Marinelli takedown, he's up 4-2.
Escape Lewis, now 4-3.
2nd ends 4-3.

Escape Lewis, tied 4-4.
Going to SV.

Marinelli wins 6-4.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildTurk and tikk10
I'm no Lewis fan but I do applaud him bumping up. But then, it's not as if Kemerer would've been easier. And a loss to Kemerer would've actually impacted his seed.

Lewis kept trying to double straight through Marinelli, which seemed a bit dumb given that he was ceding pounds and Marinelli is built like a.. I dunno, bull. Great match.

tough spot for the Iowa coaching staff. I get shirting guys for the future. But those 1st three weight classes aren't going to go over well on the home front. Interesting to see how it plays out in the next 3 weeks.

Lock Haven and Iowa both knock off perennial top 5 power Rutgers. I think the Rutgers staff needs to do a better job at recruiting fellow Big10 wrestling rooms. One recruit a year is going to make it difficult to stay in the top 5.

Not so wild prediction: SLee has more TDs in his first match at UNI open than Iowa has in this whole dual tonight.

I haven't seen the final takedown score for the entire dual, but this stat includes Kemdog facing a backup. Ouch.

I'm no Lewis fan but I do applaud him bumping up. But then, it's not as if Kemerer would've been easier. And a loss to Kemerer would've actually impacted his seed.

Lewis kept trying to double straight through Marinelli, which seemed a bit dumb given that he was ceding pounds and Marinelli is built like a.. I dunno, bull. Great match.
Don't lose that og thought

Did he bump up or did he keep his didn't make weight streak alive?

RU lacks in everything but cabe TV subscribers.

Outside of that they bring this conference nothing

Reactions: diggerpup
Well came out guess could say in a way luckly. Guess we find out more tomorrow Lee going at UNI open and 6 other freshman some say Murian istrying to make 133 myself would let him go 141.

Brandon Sorenson is wrestling like a guy who has trained his entire life to be a national champion and the realization that is not going to happen has become his conscious reality. He is currently wrestling like he has zero interest.

Brandon is a first class young man in every possible way. I think he has represented his school and state with grace and humility. Is he Zain? No. I sure wish I could have had the college career he has.
I do not disagree with anything you posted and I wasn't implying anything to the contrary. However, he is currently wrestling with very little interest or sense of urgency.

Reactions: lionlover
Marinelli looked good. The match wouldn't have been as close without the homer no takedown call and the multiple lunger breaks for Lewis. Iowa is solid from 149-165.

I do not disagree with anything you posted and I wasn't implying anything to the contrary. However, he is currently wrestling with very little interest or sense of urgency.

I know. I'm pretty defensive of this young man. Brandon is just such a great role model and the exact type of young man anybody would want to have around younger kids. I put him in the same class as Willie Miklus in terms of personality and a willingness to give back to youth wrestling. It isn't his fault he has a GOAT candidate looming in his weight class.

Did he bump up or did he keep his didn't make weight streak alive?
I was assuming that he went 165because Rutgers figured he had a better chance of beating Marinelli than Kemerer, so try to get a split out of 157 and 165 than go 0-2, which wound up happening anyway. He just end 156 for the U23, so regardless of whether he's a flake when it comes to the discipline side of making weight, 157 should be easily attainable. He did look smaller than Marinelli.

Reactions: slushhead

#2 against UR and his team down 0-12. Hawk fans had a right to expect BS to show a bit more urgency.

Some of Iowa's younger wrestlers are adopting an offensive style, but Brandon's style is what we're used to from Iowa - maintain defensive position above all else.

Over of HR they are blaming their lack of offense Morningstar.

#2 against UR and his team down 0-12. Hawk fans had a right to expect BS to show a bit more urgency.

Some of Iowa's younger wrestlers are adopting an offensive style, but Brandon's style is what we're used to from Iowa - maintain defensive position above all else.

Over of HR they are blaming their lack of offense Morningstar.

The HR would criticize the length of a little ol' ladies staaaaaalling call....... All Sorenson does is win, with a capital W. He is consistent and a good ambassador for the school.

What they need to focus on is that in year 10 of TnT they have zero - i repeat - zero point scores at 125-141. That is ridiculous for the self proclaimed best lite weight room in the country.

That stat might be a little off.... Kemerer had 6 takedowns... in the first period
Good -- though 3 takedowns in the first 4 weights isn't much better.

Hate to say I hope Sorensen is sick or dinged up -- I like him a lot, so it's hard to watch a returning national finalist, a guy capable of getting into a 9-8 match with Zain, have consecutive 4-1 snoozers over far lesser competition.

Winning and consistency are necessary and admirable, but surely Iowa's goal isn't beating Rutgers. So I hope he's dealing with something that's hindering him right now.

In my twisted mind the juxtaposition of low scoring + these signs is I know unrelated, but still pretty funny.

Reactions: Ja1339
Good -- though 3 takedowns in the first 4 weights isn't much better.

Hate to say I hope Sorensen is sick or dinged up -- I like him a lot, so it's hard to watch a returning national finalist, a guy capable of getting into a 9-8 match with Zain, have consecutive 4-1 snoozers over far lesser competition.

Winning and consistency are necessary and admirable, but surely Iowa's goal isn't beating Rutgers. So I hope he's dealing with something that's hindering him right now.

He is dealing with multiple injuries (lingering stuff) from years of wrestling and also a very tough cut. The part of his game that never developed is a top game. This is a theme at Iowa imo. The guys who run up big scores tend to use nearfall as the primary weapon. There has never been much shock and awe to Brandon, but he grinds guys down with hand fighting and pressure.

I think the one that grated Goodale the most was the characterization of Rutgers as a "nice" program, which I think you have to read as "nice little" program. Then there was the statement that Blair Academy's gym is equivalent to the RAC. Check out the promo for the dual.

I think the one that grated Goodale the most was the characterization of Rutgers as a "nice" program, which I think you have to read as "nice little" program. Then there was the statement that Blair Academy's gym is equivalent to the RAC. Check out the promo for the dual.

I think the tone and intensity of Goodale and Suriano show why this coach and team are a better fit for Nick than PSU. These guys are much more into "serious" than "f*n."

tough spot for the Iowa coaching staff. I get shirting guys for the future. But those 1st three weight classes aren't going to go over well on the home front. Interesting to see how it plays out in the next 3 weeks.
Sounds like the team I follow.

Lest it seem we're picking on Iowa ... Rutgers' next savior upset in Ironman quarters today.

ADVERTISEMENT