting together may have been a little bit better than what we saw. They lost 2 AA starters to a gambling investigation that apparently never should have happened. They tried to make some moves, including possibly picking up AJ Ferrari mid-season. Even if they make all those moves and the AAs return they lose by maybe 70-80 points instead of 100.

We are basically where Iowa was in the 80s. The best wrestlers want to go to Penn State now. They don't really remember Iowa being a dominant team.

Cael is 44 and does not have health issues that I'm aware of that would impact his ability to still get on the mat. In addition, Cael's approach to wrestling seems pretty balanced, so I don't see it burning him out. Gable wore out physically by the time he was 49 because his hips were bad from what I heard. There may have been other reasons that he decided to step aside. The 170 point tournament was his last.

I'm not sure that the 172.5 will last 27 years like the last record. I think Cael and company's best work may still be ahead of them.

The problem isn't that Brands isn't competing with us it's that he doesn't seem to be improving the program.
Iowa has the budget, resources, fan base etc. to be winning national titles in wrestling, maybe not a team title but individuals.
In many recruits eyes it's not a good place right now.
Ayala being a finalist helped stop the bleeding but it won't hold if they don't put some guys in the finals.
Gabe and Ayala will be carrying the torch..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT