ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs. Rutgers "Discussion" Thread

I was assuming that he went 165because Rutgers figured he had a better chance of beating Marinelli than Kemerer, so try to get a split out of 157 and 165 than go 0-2, which wound up happening anyway. . .

This was my hunch when I first heard he might bump up for the dual. Then I was convinced this was the case after seeing that Goodale interview. He didn't do a very good job of masking why his lineup wasn't yet set.

#2 against UR and his team down 0-12. Hawk fans had a right to expect BS to show a bit more urgency.

Some of Iowa's younger wrestlers are adopting an offensive style, but Brandon's style is what we're used to from Iowa - maintain defensive position above all else.

Over of HR they are blaming their lack of offense Morningstar.

Sorensen used to have a more offensive style. Sure, maybe not a diversified portfolio, but he actually made more than 2 TD attempts per match. Since his freshman year, he has steadily clamped down on the action. Block, hold ground, lean forward. Repeat. Then ride.

The one time I thought he might break that downward offensive trend was in the dual vs. PSU last year.

Marinelli looked good. The match wouldn't have been as close without the homer no takedown call and the multiple lunger breaks for Lewis. Iowa is solid from 149-165.

Iowa has a chance to be solid from 149-285. Unfortunately for them, tOSU and PSU are more solid there -- at almost all 7 weights.

'Sorry, did I say perennial top 5? Meant to say eventual top 5. My bad' ----- RU Poster/fan ;)

#2 against UR and his team down 0-12. Hawk fans had a right to expect BS to show a bit more urgency.

Some of Iowa's younger wrestlers are adopting an offensive style, but Brandon's style is what we're used to from Iowa - maintain defensive position above all else.

Over of HR they are blaming their lack of offense Morningstar.

They can't very well blame TnT, the best coaches in the world.

RU lacks in everything but cabe TV subscribers.

Outside of that they bring this conference nothing

Well at least they are a division 11 what the heck does Maryland bring to big ten..Really all Rutgers and Maryland bring is east coast money to Big Ten office..

Reactions: diggerpup
Well at least they are a division 11 what the heck does Maryland bring to big ten..Really all Rutgers and Maryland bring is east coast money to Big Ten office..
Maryland can play basketball, but never ever discount the importance of east coast money.

Your seeing this through wrestling glasses.

As pointed out by others UoM is an accomplished university in many sports outside of wrestling. RU has no history and their future is very iffy.

As pointed out by others UoM is an accomplished university in many sports outside of wrestling. RU has no history and their future is very iffy.

If the B10 wants state's flagship schools, wouldn't the Deleware Blue Hens have been an equally good choice? (as Rutgers) Or the University of Rhode Island?

Ok thank you for the information. Is it their coach or is the school just don't give hoot? Looked like maybe a 125 people there. Don't follow much east coast stuff did not realize Maryland won that many.

Ok thank you for the information. Is it their coach or is the school just don't give hoot? Looked like maybe a 125 people there. Don't follow much east coast stuff did not realize Maryland won that many.
Maryland is not a wrestling state. The Terps will get 10-15000 for lacrosse, but wrestling is not popular at all. As mentioned earlier, winter means hoops in MD.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
If the B10 wants state's flagship schools, wouldn't the Deleware Blue Hens have been an equally good choice? (as Rutgers) Or the University of Rhode Island?
Hah! And just to accentuate: Delaware brings so much to the table that Joe Biden, long time Newark resident and adjunct professor at Widener Law School in north Wilmington, put his center at Penn.

This was my hunch when I first heard he might bump up for the dual. Then I was convinced this was the case after seeing that Goodale interview. He didn't do a very good job of masking why his lineup wasn't yet set.

Goodale made it sound like he bumped Richie just for the Iowa meet. But if you listed to Richie's interview on Flo, he indicated he and the coaches have been talking about making his move to 165 permanent (starts at 12:30). Not clear if he was referring to Goodale, Pritzlaff or both.

Truewrestling has the video up and IMHO, Richie actually looked as big if not bigger than Marinelli. Not that The Bull is a big 165er - he's very strong and stocky but he isn't big for the weight. Regardless, Richie will have to jump levels in his final season if he plans on standing on the podium in March. I'd say it's doubtful.

Maryland is not a wrestling state. The Terps will get 10-15000 for lacrosse, but wrestling is not popular at all. As mentioned earlier, winter means hoops in MD.
Youth wrestling is doing well here. I'm seeing full teams and crowded tournaments where I am.

Youth wrestling is doing well here. I'm seeing full teams and crowded tournaments where I am.
That could be, so sorry if I am wrong. I have a daughter- no youth wrestlers in our house. I know the HS scene is not big (from matches I have attended) and many parents say how they send their kids across the border to PA "for them to experience real competition." But as I said, that is not firsthand experience...I know UMd though, has no real wrestling fan support....

That could be, so sorry if I am wrong. I have a daughter- no youth wrestlers in our house. I know the HS scene is not big (from matches I have attended) and many parents say how they send their kids across the border to PA "for them to experience real competition." But as I said, that is not firsthand experience...I know UMd though, has no real wrestling fan support....
gotta wonder why. There are a couple of nice leagues in NoVa and some outstanding high schools. Maybe we need an ESPN pushing and making news of it (everyone knows how they make news and conversations out of nothing, or make up a debate themselves... clickbait on the radio!)

Iffy How? So silly..The History is not good across all sports but that will change with all sports being fully funded. As for Rutgers Wrestling joining The B1G you should be happy.

You are confused, Temple give a hoot!

Iffy How? So silly..The History is not good across all sports but that will change with all sports being fully funded. As for Rutgers Wrestling joining The B1G you should be happy.
On the wrestling merits, NYC TV market for football aside, we should be happier still if B10 took in Lock Haven instead.

BTW, that program is funded far less than Rutgers, had a recent AD actively sabotage the program, and has a lot more D1 competition for its in-state recruiting.

lets play it this way since your guest and calling me out. why not iffy? Your the RU guy tell us what sports will be good in the future due to the release of your new "funding". Tell us what up and coming coaches you have. Tell us what sports have top 15-25 recruiting classes. Tell us what sports are on the cusp of relevance.

I have a long standing position that Im ok being wrong. Please shut me up.

lets play it this way since your guest and calling me out. why not iffy? Your the RU guy tell us what sports will be good in the future due to the release of your new "funding". Tell us what up and coming coaches you have. Tell us what sports have top 15-25 recruiting classes. Tell us what sports are on the cusp of relevance.

I have a long standing position that Im ok being wrong. Please shut me up.
Grease truck Olympics?

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Princeton would have been a much better choice, but they said they were happy with their current league.

Curious as to what sports at Rutgers are now fully funded that were not before? Not saying I doubt you, but well, I doubt you.

Reactions: nitlion6
Curious as to what sports at Rutgers are now fully funded that were not before? Not saying I doubt you, but well, I doubt you.

They are for the most part. Rutgers fans think this money is going to new facilities etc to attract better athletes. Its not. It will go to pay back all the money the athletic department has been borrowing every year from the university to stay solvent. Rutgers was a horrible addition from an athletic standpoint to the Big. They literally are not good in any sport that adds to the Big. Even in wrestling they are average. At least Maryland excells in Lax and Soccer.

On the wrestling merits, NYC TV market for football aside, we should be happier still if B10 took in Lock Haven instead.

BTW, that program is funded far less than Rutgers, had a recent AD actively sabotage the program, and has a lot more D1 competition for its in-state recruiting.

...but still took out RU (aka perennial top 5) in wrestling

ADVERTISEMENT