ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs. Rutgers "Discussion" Thread

Rumors of Lewis going 165 today. I suspect Goodale doesn't want to go 0-2 @ 157 & 165, so going all out to ensure at least 1 win there.

Goodale saying that he is insulted by comments from Iowa.
Seriously, or just trying to motivate the team?

Iowa 18 - 13.
Lewis is better off at 165. He is never going to beat Nolf and it is very unlikely he can beat Kemerer. There are a few dudes at 165 he isn:t going to beat either, but at least je can eat a bit.

Rutgers has at least a chance although losing to Lock Haven doesn't give me much confidence in picking them. They need 5 wins and to get some bonus along the way from at least two wrestlers with at least one of them getting 5 or 6 (talking to you Suriano). Even then they may not win but that would certainly give them a real shot.

Last edited:
What was said ?

I think the one that grated Goodale the most was the characterization of Rutgers as a "nice" program, which I think you have to read as "nice little" program. Then there was the statement that Blair Academy's gym is equivalent to the RAC. Check out the promo for the dual.

Thanks matter, first I saw that video...everything up till now was what others were telling me. Not much here.

Coach Goodale seemed pretty "amped" to me, re. Brands' comments. Imo, if that's how he's talking to his wrestlers, it may have the opposite effect than he wants, and they'll be equally "amped"...in his own words, that's not a good thing.

This to me is among the hardest elements of coaching (and forum posting ;))...to keep the wrestlers completely engaged (Coach Goodale said "laser focused"), yet not overly fired up, psyched up, pumped up, whatever one wants to call it. Energy drain results, and that emotional high can't be sustained. It's a human psychy thing, and one intangible where our coaches excel.

Last edited:
I will be there and plan to root for both teams to lose.
A tiebreaker going to the final criteria for either team would be a great result, except that would likely mean Rutgers wins it. But, the opposite result would be Iowa winning it.

What happens if it goes to seventh criteria and there are NO takedowns. That's the result I want.

Goodale seems like he'd be a good HS coach. But please spare me the drama and bravado in trying to lead a B1G program.

Lost count of the times he contradicted himself in addressing the Iowa comments and then saying "it's just another match." He's clearly hot-and-bothered, which will not help his wrestlers.

I hope Marinelli silences that crowd.

Goodale seems like he'd be a good HS coach. But please spare me the drama and bravado in trying to lead a B1G program.

Lost count of the times he contradicted himself in addressing the Iowa comments and then saying "it's just another match." He's clearly hot-and-bothered, which will not help his wrestlers.

I hope Marinelli silences that crowd.

My belief is that Donnie Pritzlaff is the guy that should be heading up that program. Too many years of hearing that Rutgers feels like it's a top ten program and that their room has multiple national champs in it for me to take Goodale seriously.

Goodale was a great HS coach at Jackson Regional in NJ and he did a great job in advancing Rutgers program to a point. But their recent relative success seems more attributable to Pritzlaff and it may be time for Goodale to step aside. Let's see how they do tonight. I am open to having my opinion changed and a win over Iowa would help in that regard.

My belief is that Donnie Pritzlaff is the guy that should be heading up that program. Too many years of hearing that Rutgers feels like it's a top ten program and that their room has multiple national champs in it for me to take Goodale seriously.

Goodale was a great HS coach at Jackson Regional in NJ and he did a great job in advancing Rutgers program to a point. But their recent relative success seems more attributable to Pritzlaff and it may be time for Goodale to step aside. Let's see how they do tonight. I am open to having my opinion changed and a win over Iowa would help in that regard.
Recruiting the Lorenzo Wrestling Complex is going to pay huge dividends for Goodale and Rutgers.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I think the one that grated Goodale the most was the characterization of Rutgers as a "nice" program, which I think you have to read as "nice little" program. Then there was the statement that Blair Academy's gym is equivalent to the RAC. Check out the promo for the dual.

I watched both Brands and Marinelli and Goodale is making a stink out of nothing. He's probably trying to add a little extra motivation here (not that his wrestlers should need it).

Reactions: Grass and WildTurk
I'd personally love to see the match start at 33 and then come down to the winner at 25. Then with the dual on the line Spencer comes out. That would be cool.

I watched both Brands and Marinelli and Goodale is making a stink out of nothing. He's probably trying to add a little extra motivation here (not that his wrestlers should need it).
Shouldn't "need it", but they just lost to LH, and probably do.

A tiebreaker going to the final criteria for either team would be a great result, except that would likely mean Rutgers wins it. But, the opposite result would be Iowa winning it.

What happens if it goes to seventh criteria and there are NO takedowns. That's the result I want.
whats his name is going to roll w TDs before sticking stickley.

No Ash = No chance. Iowa wins by double digits. Calms the HR down and they go into midlands talking not stop about the red shirts and a return to the "podium".

Not so wild prediction: SLee has more TDs in his first match at UNI open than Iowa has in this whole dual tonight.

Who is the yellow/black clad rodeo clown supposed to represent?

I think it would probably be Morningstar trying to keep Marinelli out of trouble after the match. Although I think there is a PD3 joke teed up and waiting for somebody to crush but I’m not taking the bait.
John, shouldn't you be getting with Vodka and the rest of barber shoppers to practice your unique rendition of Robert and Barbara's film soundtrack?

John, shouldn't you be getting with Vodka and the rest of barber shoppers to practice your unique rendition of Robert and Barbara's film soundtrack?

giphy.gif

that Goodale clip makes me want to route for Iowa.
I'm struggling with that a little bit.

should be a fun match.

cheers.
fm

Dang, Kem is a PA guy I always and will continue to love!!!! Iowa is getting alot of great pa guys I love.....Kem, Young and of no brainer LEE.....I can't route against them unless it actually affects PSU outcome in a major way!!!! Iowa is PA West Coast for the night!!! A big part of of me wishes lee would have wrestled and kicked suriano's ass.....yes I feel a little guilty!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT